The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 200/2.0 handheld

otumay

Last Saturday the weather was lovely. Seyhun (also a DPI member) and I went to the old city and mingled with the crowd. Seyhun's Canon 5D/II fitted with 70-200/4.0 IS seemed conveniently smaller compared to my D700 plus 200/2.0 combo. People close-by stared, even made very funny remarks concerning size and function, which I shall refrain from repeating here:eek:

Apart from a little haze, everything went smoothly. The results are posted on my flickr site, with some samples here. All comments and criticism most welcome.

Best,

Osman

Each in his/her own world

One of the better catchers

Not on his luckiest day

Graffiti, with apologies to Lloyd

Anybody care for chestnuts?

otumay

This is the second batch, with one more to follow.

Buying corns

Detail from the New Mosque (Yenicami)

Watchin' the ships roll by...

Well aware of her fine looks

Going to a soccer match is serious business

otumay

Phew, the last batch!
Thanks for your patience.

Believe me, they weren't catching anything

A grain silo by the seaside

I was spotted at the last moment

People trying to catch the train

Leander Tower

carstenw

Very nice photos, Osman. I was once in Istanbul, sadly not for so long, and I spent a bunch of my time there on the little islands just south of the city proper, but I would like to go back and explore more.

That 200/2VR has a very nice way of rendering, I must say. Has anyone been able to compare it to the Leica 180/2?

Lars

Thanks for sharing :) what a great lens that is. Say what you will about the haze - it really adds depth. Great pics.

To me, the second to last image stands out above the rest. Composition. balance, light.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Osman, These are wonderful. It is a fabulous lens and you use it well. I can't imagine using it for "street" myself. I sold mine because it was just too much for me to handle. Kudos to you.

otumay

Carsten, Lars, Steve, Cindy and Jørgen; I'm honored, thank you. I wish I have the energy and the will to use this lens more frequently.
Best,
Osman
P.S. Not the ideal comparison, I know, but I think I shall take Leica M8 with 135/4 this weekend.

Lars

Osman,

Do you ever find that bright sunlight is too bright for shooting wide open with the 200f2?

I run into that problem with my D700 and 50/1.4 sometimes, have to bring an ND filter if I want to shoot wide open in the middle of the day. 1/8000 at ISO 200 is not short enough.

Lars

Paratom

Very nice photos, Osman. I was once in Istanbul, sadly not for so long, and I spent a bunch of my time there on the little islands just south of the city proper, but I would like to go back and explore more.

That 200/2VR has a very nice way of rendering, I must say. Has anyone been able to compare it to the Leica 180/2?
Carsten,
I havent compared directly but after selling my DMR and Leica R glass including the 180/2.0 I was very happy when I saw the results from the Nikon 200/2.0VR.
Its hard to say without direct comparison and using the lenses on very different sensors (DMR vs Nikon) but my overall feeling is:
-both are very sharp
-both have a very creamy bokeh
-maybe eventually the Leica shows slightly more contrast and saturation while the Nikon to render slightly more creamy/dreamy (still very sharp and good contrast)
I was afraid to be disappointed of the Nikon after having used the Leica but I have to say the Nikon is really great.

2 things beside optical quality:
1) specially for the supershallow DOF of such a lens AF is really very usefull, and VR is a nice to have as well; for this reason alone the Nikon is much more usefull to me
2) sizewise the Leica wins by far, specially with the integrated hood, much less attention one draws

Paratom

And I forgot the most important: Osman-great iamges, I like the one with the fishermen most.

By the way I recently aquired the 70-200VR and the IQ on the D700 has become very good as well.
I shot several comparisons between those 2 lenses at f2.8 and surprized how good the 70-200 compares.
So for those days when the 200/2.0 seems too big its a good alternative to carry that zoom. (I did not find the 70-200VRI to be any close in IQ)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
And I forgot the most important: Osman-great iamges, I like the one with the fishermen most.

By the way I recently aquired the 70-200VR and the IQ on the D700 has become very good as well.
I shot several comparisons between those 2 lenses at f2.8 and surprized how good the 70-200 compares.
So for those days when the 200/2.0 seems too big its a good alternative to carry that zoom. (I did not find the 70-200VRI to be any close in IQ)
First some great images...you can see the IQ immediately with the 200/2 .

Two things to consider

1. The new 70-200 VR II approaches this image quality and offers the advantages of size and adaptability 70-200 ..which is important when you just can t easily move. The IQ of the previous 70-200 wasn t even close to this. So the gap between "the best" and the VRII is much closer.

2. For street shooting I find that you can very close . This more about "body language" ....most street shooting can be done at 8-12 ft ..and the images at 20-30ft are often the best and the most difficult.

This in no way takes away from the excellent collection of photographs as each photographer finds their own way . Like me shooting some tennis with an M8 ..not necessarily the best tool for the situation. This post is meant in the best way to just share a point of view .

otumay

Osman,

Do you ever find that bright sunlight is too bright for shooting wide open with the 200f2?

I run into that problem with my D700 and 50/1.4 sometimes, have to bring an ND filter if I want to shoot wide open in the middle of the day. 1/8000 at ISO 200 is not short enough.

Lars
Lars, that is indeed a problem situation. While shooting, I frequently wished my D700 had 1/16,000 sec capability, because the 200/2.0 yields excellent results wide open. The only way out was shooting at -2/3 or -1 stop.

otumay

Thank you t_streng and Roger.
t_streng, I wish I had the Leica 180/2. The images are fascinating.
Roger, I wish I had a way to exchange my older 70-200 with the new version.

Lloyd

Some truly impressive images, Osman. :bugeyes::bugeyes: That is certainly a very special lens, and I've often regretted selling mine, and your images make me do so yet again.

I agree with what's been said about the new 70-200 VRII, as does no less an authority than Bjørn Rørslett, who on the Nikonians Forum said he felt that differences between the two were minimal at best. That said, even having the new zoom, I'm still very tempted to get another 200/2. :D

Lloyd

Thank you Lloyd, the praise belongs to 200/2. I just happened to lift and shoot with it.
Really? So if I buy a Stratovarius I can play in the London Philharmonic? :D

Give yourself some credit, my friend. You took some really great shots, using a wonderful tool. But you have the eye.

fotografz

Nikon 200/2 VR was my favorite when I shot Nikon. Hand held it really comes into its own in very low light when mounted to a D700.

The Kirk hand grip makes it a LOT easier to work with. :thumbup:

D700 @ ISO 2000 1/160th shutter, 200/2 VR @ f/2

Lars

Really? So if I buy a Stratovarius I can play in the London Philharmonic? :D

Give yourself some credit, my friend. You took some really great shots, using a wonderful tool. But you have the eye.
What Lloyd said :)