The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Spring Morning

jonoslack

HI There
When I woke this morning, the sun was streaming through the bedroom window, I grabbed the camera and started shooting - the dog got his walk, and I got some pictures:

Sunny Spring Morning photos

I seem to have got to grips with the colours on the D3 now, most of these were shot with the 24-70, but one or two with the 70-300 and 14-24.

Real 'spring' lasts for so few days - right now everything's going green, next week it'll be white, the week after it's yellow, and then it's summer!

Comments and criticism welcome - please post your own spring shots as well (with apologies to the southern hemisphere! ). Three hours later and it's blowing a gale and pouring with rain :(

Terry

Jono-
I am always so jealous. Your house has the best freaking light ever! But just as much is being able to see the light and capture these images. I've been looking at them for more than a year since "meeting" on DPReview and each series has its own delights. From outside 11,12 and 17 are my favorites.

What have you done to solve your yellows/greens? Is it a preset for all shots or just for certain times of day/circumstances? Would love to see if it would apply to the D300.

jonoslack

Jono-
I am always so jealous. Your house has the best freaking light ever! But just as much is being able to see the light and capture these images. I've been looking at them for more than a year since "meeting" on DPReview and each series has its own delights. From outside 11,12 and 17 are my favorites.

What have you done to solve your yellows/greens? Is it a preset for all shots or just for certain times of day/circumstances? Would love to see if it would apply to the D300.
Hi Terry
The light - yes, enough windows is the thing I think:

Here's the kitchen:

and this is the bedroom:

Both taken with the 14-24.

As for the greens - I have abandoned AWB and use daylight or tungsten, and then sort from then on (at the very worst it gives you a level playing field).

Terry

Well, the window in my living room is 11 feet wide and in the bedroom simply huge at 13' wide but sadly they both face north so good light for everything but these sorts of photos that I love.

Joan

Jono,

I'll second everything Terry has said. Love the entire series, your ability to see and capture the light is amazing. Totally charmed by the still life work, simply beautiful stuff. And the horses, my goodness, splendid.

Your work makes me happy to be alive.

Best,
Joan

jonoslack

Well, the window in my living room is 11 feet wide and in the bedroom simply huge at 13' wide but sadly they both face north so good light for everything but these sorts of photos that I love.
My office windows are like that - one faces west, the other east .

the two rooms in the pictures each have 5 windows, and the extension itself is facing south, so light comes in all day long (yum).

Mind you, we have north facing windows as well, and they get beautiful evening sunlight in the summer time (don't yours?)

jonoslack

Jono,

I'll second everything Terry has said. Love the entire series, your ability to see and capture the light is amazing. Totally charmed by the still life work, simply beautiful stuff. And the horses, my goodness, splendid.

Your work makes me happy to be alive.

Best,
Joan
Oh! Joan I'm really touched. Mornings like this morning are to be treasured, if I've managed to get a little of that feeling across, then I've succeeded indeed (the dog was pleased too!).

Thank you - you couldn't have said anything nicer!

Terry

My office windows are like that - one faces west, the other east .

the two rooms in the pictures each have 5 windows, and the extension itself is facing south, so light comes in all day long (yum).

Mind you, we have north facing windows as well, and they get beautiful evening sunlight in the summer time (don't yours?)
perhaps I would if someone were to tear down the building directly across the street that blocks the direct sunshine summer and winter. I guess if I stop buying cameras and lenses I could get a penthouse higher than everyone else.

helenhill

Hi Jono
The Spring Morning Series is LUSH / Lovely Colors...... nice subtleties in the range of tones ....truly Lovely
but where is a shot of the Dog :bugeyes:
Best ! helen

BONDO
great shot as well
Did you post any info about the MB in FS thread ? how much ?
Thanks .....Best, helen

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Beautiful dreamy pictures of the morning light, Jono, all of them. My ultimate favourite is # 10, it's like still being in the middle of a nightdream. I often find myself shooting good light rather than a specific subject, and I love early morning light better than anything else. I even prefer it to late afternoon light, but maybe I'm just fooled by the fact that in general I feel better in the early morning than in late afternoon ? Or could it be influenced by the coolness in the air, after the night ? Do you as well see a difference ? Maybe I end up buying a Seconic WB meter to finally do some scientific investigations of this strange phenomenon :D

(Helen, I'm not sure what you mean ? I do mention the camera price in the very first post in my "FS: Black M8" thread, if that is what you mean. English is not my native language, and especially I have problems with the many acronyms floating around. By the way, finally a sale seems to be pending, of the camera body only. Please post any questions or send me an email or a PM if you want further informations).

Here's one more with magic spring light. ZF 1.4/50mm.

jonoslack

perhaps I would if someone were to tear down the building directly across the street that blocks the direct sunshine summer and winter. I guess if I stop buying cameras and lenses I could get a penthouse higher than everyone else.
Dynamite is obviously the answer Terry - I'm sure you can arrange it!

jonoslack

Gromitspapa - Vivek - thanks for responding - glad you like the shots.
As for the mess. . . . well, I'd prefer to call it 'busy'! Actually, Emma had just had a new saddle delivered, and, of course, it was necessary to unpack it in the kitchen.

jonoslack

Hi Jono
The Spring Morning Series is LUSH / Lovely Colors...... nice subtleties in the range of tones ....truly Lovely
but where is a shot of the Dog :bugeyes:
Best ! helen
HI Helen
Thank you - here's the dog (last two with M8, First one with D3)

jonoslack

Beautiful dreamy pictures of the morning light, Jono, all of them. My ultimate favourite is # 10, it's like still being in the middle of a nightdream. I often find myself shooting good light rather than a specific subject, and I love early morning light better than anything else. I even prefer it to late afternoon light, but maybe I'm just fooled by the fact that in general I feel better in the early morning than in late afternoon ? Or could it be influenced by the coolness in the air, after the night ? Do you as well see a difference ? Maybe I end up buying a Seconic WB meter to finally do some scientific investigations of this strange phenomenon :D
HI Bondo

Thank you - the horses in no 10 really were asleep I think - rather strange to look at.

Several Lovely shots, but perleeeaaase stop showing pictures with that Zeiss lens - I WANT one! Actually, what I really want is the 100mm macro, but it's sooo expensive, and the Nikon version with AF and VR is also tempting, and less than half the price.

Morning light always seems to me to be 'pink', whereas evening light is more orange - I love them both, but like you I prefer morning light (persuading myself out of bed is a different matter!)

I also love your lane shot, Graham Sutherland's Entrance to a Lane had a profound effect on me when I was a kid, and I'm always trying to capture that certain something.
Graham Sutherland's Green Lane Shot

Maarten

Jono,

Really nice series. I like the numbers 9, 13 and 18. I also love these light green times of spring when everything just start growing again.

I attached photo I which I tried to show this fragile first step of nature.

Thanks

V

Vivek

Jono, I liked the pics as well. My place is a bigger mess than yours and would not dare to show in public. :D

Here is a spring image.

D300, 50/1.2 AiS plus K1 extension ring @f/1.2