The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Spring Morning

dfarkas

Workshop Member
In Florida, we don't get Spring or Fall light like up North where the light streaks across the sky. The up side is that our winters are 72 degrees and sunny. :)

Great shots.

jonoslack

In Florida, we don't get Spring or Fall light like up North where the light streaks across the sky. The up side is that our winters are 72 degrees and sunny. :)

Great shots.
Thank you David - for the next 5 months I wouldn't swap . . . . and then I would!
Maybe another house in Florida is the answer :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's afternoon now, and we're late to get Spring. The first colors are just starting to show. Here's an attempt at shooting the 75lux with lens almost wide open.

Last edited:

helenhill

TRSmith; said:
It's afternoon now, and we're late to get Spring. The first colors are just starting to show. Here's an attempt at shooting the 75lux with lens almost wide open.
TRSMITH
THE FLOWER IS PURE MAGIC.........Best, Helen

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Terry and Helen: Thank you! I am really starting to enjoy the 75 and its dreamy oof stuff. Second glass of red and all I can say is ain't Spring grand!

jonoslack

That's lovely Terry

I'm afraid I cracked with the 105 nikkor today (part way through a 420 mile drive to collect Sim from University)

Here's my first shot with it:

Pear Blossom at f5

Must Rush, we have 6 people for dinner in 1/2 hour! (busy day?)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Congrats Jono, obviously your new 105mm VR Micro-Nikkor works perfectly. I want one, but for the moment I try hard to only sell stuff and not buy anything before we see what shows up at Photokina. Inspired by your beautiful "Spring Morning Light Through Tulip" I had to go tulip hunting in the garden and see what I could do with my ZF 1.4/85mm. It's definitely not a macro lens, shortest focusing range is 1 meter. Furthermore the ultra short distances are known not to be its favourite range. Anyway here goes, one has to use what one has got ...

It's not a Macro lens, but I like spring. A lot :)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Tulips and Magnolias - how lovely
Damn horse eat our magnolia tree!
Do you think you need to pull back the exposure a little on the magnolias (or do a highlight adjustment - it might be my monitor, but you seem to have lost a bit of detail there.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
You are completely right, and it's not your monitor. Funny thing is that I actually underexposed the captures by 1/3 or 2/3 stop in the first place exactly to avoid blown out areas, though apparently not enough. But then in post I got tempted to crank up the contrast a bit by levels in order to add some "pop", stupid me :rolleyes:
Now I have tried to rescue what could be rescued. Hope that helps a bit. Thanks Jono.
Btw. I understand your horses, these spring flowers look soo crisp and tasty I'm tempted to bite in them myself and I believe I have also seen cats and dogs tew on tulips ? Probably our destiny if we are irresistible :D

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hope it's not too trivial to show snapshots of 'pretty flowers in gentle spring light'.
But in lack of a true macro lens I can't resist playing a bit with the ZF 85mm now that finally spring is here with the usual explosion of flowers. Just love to inhale this light with some photographic machinery.
These blue flowers are Forget-Me-Not, nothing special here.

But look at the Forget-Me-Not making the blue out of focus background for this Snake's Head Fritillary ...

I think the bokeh of the 1.4/85mm is quite smooth. All these flower shots are of course heavily cropped (close to actual pixels) since the shortest focusing range of this lens is 1 meter.

Last edited:

jonoslack

These are lovely - especially the fritillary (I need to brush up my names)
One thing - you wont need to wait for Photokina; Nikon never make their announcements at the big shows these days - expect information in the second week of June.

Still, I think the Nikon macro lenses are settled - I can't see them bringing out another one (unless it's a 150 with the Nano coating).

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
... second week of June :eek:
in that case I need to quickly sell some more stuff
because I want an "AFS 4/300 VRII", please Nikon
and an "AFS 85mm" or an "AFS 135 VRII" like Jorgen suggested in another thread
and also I'm contemplating the ZF 2/100 Makro-Planar
and ... now let me see, what can I sell next :D

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Still one week left of Spring. Sunrise lighting seen from our balcony, WB on Daylight as told :) From this morning at 05:14
Maybe not an interesting motive, but I can't resist capturing good light when I see it. I love this time of the year, and I so much wish it would last longer.

D300 + ZF 85mm

jonoslack

HI Steen
Lovely view - how did you do the White balance? On my monitor the sunlight on the building is too yellow, lacks the pink tinge I'd expect to see on an early morning (of course, it could be my monitor, or it could be your morning sunlight!).

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I agree it looks totally wild. On the other hand I rushed for the tripod and the camera for a reason. When the sun rises or goes down, the lighting changes so fast you really have to act quickly to get what you see and sometimes can hardly believe yourself.
When I open the file in NX and open Base Adjustments >> RAW Adjustments >> White Balance, i can see the setting Direct Sunlight with no tint used, but I can't see the used Kelvin temperature which is rather annoying.
If I then choose Calculate Automatically instead of Recorded Value it sets a Kelvin of 4500 and immediately changes the colour balance a bit. The enlightened building does get a slightly more convincing and digestible colour, a bit less yellow, BUT unfortunately the white wall to the left turns more blue white and the black roof in the bottom of the image turns more blue black as well, i.e. they change to the cooler side and I think it spoils the total scenery a bit. I do remember it as insanely warm like pure gold poured out onto the building.
I think all I did to the file was I gave it a somewhat darkening curve because it was a bit blown out. Anyway, I am really a jerk with post processing so I'll let all of you take a look at the NEF file for yourself.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jczpbj8k2w3
Feel free to post your take on it. I can always choose to be stubborn and overrule you by saying "I was there, I know what I saw" :D

Last edited: