The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Spring Morning

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nop, with those values used in NX it tuns into a completely pink catastrophy.
Obviously we cannot transpose (do you have that word in english :confused:) WB values from one RAW converter to another.
Guess you need to post your take on it :) you use Aperture, right ?

jonoslack

Hi Steen
yes, I use aperture

I used the wb that seems to be the default on Aperture (i.e. 4981 -5) and then dropped the exposure - I could have raised the shadows a bit (maybe I'll do that in a minute.

shoot me down in flames!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I probably have to surrender colourwise, I realize my version must have been too insanely and screaming yellow, but I think the perfect solution would have to let the shadows stay rather deep and let the light on the building stay rather bright so that the "fairy tale castle" keeps shining / glowing in a strange and magic way.
At least that was what woke me up and made me head for a tripod and a camera. I'm sure you can see out of the crazy NEF file that I was met by a rather uncommon view this early morning.
Anyway, thanks for your efforts with the file, Jono :thumbup:
Here in Denmark GMT+1 it is now midnight and bed time, so I'll sleep on it and deside your destiny tomorrow :D

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono, you were completely right about dropping the exposure, actually that's all it takes. Basicly there's nothing wrong with the White Balance. The building surface was simply blown out, and this was what made the yellow go crazy.
If only I had chosen spot-metering, it probably wouldn't have happened.

Here is the image with EV -1 and immediately all colours behave nicely. Only one could argue that now the shadows become very deep, close to black.

I then tried to apply D-lighting, and basicly this looks ok apart from one problem. Now the shadow on the top right of the buildig turns light grey instead of dark grey. That's not really good, so I think maybe for now I prefer the pure EV -1 with the dark shadows.

Anyway, I'll keep the file. It´s an interesting test situation, and I suspect Lars' "Joeye" project might turn out to be the ideal answer to exactly a post processing situation like this :)

Thanks for your help with all this, Jono !

jonoslack

Hi Steen
Well . . . I still think it's too yellow, but I agree that the higher contrast is good, and perhaps you just need to allow an old man his obsession about this! My experience of morning light is that it's pinker than evening light, and I think the daylight conversion shows this better . . . of course, you were there, so you would know.

I'm never very keen on d-lighting myself, or perhaps I've never learned to use it very well, it seems to push the shadows and leave a gap in the middle.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great than i am still a teenager at 51. You old farts :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Aren't we like the new 30's or something like that. My wife said that when she turned 50 this month, I said may work for you but I feel over 50

jonoslack

Great than i am still a teenager at 51. You old farts :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Aren't we like the new 30's or something like that. My wife said that when she turned 50 this month, I said may work for you but I feel over 50
I definitely still feel like 25, which makes YOU the old fart :ROTFL::thumbs::clap:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

running out of spring
summer is starting
we are expecting rain today

©lick for native size

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/60 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX 2.4.7