The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Macro Decision

Terry

Has Sean or anyone done a comparison shoot with this lens? I would like to see shots from both versions to see if the newer one is worth getting. Especially on a D300 if possible.
Call David Farkas. He has shot with the new one.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Has Sean or anyone done a comparison shoot with this lens? I would like to see shots from both versions to see if the newer one is worth getting. Especially on a D300 if possible.
I posted on a thread with it some images. Now let's try to find it is the hard part

Greg Seitz

Hi Carlos,

I've had both the new and old 60 Micros. Unfortunately, I sold my old one before I purchased the new one since I was hoping for a bit more bite out of the new one. It's MTF on the Nikon site looks really good on paper but in practice I wasn't really impressed with the lens. I shot it on both the D3 and D300. On the D3 it was pretty nice but on the D300 it just didn't live up to my expectations since it was softer than I'd hoped. Don't know if it was a bad copy or not but it exhibited pretty bad red CA which showed up quite often when wide open and didn't really go away till F/5.6. Compared to the 105 it was pretty weak. Also, compared to the Canon 60mm EF-S macro it didn't really hold up. Here's a shot comparing the new Nikon and the Canon for comparison. I was really hoping it would perform on par with the Canon but it didn't.

First the Nikon scene and its crop followed by the Canon:

Thanks,

Greg

etrigan63

Hmmm. I may have to give it a test run. Little late for me to do it now. The Zeiss 50/2 Makro Planar looks to be amazing but the price is too high for me at the moment.

V

Vivek

Carlos, Pick up an old 55/3.5 Micronikkor for a few dollars. It is awesome on the D300, even for portraits.

Avoid the recent VR gizmos from Nikon unless you need the VR/AFS at the expense of image clarity.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Carlos,

As you might recall we have a Test Drive program in place for this very reason. You could try the AF 60 Micro, the AF-S 60 Micro and the ZF 50 Makro Planar all in one shot for a weekend and make your own conclusion. When you come in during the week I can show you the different options if you'd like.

David