The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon vs Nikon vs Onions

V

Vivek

I posted an image from the 50/1.2 AiS (D300, Live view focusing), wide open, earlier.

Here is the same subject using a Canon 50/0.95 on an Epson R-D1s (Focused using the RF and reframed).

The magnifications are not the same in both images but the OOF rendition of the Canon 50/0.95 with respect to foliage is quite remarkable.

robmac

I like the bokeh on the 1.2, reasonably sharp. The 0.95 seems to draw the 'flowers' (they look familiar but can't place them) a bit better, but that bokeh is something else.

Terry

I much prefer the first shot. Your eye goes to the flower and the background is a backdrop for the shot. On the second one the huge swirl of the bokeh gets your eye moving around the background and not to the flower. I am looking on a small screen perhaps when on a large screen where there is more space for your eyes to roam it would look somewhat different.

Greg Seitz

The Canon 50/0.95 is a very special lens. What it does to any subject is rather unpredictable (at least initially).

Here is my favorite example (small size):

Larger size and another of the weird bokeh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/1074829923/
and http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/1075691040/.

The flowers are Dicentra spectabilis (aka bleeding hearts).

Edit: Fixed the links.
Very cool shot, that's pretty wild - I'm hypnotized!

I see a face in the background. :ROTFL:

clay stewart

I'm impressed with the Nikon 1.2 lens. The Canon 0.95 seems busy and distracting. I'm sure the extra speed would help in some respects, but the bokeh reminds me of the Canon 35/2 with a five blade aperature, only worse.

V

Vivek

I'm impressed with the Nikon 1.2 lens. The Canon 0.95 seems busy and distracting. I'm sure the extra speed would help in some respects, but the bokeh reminds me of the Canon 35/2 with a five blade aperature, only worse.

I was being specific about the foliage and the 50/0.95. I don't have the 35/2 but I doubt it will be anywhere close to the 50/0.95 in terms of clarity.

V

Vivek

No worries, Clay. Here are couple of more shots using the same combo (@f/0.95).

This lens is glued onto the Espon and is the only reason why I did not sell that camera.:eek: