The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noct Samples

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I recently parted ways with my Leica Noctilux, a very fine lens. As an alternative, I ended up grabbing a Nikon Noct to see how it performed on the D3.

As background, I need to say that I really like shooting with a narrow field of focus. And, manual focus isn't much of an issue as I've had plenty of practice with the M8 and DMR. It's more of a personal style. So, I was very interested to see how the Noct performs as there aren't too many images that I could find with the D3 and the Noct.

After two weeks, I have to admit is has become my favorite lens to use on the D3. You can really tell that the lens uses a hand-polished aspheric element, as the colors, contrast and sharpness jump right out at you. It's not summilux 50/1.4 asph sharp, but plenty sharp enough for my taste.

What's really impressed me is the bokeh. It's buttery smooth.

Here are a few images from a variety of situations.

Kurt

V

Vivek

The first and the last two do not exactly show a "buttery" smooth OOF background, IMO.

Glad to know that you like the beast.:)

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt,
I this effect, too bad it's so darn expensive to achieve. From what I can see you still need to be careful about what is in the background since this affects the look of the bokeh. I especially like the shot of the white flowers... Some of these almost look like the effect you would get with a tilt shift lens. Might make for an interesting comparison.

vieri

Kurt, thank you for sharing - I have to agree with Vivek on pic nr. 1 & the last two, though, the Noct doesn't suit all subjects when it comes to bokeh IMHO; for instances with leaves and backgrounds busy with small objects aren't the strong suit of this lens, you get a "double-edge" effect that I find, more than buttery, very active to the point of making the viewer dizzy :D Great lens nonetheless, and very good rendition of OOF areas in most cases.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Beautiful shots, Kurt, and perfectly focused. At what apertures are you able to manually focus it with the D3, and with the D300 if you kept that body as well ? I only have the D300 and I wonder if I would be able to take advantage of such a fast manual focus lens.
Btw. I have often wondered why some images are totally stripped of Exif informations, is it Photoshop that does this ?

woodyspedden

Beautiful shots, Kurt, and perfectly focused. At what apertures are you able to manually focus it with the D3, and with the D300 if you kept that body as well ? I only have the D300 and I wonder if I would be able to take advantage of such a fast manual focus lens.
Btw. I have often wondered why some images are totally stripped of Exif informations, is it Photoshop that does this ?
Love Kurt's work but don't know how you can say perfectly focussed. The shots of the dog are awfully focussed unless you love the tip of his nose. No attempt at criticism here, but don't have any agreement with your conclusions

Best

Woody

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh sorry Woody, I was especially thinking of the first seven images of the sign, the flower, the sprout, the branch with leaves, the son (?), and the daughter. I assumed the last three ones were just some quick trials of the ability to focus such a fast manual focus lens on some desided targets, like a dogs nose tip, a tree, etc.
That was why I was curious to peep into the Exif informations, and that was why I asked whether Kurt still has the D300 as well. I reckon it must be pretty difficult to manually focus such a fast lens close to wide open especially with the D300 viewfinder, since on my D300 I already have difficulties focusing my 1.4/85 wide open or even close to wide open. I should have elaborated this in my former post.

Gromits, thanks for the tip, now I understand why I see this so often.

A

asabet

Beautiful work Kurt. I know it makes some people dizzy, but I'm a sucker for the kind of "swirly" bokeh shown in #4. So much so that I'd be taping cones to mechanically vignette the back of my Zuiko 50/1.2 if it weren't a risk to the mirror of my OM-2N and 5D :).

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comment, Guy. At least it's a little less expensive than the Leica Noctilux.

Vivek, I usually try to avoid scenes where the swirly background gets to be overwhelming, but thought that I'd post a range of different scenes and subjects. I agree, when away from busy backgrounds, I've found the bokeh to be very appealing to my eyes.

Hi David, like with the Noctilux and the Canon .95, it's best to avoid scenes with lots of branches as they seem to be bothersome.

Hi Steen, these were all shot wide open at f1.2. Sorry for the loss of exif information. Also, they were also shot with the D3. I don't have the D300 anymore, but think that this would be a lot of fun to mess around with on the D300 ... it'd be like using an 87/1.2.

Woody, I admit that I miss once in awhile. But, I don't miss by that much. I meant for the dog's nose to be in focus ... I just wanted to try something a little different. I've attached another from the same evening when I was shooting for the eye. Again, this is at f1.2.

Amin, I'm of the mindset that you have to follow your own muse. So, if it is swirly you like, find whatever way you can to make them swirly.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Whoa, all of them at f/1.2 :eek:
In that case I think I need to even repeat that I'm deeply impressed by your ability to manually focus that beast. Being pretty close with an FX sensor angle of view the DOF must be so scary thin. Yesterday I searched for the lens on some european eBay sites and only found one up for sale. Still seven days left but already 14 bids and looks like it's not exactly gonna end up cheap. I agree with Amin, number four looks like the entrance to a Magical Mystery Tour. Congrats with the Noct-Nikkor, Kurt.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Steen, thanks for the compliment.

I'm afraid it's kind of a weird attraction to narrow DOF for me. Maybe it's a need to add a bit of dreaminess to the ordinary. Others, I'm certain, would argue that having one eye out of focus just for the sake of having it out of focus is nothing spectacular. Perhaps, but I think a narrow DOF image offers the viewer of the image an opportunity to think about the scene differently ... with less certainty perhaps.

It's a shame that the lens has become expensive. Even more as it means that there are probably quite a few copies that are sitting idly on collector's shelves. IMHO, it's very impressive in terms of clarity, color and contrast. It's the kind of lens that challenges the fat pixels of the D3 to do their job.

Kurt

Interesting thread here Kurt, especially as we are discussing that 90 apo of yours. I sold my noct a few weeks ago to fund 3 Zeiss lenses, the 50 and 100/2.0 makro-planars, and the 35/2. I agree the noct is a fine lens, but I am not as taken with it as you are. I prefer the bokeh from the Zeiss 50 actually, but 1.2 aspherical is what it is. What's especially ironic is that I may be selling my noctilux as well, and use some of that money to buy your 90! And this is partially the same logic. The high price of both "nocts" covers several other superb lenses and provides more flexibility. But oh, those nocts! best...Peter

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Peter, and welcome to the forum. I've probably bought and sold at least one lens from most of the regular members on this forum (although Guy is probably at about three lenses per each of the regular members on this forum ... and most of the regular members of all forums :D). Most of the people here have been trading lenses off and on starting on Fred Miranda a few years ago.

I have the ZF100, which is a favorite, and have spent a week or so with the ZF50 before returning it to get the Noct. I have nothing but positives for the ZF50 but like pushing things at 1.2.

I used the funds from the sale of my noctilux and just a little extra cash to fund the acquisition of a noct and a 28/1.4. My everyday kit with the D3 has become the 28/1.4, noct and 85/1.4.

Kurt

Great kit Kurt, I also have a 28/1.4 from way back and the 85/1.4. And it is wonderful the way we spread these lenses around to each other. After selling my noct on the Cafe' I really decided that we don't ever own these things, just hold them a while, and appreciate them no matter whose hands they happen to find themselves in! best...Peter

A

asabet

That sounds like one sweet kit Kurt! Is the 28/1.4 living up to your expectations?

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt,
I was shooting my friend's D3 this week and he got himself a magnifying eyepiece for it. Makes quite a big difference if you're going to be doing manual focus a lot. For me the D3 is AF all the way but I admire those of you who are going with the great glass and MF.