The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

shtarka1

One from yesterday.

D3, 14-24/2.8 @ 14mm, f3.2, ISO 400:
Stunning Young Lady Uncle!
I've been busy with my Europe trip preparations recently but this is all positive. I got myself Nikon 14-24/2.8 but haven't really tried it yet. Hopefully tomorrow will do some shooting. For now some pics from recent days (D3x, DC 135/2):

Superb Composition!
I know, I keep shooting this skyline. Eventually, I'll get it right. Cheers, Matt.

D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 200mm; 1/1600s @ f/4; ISO 400

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Still Fantastic!
Here's the group shot of my students (including yours truly). The middle school principal once again made the mistake of letting us take our own picture (bwahahahahahaha!), and this is the result.

Nikon D700 + Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8@ 1/200s, f/4, manual, two 150W no-name studio lights shot through white umbrellas, no-name radio trigger for flashes, camera on a timer.

Cool Grab!

etrigan63

Lovely result Carlos. Again.
Btw, why "5 remaining students"? :confused:
I started the class with 15 students enrolled and 10 dropped out for various reasons. This is an afterschool class and other activities intruded that they felt were more important than photography. These 5 "survivors" have shown a great deal of creativity and willingness to learn (even if I have to prod them to complete their assignments).

It's also a multiplicity shot. The students photographing the class are my 5 students.

Lloyd

I'm also surprised Alex, some days ago we were talking about prom night, weren't we? :confused:
How fast things go...

(or it's just a nice dress) :)

Beautifully shot, Lloyd. Fill light is absolutely spot on.
Thank you Corlan. Much appreciated.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I started the class with 15 students enrolled and 10 dropped out for various reasons. This is an afterschool class and other activities intruded that they felt were more important than photography. These 5 "survivors" have shown a great deal of creativity and willingness to learn (even if I have to prod them to complete their assignments).

It's also a multiplicity shot. The students photographing the class are my 5 students.
Got the multiplicity shot alright -hence the "time lapse remark ;)
I remember your excellent experiment in this regard a year or so ago, then more recently with your student in class.

Too bad there's only 5 remaining then.
Whatever, quality over quantity, hey? :)

Thanks Alex. The wedding is the end of June. This was from a bridal portrait session.
Forgot to mention that i'm quite impressed on how smooth and exact you got the dress whites and skin tones.
And the soft movement in the lower part of the dress... lot of processing?
(doesn't look like it anyhow)

etrigan63

Thanks Corlan. The afterschool class was new for the curriculum this year. Previously it was taught as an elective class and it conflicted with other school activities that would have benefited from attending (newsletter, yearbook, magazine, public relations, etc...) so these kids were my guinea pigs as well. This is my first year teaching the course. The kids are spreading the word to rest of the student body and I am already getting messages from students who want to attend my class in the fall. The administration is now talking about having an advanced class as well.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
The boat elevator, in b&w:

Talking about windmills, for once a couple of commercial shots (corporate documentation). These contraptions are not always easy to make look good -photos below are handhled, the final versions are on a tripod etc., but i kinda like these two:

Last edited:

Lloyd

Forgot to mention that i'm quite impressed on how smooth and exact you got the dress whites and skin tones.
And the soft movement in the lower part of the dress... lot of processing?
(doesn't look like it anyhow)
Thanks Corlan. Not much processing. About 4-5 minutes in Lightroom. I used an Exposure adjustment brush on the dress, to bring up the lower portion by about two thirds of a stop. And, I did clone out a small reflection of the shoot through umbrella that was visible in the window in the lower right side. That's it.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Corlan. Not much processing. About 4-5 minutes in Lightroom. I used an Exposure adjustment brush on the dress, to bring up the lower portion by about two thirds of a stop. And, I did clone out a small reflection of the shoot through umbrella that was visible in the window in the lower right side. That's it.
There had to be some corrections in the lower part (hence the question), but apparently nothing out of the ordinary. That's probably why it looks so good, too.

Btw, re the second shot, it works quite well also in 3/4 format (just tried). A different proposition, maybe less "eerie" but possibly slightly more impacting. DIffernent purposes.

Superb job, LLoyd.

Lloyd

The boat elevator, in b&w:
Very interesting structure. I never would have guessed its purpose in a million years. I still can't picture how it works.

Talking about windmills, for once a couple of commercial shots (corporate documentation). These contraptions are not always easy to make look good -photos below are handhled, the final versions are on a tripod etc., but i kinda like these two:
I like the stark, graphic quality of these. Well done, my friend.

Lloyd

Btw, re the second shot, it works quite well also in 3/4 format (just tried). A different proposition, maybe less "eerie" but possibly slightly more impacting. DIffernent purposes.

Superb job, LLoyd.
Thanks again Corlan. As for the "3/4 format", I'm not tracking here... cant picture what you mean. Love to see an exmple. (Sorry, I'm a little "off" today. I got food poisoning at lunch, and am on some medication, so my thinking is a little fuzzy just now.)

m_driscoll

Re: Forty-nine Fantastic Photographers and Me

Matt, just love your latest sailboat picture, so intense and dramatic
I've shown you some of the architecture ;)
With regards to artifacts I'm more of a street rat than a museum lion, so I may not be the right to ask.
But according to this gentleman you are absolutely right :D

click for larger size

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/125 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX
Steen: Thank you. The color and viewpoint of this image are quite nice. I'm still not sure about D-lighting. Unless the RAW image is converted in NX2, I think you lose the effect?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
One last from the "wind" series:

Four Poplars on a ridge:

Matt: can't answer for Lars and Steen, esp since i never use DL in camera. That said out of NX2 in my experience you lose all camera adjustments including DL. Typically in LR/ACR, C1, Aperture etc. you start over with the RAW data. only processed tiffs and jpegs will embed these adjustments. But then of course, you can't go back.

One last note on DL: except for extreme situations (e.g. Lars shot last page), DL can help you extract a lot of apprent "details" (following your recent comment) in some areas, but otoh you more than often loose contrast and pop. Plus, if your photo is correctly exposed in the first place (as a whole or the main subject), it can easily become counter productive if you don't handle the function with care. In one word, for general purpose photography, as you can tell i'm no huge fan ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Matt, the last sailboat photo is just brilliant.

Love the rood tiles, Steen.

Excellent health farm images, Steves. More real than reality.