The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

shtarka1

Corlan, Your Making Me Want A 3rd Copy Of The 105VR! Why I Keep Trading This In Is Beyond Me! Sharp Set!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I like the ice-cream man, Rayyan. Looks like he has stolen a few moments of pleasure.

I've been trying out the GH1 lately. Photos on the 4/3 forum. So far, my impressions of the camera are mixed. It has a couple of flaws that makes me long back to my Nikons. Ergonomics are important. Interesting situations last so short sometimes that having to push two buttons instead of one might make the difference between getting the shot or not. Then there's DR. Even the D80 easily beats it there, at least at low ISO. The Panasonic is great for video though. Nikon can't touch it there.

Oh, and I would seriously like to see some rumours about new Nikons. I'm ready for a new body, but would hate it if I bought a D90 or D300s and 18MP replacements with clean ISO 500,000 were out the week after.

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Nice series, Corlan. Great results with that combo. Nice to see some things are worth doing the old fashion way. :thumbup:
Corian: My kind of town, My kind of people. My kind of shots.

Intoxicating Stuff Corian. Brilliant. :thumbup:
Corlan: +1, nice series. That is the supreme, swiss army knife of macros. Love the drop. Cheers, Matt.
Corlan... awesome set!! Love the cause and effect!

OK.. back to editing... Whew!
Corlan, Your Making Me Want A 3rd Copy Of The 105VR! Why I Keep Trading This In Is Beyond Me! Sharp Set!
Thanks my friends.
Initially wanted to post "Cause" and "Effect", but thought giving a bit of context wouldn't hurt.

Steve, can't figure out why you would do that. Oh, maybe you own too many great lenses, that's why :D I don't :eek: Hey btw, you don't seem to shoot this junk 200mm of yours lately. If the closet needs a bit cleaning up, let me know. :angel:

Matt: not only a macro kit -more to come from the same day, soon :lecture: more seriously, i know you didn't mean it this way... it's still true that despite having tested and/or owned a number of lens, in the end i do show a strong inclination using those with macro (or PC) design for all-purpose shooting. Maybe i'm weird. :confused:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Grandpa: Nicely said and photographed. Looks like the same pp that you'd described the other day. The substructure at the colosseum's amazing. it's like beneath a Broadway stage. Gladiator's popping up in a cloud of smoke and fire. :)
+1 Well said.
Rayyan, love the composition on the first one, then for some reason the second one looks very impressive to me (not only the angle). Nice.

Looks like lots more to catch up on! Lots of great stuff as usual!

Just got back from a shoot in NYC and thought I would sneak this one on the board...

Jason: love this shot :thumbup:. Somehow a classic, but quite nicely revisited. It'll be a superb illustration for a CD/DVD booklet (as long as they still print these, that is :().

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I like the ice-cream man, Rayyan. Looks like he has stolen a few moments of pleasure.

I've been trying out the GH1 lately. Photos on the 4/3 forum. So far, my impressions of the camera are mixed. It has a couple of flaws that makes me long back to my Nikons. Ergonomics are important. Interesting situations last so short sometimes that having to push two buttons instead of one might make the difference between getting the shot or not. Then there's DR. Even the D80 easily beats it there, at least at low ISO. The Panasonic is great for video though. Nikon can't touch it there.

Oh, and I would seriously like to see some rumours about new Nikons. I'm ready for a new body, but would hate it if I bought a D90 or D300s and 18MP replacements with clean ISO 500,000 were out the week after.
Hi Jorgen,
nice to see you back already. From your previous post we thought you were gone for weeks, if not months. Haven't looked at the GH1 photos yet, but what you're saying makes me think... remember when photo cameras used to be smaller than their much bulkier video couterparts? Modern times are full of paradox, aren't they... :rolleyes:

Lloyd

Listen, I said to Hamza. Listen to what grandpa? asked Hamza.

To the stones, I said. They are talking to me.

Hamza thought his grandpa had gone mad. Hamza, I asked..do you know
what will happen in 1000 years?, 2000?, 5000?, 10000?.

I know Hamza, because the stones talk to me. They talked to me in Greece,
Turkey, Baghdad, Damascus, Egypt, Lebanon,Mexico, China. They were talking to me now.

We were in Rome..

What are they saying grandapa?

The same as all the others Hamza. I said.

I told Hamza about a people. They thought they were the richest. They were
the most powerful. The earth would split when the Roman Legions marched.
They thought they would rule forever. They were the gods.

The had the banners of power, invincible power. They had the science, they
had the culture, the had the might, they had the wealth and their centurions
marched with the strongest armies known to man. Mounted on the best
stallions. SPQR displayed proudly. They marched for Rome. They marched for Augustus Caesar. The world lived in their fear.

Invincible..the legions of Augustus Caesar. Invincible..like the Pharos of Egypt. The turn of a thumb. The power of life or death

What happened to them grandpa?, asked Hamza. What always happens Hamza, I replied. Just ask the stones. They know. Learn from the stones Hamza, I said. Hear the stones cry..

I picked up a small Augustus Caesar's stone and threw it back amongst the ruins, where it belonged.
Your grandpa's right, Hamza. The stones know.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,
nice to see you back already. From your previous post we thought you were gone for weeks, if not months. Haven't looked at the GH1 photos yet, but what you're saying makes me think... remember when photo cameras used to be smaller than their much bulkier video couterparts? Modern times are full of paradox, aren't they... :rolleyes:
Well, I am kind of gone for the time being. Personal challenges plus job assignments prohibits me from taking the time needed to make the photos I would have liked to make. Still, I do take photos, and I experiment with equipment to find a setup that will work for motor-racing as well as for weddings or product shots. I should buy a D700, right?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Well, I am kind of gone for the time being. Personal challenges plus job assignments prohibits me from taking the time needed to make the photos I would have liked to make. Still, I do take photos, and I experiment with equipment to find a setup that will work for motor-racing as well as for weddings or product shots. I should buy a D700, right?
Hopefully the personal side is not too overwhelming.

D700? i posted a few things and considerations about it (again, i know) on last page or the one before that. I really think it's one of the very best tools out there short of higher pixel count. D3 are still more expensive, D700 represents the best value and flexibility in the Nikon world. And btw, not unlike other people 24 Mp are not always twice 12Mp: from experience usable print size between a D700/D3 file and say a 5DMkII is much closer than expected. Go figure.

(the D3X though produces nicer, much larger files -but beside the pixel count, as mentionned before we're a little bit into MF territory since the files can take a good amount of processing if needed, thanks to the extended DR and... well, i don't know why for sure, but they do handle the heat well :))

m_driscoll

Matt: Thanks. Same pp. I just want Hamza to grow up to be a decent, honest and caring human being for his country and towards his countrymen.
Because then he would feel the same towards us. I couldn't ask for more. I would hold my head up high. I would have taught him well.
rayan: :salute:

Matt... was really wanting your 14-24 on the shoot. I am still kicking myself for being overly cautious with my spending... Looks like you're kicking it with the 16-35 though. Miss the extra stop for DOF purposes at all?
Jason: I am liking the 16-35. The VR is a plus. The DOF a minus.

Jorgen: I had a G1, GH1, and GF1. Great cameras. A lot of my favorite pics over the last 6 months were with them. The Panasonic lenses are quite good (and with adapters, you can use practically every other lens). I stopped using them whenI got the M9. So, I sold them all. Also, that made too many forums to follow! :LOL: I was hoping that Leica would adopt the m4/3 format; but, instead we got the X1. The latest Nikon rumors suggest two new DSLR's this year. announcement in July. Yeah, sure!! Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Matt,
I only use the GH1 with "alternative" lenses now (Zuiko, Nikkor and Zeiss). My two gripes with the camera are:

- Enlarging details for manual focusing is a two-button process, and my thumb can't reach those buttons without the left hand carrying the weight of the camera, making focusing awkward. The ideal solution would be to be able to re-program the AF/AE-Lock button for this, automatically selecting the area used the last time. This would probably save me around 75% of the time I spend focusing.

- DR isn't great, which is more or less as expected, but the blue channel seems to clip later than the others, often leaving a cyan fringe around the blown area. I'm obviously spoiled by the Fujis with regards to this, and should Fuji launch a m4/3 camera, I would be first in line. Should Olympus launch an m4/3 pro body with a Fuji sensor, I would travel to wherever they make it and pull one right off the assembly line. The ergonomics of Olympus pro cameras suits me well.

Corlan,
The logical upgrade for me would probably be a D700 plus whatever they replace the D90 with. A D3X would be perfect, but at the moment, it's not possible. None of these are perfect for travel (the good Nikon primes are simply to large and heavy). The Pentax K-7 is ideal, but I would have to invest around $2,500-3,000 for camera plus three Limited primes, and that's not on my budget either.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's possible to have too many cameras or too many lenses. Every time, I reach the same conclusion: I use almost all of what I have, and see great future potential in the rest, so why worry?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There were 8 of us. Ayesha, me, my 2 sons and 4 grandchildren. It was a long
flight. seemed much longer than the 4.5 hrs to Leonardo da Vinci. have you changed planes at Leonardo da Vinci. Don't.

The kids ( smallest ones ) had wanted to chase windmills. I too!!

We were headed to MAD. Better known to saner folk as the Madrid Barajas Airport.

Are they all your kids? No.
How many passports? 8.
5 different nationalities.? Not mine. Me and wife have the same nationality.

The others?

Senor, can you keep them for 2/3 weeks here. Por Favor Senor. Please.
I shall collect them on my way back.

No sir, against the rules. You brought them, you keep them.

Welcome to Madrid, sir. Gracias Senor. Very much Gracias.

p.s I have been told by Ayesha, it is 4 not 5 nationalities. Difficult to keep track. MAD, I tell you. MAD!
Didn't see this until now. Great photo. What camera/lens did you use?

rayyan

Rayyan: +1, +1. Nothing like real Italian gelato. :salute: The workers at the Galleria dell'Accademia were on strike the one time I was in Florence!:cry: Cheers, Matt

http://mndriscoll.zenfolio.com
Rayran... great images.. greater lesson. Thank you, sir!
Rayyan...Deep, Deep History Lesson & Above The Atmosphere IQ & Shooting!
Your grandpa's right, Hamza. The stones know.
Matt, Jason, Steve, Lloyd: Much Appreciated, gentlemen. Much.

rayyan

Why are we here grandpa?, asked Hamza, sitting down besides me.

I want to tell you a story about this place Hamza, I said. Like in Rome.

No grandpa. said Hamza, let me tell you. I hear the stones too!

For the next 20 minutes Hamza told me a story.

Hamza got somethings mixed up..

But he was listening to the stones..speaking in whispers. As if sharing a secret.

Hamza would pause sometimes; as if listening carefully...

Hamza stood up. Looked around.

Do you know what happened here grandpa? Hamza asked.

The same as always, grandpa. The same as always. said Hamza as
he threw a small pebble back into the ruins

This is were it belongs, said Hamza. Grandpa, why don't they ever learn?

I don't know Hamza.

Maybe they think it would be different this time grandapa, said Hamza.

Hamza was learning, learning fast.