The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

rayyan

' I Caesar...' The crowd went wild. The noise was deafening. The scribes scribed hurriedly to keep pace. Caesar, mounted on his white stallion, surveyed the pomp, pageantry and glory of his people and empire. Roman legions, as far as the eye could see, writers, senators, scientists, engineers, architects, doctors, artists, philosophers and generals were all there.

Were they the best grandpa?, asked Hamza.

The banners were raised high. SPQR fluttering in the wind. Senatus Populusque Romanus, they proclaimed.

' Romans ' proclaimed Caesar, extending his arm. The sword glistened in the sun. Thousands of swords glistened in the sun. The shields shouted the power and might of Caesar and Rome.

' Romans' said Caesar, ' are not afraid of the future ' he said. ' Romans' said
Caesar proudly ' shape the future '.

'For the Senate and the People of Rome' proclaimed Caesar as he raised his
extended arm, sword raised, turned all round to face his army and people.

' This is the beginning' said Caesar, ' of a New Age '. Novus Ordo Seclorum.
His cape fluttered in the wind.' I am caesar' and ' I am Rome '.

But what happened grandpa? asked Hamza. Why did it happen grandpa?

The same as always Hamza, I said. They started to believe they were gods themselves.

Did the same thing happen in Athens grandpa? Yes I said.
Will you tell me their story, in Athens grandpa?

No son, I said. No more stories. I said.

In Athens, I said, I shall predict the future. By listenening to the stones. Exactly. Every single step of the future, I said. Hamza didn't believe me.

He was looking at the past glories of Rome...

Lloyd

' I Caesar...' The crowd went wild. The noise was deafening. The scribes scribed hurriedly to keep pace. Caesar, mounted on his white stallion, surveyed the pomp, pageantry and glory of his people and empire. Roman legions, as far as the eye could see, writers, senators, scientists, engineers, architects, doctors, artists, philosophers and generals were all there.

Were they the best grandpa?, asked Hamza.

The banners were raised high. SPQR fluttering in the wind. Senatus Populusque Romanus, they proclaimed.

' Romans ' proclaimed Caesar, extending his arm. The sword glistened in the sun. Thousands of swords glistened in the sun. The shields shouted the power and might of Caesar and Rome.

' Romans' said Caesar, ' are not afraid of the future ' he said. ' Romans' said
Caesar proudly ' shape the future '.

'For the Senate and the People of Rome' proclaimed Caesar as he raised his
extended arm, sword raised, turned all round to face his army and people.

' This is the beginning' said Caesar, ' of a New Age '. Novus Ordo Seclorum.
His cape fluttered in the wind.' I am caesar' and ' I am Rome '.

But what happened grandpa? asked Hamza. Why did it happen grandpa?

The same as always Hamza, I said. They started to believe they were gods themselves.

Did the same thing happen in Athens grandpa? Yes I said.
Will you tell me their story, in Athens grandpa?

No son, I said. No more stories. I said.

In Athens, I said, I shall predict the future. By listenening to the stones. Exactly. Every single step of the future, I said. Hamza didn't believe me.

He was looking at the past glories of Rome...
Heady stuff, my friend. Yes, the stones know. And 'those who do not learn from the past...' Heady stuff. I hope Hamza listens,,, to them, and to his grandpa.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks all for your appreciation on the dog photos. Not my strong suit, but i got help from the lovely models.

Rayyan, this is marvelous. The words, and the superb colors and details in the images. You really master this kind of (otherwise often perceived as "over") processing, suits your style perfectly.
Btw thanks for the insight on last page. I thought about 3 to 4 exposures... which aperture did you use?
Beautiful landscape there, too. :thumbup:

Matt: what a cool way to collect and carry the produce. Nice market "action" shot! :)

shtarka1

Heady stuff, my friend. Yes, the stones know. And 'those who do not learn from the past...' Heady stuff. I hope Hamza listens,,, to them, and to his grandpa.
Yes...Every Picture Does Tell A Story! Hopefully At Some Point The Book Ends On A Positive Note....

Rayyan....Fine Job!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Little more than a kilometer north of the glitzy shopping malls in downtown Bangkok, Siam this and Siam that and the slightly overcooked Central World, along the heavily congested, six lane Phayathai road, reality comes roaring out of the forest, at the speed of papaya salad. And the city stops for a couple of minutes, while the iron elephant continues its bumpy journey towards Chanchoengsao and other exotic destination. For 48 Baht, it will even take you the whole five hour journey to Aranya Pratet at the Cambodian border. That's certainly better value than a Louis Vuitton handbag at Gaysorn Plaza.

D80 with 70-300mm ED @ 210mm and f/7.1

rayyan

Lloyd: Thanks. I asked Ayesha to make me a tomato salad!!:D

Rayyan, this is marvelous. The words, and the superb colors and details in the images. You really master this kind of (otherwise often perceived as "over") processing, suits your style perfectly.
Btw thanks for the insight on last page. I thought about 3 to 4 exposures... which aperture did you use?
Beautiful landscape there, too. :thumbup:
Corian: Much appreciated. The aperture was 5.6; Three exposures.

Yes...Every Picture Does Tell A Story! Hopefully At Some Point The Book Ends On A Positive Note....

Rayyan....Fine Job!
Steve: Thank you. History is just that. Happy/sad; good/bad; right/wrong;
why/why not is for us. History does not care. It knows, it shows.. What we do with what we see is our business. History remains neutral. No feelings either way.

That's the way it was, is and will be. History is indifferent. It is made of ' stone '.

Regards.

For me at least recently, this might be one of the most powerful images I've taken.

I was driving back from having a beer with a friend, it's warm out, but raining. I see a guy flagging.... carrying a cardboard sign asking for money at a busy intersection. The light turns red and I stop. I see this.

Her dog doesn't care that they are out begging for money on the street. At the same time, she has given 2/3 of a wet towel to the dog to lay down on.

I roll my window down and call out, but she doesn't look up. A bus honks it's horn behind me as the light turned green a few seconds ago. I drive away ashamed, and feel so much poorer.

Lloyd

For me at least recently, this might be one of the most powerful images I've taken.

I was driving back from having a beer with a friend, it's warm out, but raining. I see a guy flagging.... carrying a cardboard sign asking for money at a busy intersection. The light turns red and I stop. I see this.

Her dog doesn't care that they are out begging for money on the street. At the same time, she has given 2/3 of a wet towel to the dog to lay down on.

I roll my window down and call out, but she doesn't look up. A bus honks it's horn behind me as the light turned green a few seconds ago. I drive away ashamed, and feel so much poorer.
Very touching Jason. Thank you for sharing. A good reminder, and I think you deserve credit just for having appreciated what you might have done. :salute:

rayyan

Little more than a kilometer north of the glitzy shopping malls in downtown Bangkok, Siam this and Siam that and the slightly overcooked Central World, along the heavily congested, six lane Phayathai road, reality comes roaring out of the forest, at the speed of papaya salad. And the city stops for a couple of minutes, while the iron elephant continues its bumpy journey towards Chanchoengsao and other exotic destination. For 48 Baht, it will even take you the whole five hour journey to Aranya Pratet at the Cambodian border. That's certainly better value than a Louis Vuitton handbag at Gaysorn Plaza.

Jorgen: beautiful capture, my friend. I love photos like this. life as it is lived.

Excellent.:thumbup:

Regards.

rayyan

Jason: Sad photo. Sincere photo. You tried to do what was needed. You did
your best.

Regards.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Jason, it is powerful indeed. A very poignant image, one that gets to you instantly, and stays with you (it's taken a few hours to leave a comment).
Unfortunately one can't always "change something" for the better, and some moments are simply overwhelming -that's part of being human. Though, as a photographer, relaying the facts by capturing a situation in a respectful way is definitely part of what you can do.

shtarka1

Fine Image Jorgen!

Life Happening...Extremely Difficult & Gut Wrenching....Some Sympathize, Some Empathize, Some Just Don't Give A Damn. Your Heart Is In The Right Place Jason. This Is Why We Do What We Do. Powerful Image!

Thanks guys. At first, I was upset that it was OOF. I was shooting through a rained on car window. But then it struck me that the OOF is what makes this photo. It's what we do as humans. We look past the disturbing things to something safer.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Ok, ok. I know it's not sharp. I was right at the close-focusing distance of my 200. A puff of breeze maybe? In any case, it's summer and very welcome here in the northern climes.