The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

rayyan

I had a date this evening. We had met yesterday. I loved what I saw.

Not too much cost either. Coffee, maybe dinner, and then to bed. Great.

Johann, the bar owner, came to know me. I could sit as long as I wanted.

I requested black coffee. And waited...

I was in Gamla Stan, Stockholm.

I was waiting for the sun to set. It would be a wonderful evening.

The show was for free.

shtarka1

Every other Saturday is filing day, at least for a couple of hours...

After reading about the sad news about John Stovall, i reckon the mood is definitely darker than usual.

(from the D700 folders)

Stark Images With Excellent Juxtapositions. The Sky Show's Light, While The Earth Show's Darkness. Good & Bad. Yin & Yang. Life & Death. Grey Matter In The Middle. Well Shot My Friend.

shtarka1

The show was for free.
One Word.....Magnificent!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steve and Rayyan, my friends, for your words.

Incidentally the first photo features the kind of local cultural "artifacts" that our friend John might have liked. Not only because the company sign is actually painted on the wall (not the kind of composite sign you can swiftly swap when there's a new tenant): it shows that these guys were the first to have telephone installed in the area -"Telephone N°1"-, from the times before the dial phones, where one still had to ask an operator to make the manual connection.

Rayyan, as Steve said, this is magnificent.
Many free shows in the world, that is depending on the capacity to open your eyes (and sometimes your heart). You surely do.

(is it with the ZF 35?)

Last edited:

Lloyd

The show was for free.
Looks like a perfect date!

rayyan

One Word.....Magnificent!
Steve: Thank you dear friend. Thank you very much.:eek:

Rayyan, as Steve said, this is magnificent.
Many free shows in the world, that is depending on the capacity to open your eyes (and sometimes your heart). You surely do.

(is it with the ZF 35?)

Corian: :eek::eek: Grateful Corian for your kind words. This is with the D80 and the nikon 85/1.4!! That's all I had besides the 50mm.

Looks like a perfect date!
Lloyd: Thank you kindly.

+1 from here... on the photo, and the sentiment. Happy Father's Day my friends.
+1: Indeed, to all my friends. A happy Father's Day.

m_driscoll

Corlan: Thanks for letting us know about John Stovall. I didn't really know him, but, i always enjoyed his posts and his attitude and style as seen in this forum.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

When I came to work yesterday, I was surprised to see a rope across my parking spaces. It turns out that my new office is on the route for the Fremont Solstice Parade put on by the Fremont Arts Council. I've lived here most of my life and I've never seen it! Last year, my daughter and some friends flew in from Maryland, just for the parade and street fair. That should have been a clue.

It was a unique experience. The parade starts with painted nude bicylists of both sexes (maybe 150 +/- and then 3 hrs of floats, dances, bands, anything goes. Here's a few of the censored photos (all with the Ds3 and 100-300mm VR). More uncensored ones can be found here: http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p227269964 I'm at work now, trying to do what i didn't do yesterday. It's 55 deg. F and pouring rain. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Matt, looks indeed like a "unique experience". Maybe a bit disconnected from the event flavor, the last BW here is super nice. Had a look at the whole gallery, #18 and 19 are also on top of my list.

Thanks Steve, Lloyd, Rayyan.

Rayyan, nice composition on the church (St Nicholas in Prague?) photo! One of the very best i've seen from it :)

Last edited:

Lloyd

When I came to work yesterday, I was surprised to see a rope across my parking spaces. It turns out that my new office is on the route for the Fremont Solstice Parade put on by the Fremont Arts Council. I've lived here most of my life and I've never seen it! Last year, my daughter and some friends flew in from Maryland, just for the parade and street fair. That should have been a clue.

It was a unique experience. The parade starts with painted nude bicylists of both sexes (maybe 150 +/- and then 3 hrs of floats, dances, bands, anything goes. Here's a few of the censored photos (all with the Ds3 and 100-300mm VR). More uncensored ones can be found here: http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p227269964 I'm at work now, trying to do what i didn't do yesterday. It's 55 deg. F and pouring rain. Cheers, Matt
Does look like a lot of fun. I enjoyed the entire gallery as well. A little rain yesterday might have changed the perspectives a bit, eh? ;)

rayyan

Matt: Great shots here and ' there ':eek: Once again you bring to us Seattle.
In a way that living there too might not show us. Of course, excellent photography adds to the pleasure.:D

Thank you.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Recently posted a couple of shots taken -on the side- from that session... requirements on this assignment was to impart a natural feel for a fair trade, environnemental minded line (summer ad campaign). So we shot outside, under a fair sun (had to rush considering the weather we had lately...)
Here's one from the commercial shoot. Final version being similar, with just a cleaner background & using a tripod. But it gives a fair idea, and represents a typical example where the D3X shines for products work -i think.

(with the ZF50/2M - the final file printed flawlessly up to 40")

AlexLF

I've returned from my Europe trip today and I see lots of good photos has been posted recently here! So I have to catch up and here's some photos from Barcelona (D3x, 14-24/2.8):

BTW, 95% of this trip's photographs taken with 14-24/2.8 lens. I almost found 24-74/2.8 useless for such a trip - Europe is mostly "compact" and superwide to wide lens really comes handy. On the other hand it's the most usable range for landscapes for me, so I used it for that too. I have to say I used my LF gear much less than before probably because I was with my wife and 1 y.o. daughter which was great except our daily plans changed all the time :) While I'm happy with the D3x I have a slow-emerging need of MF digital something :)

Anyways, the trip was great and I'll be posting more later this week.

m_driscoll

Very lovely friend. Looks like a good evening. I hope that was the case. :thumbup:
Jason: +1 (w/o any innuendo). Nice photo.

In Canon forums, there are discussions about back focus all the time. Finally, I have a lens that can do that on a Nikon as well :D
D80 with 80-200 AF-S and TC-20EIII @ 400mm and f/5.6
Jorgen: Well focused!

Just back from a week-long trip to the western Black Sea region and, as expected, upon returning, found marvelous shots here.
One thing puzzled me though; I can see Rayyan's posts, but no images whatsoever. All shots by other contributors appear normally, but Rayyan's posts only contain his texts - which are also fabulous - but no images.:confused:
Osman: Will we see some photos from your trip? Another exotic (by my stds. anyway) location.

Sunday was christening day.
Not everyone was focused on the main attraction, though.
Some had fun:
Didn't forget my friend Steve, though...
One last from Sunday, along the SE church wall/buttress:

( is it "buttress"? Matt will correct me :) )
Corlan: Looks like a nice low key christening. all were wonderful; but, the first one especially. Sort of a Norman rockwell moment. Beautiful flower on the buttress.

Rain rain, go away....
Jason: Rain. I like this one a lot.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

I know of a world famous photog. You know of him too. Way, way above my meagre talents. Iconic images . A true master photographer of our age. I admire him. Try to emulate his works.
I have one small advantage over him. My photos might not be as good. But
I can go where he cannot venture. At least not close enough. Even if he tried. I can relate to some people. He can't.
You see for him it shall always be a job. For me, it is a part of my daily life.
Prayer Time.
I have my advantage. Let me see yours. Not the photos. The advantage. Your images will take care of themselves.
I would sit looking at the clouds. Sometimes I wished they would visit me.
I knew what I would say to them....
Sometimes the clouds came to visit me. I forgot what I wanted to say.
I became a child. Played with them. Tried to catch them. My eyes were filled
with wonder.
But I was an adult. The wonder went away.
The show was for free.
Rayyan: Advantage Rayyan. Beautiful photos and narrative. The portrait suggests the desert with it's contrast. Beautiful, framing, colors and PP in these last two. The clock tower photo is very balanced w/o any negative perspective distortion.

Stark Images With Excellent Juxtapositions. The Sky Show's Light, While The Earth Show's Darkness. Good & Bad. Yin & Yang. Life & Death. Grey Matter In The Middle. Well Shot My Friend.
Corlan: +1. Steve said it very well.

Simple is what works! Happy Father's Day To Some Of The Coolest Cat's On The Entire Net! Lovely Photo C!
Corlan: +1. again, I'll defer to Steve.

Cheers, Matt