The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Lloyd

This part (and Matt's a couple of posts below) is a little bit of a surprise for me. As good as some results from the 70-200 VRII are, from what i can see here and there along with the few RAW files i could handle myself, in my eyes the 200/2 has still an edge AFA pure IQ is concerned. Of course for action (race shots you've mentionned) use it clearly doesn't have the same versatility and it's understable that it'd stay in the bag.

I'll have to study this more before taking a final decision. Guess i'm partial though, not using zooms since a long time and developping a calmer shooting practice, no sports, no fps sweat (usually shooting a single shot, up to 3 max except products in studio)... and quite sensitive to the bokeh magic of the 200. Hmm. On the fence, once more :eek:
Just to clarify, Corlan. While in Boston we did shoot the race (and primarily used the 400/2.8, 300/2.8 and 70-200 VRIIs on race day, as well as some smaller lenses, e.g. the 14-24), we also shot nearly two weeks of activities leading up to the race. This was done on behalf of the principal sponsor of the race. By far, the majority of our shooting was on days other than race day. Most of this was at dinners, programs, clinics, news conferences, and other events where primes could (and often were, the 85/1.4, 50/ 1.4 and the Zeiss 100 Makro, for example) easily used. It was simply a choice of utility. No doubt, in terms of absolute IQ, and particularly where bokeh is concerned, the 200/2 had/has the edge. But my experience, over the three plus years I owned one, was simply that I didn't use it enough to justify the expense, particularly when the zoom was so close in terms of quality. The new 70-200 VRII closed the gap even more, in my experience.

m_driscoll

Masterful Shooting & Gorgeous IQ & Bokeh!!!
Corlan: Great work! Both are simple and elegant.

To clarify, as Lloyd said, i think the bokeh with the 200mm f/2 is incredible (maybe the best of all of the Nikons). The 70-200 is getting close in IQ, and is more versatile (I believe that, and others have said that, and besides it makes me feel better, having sold the lens). Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

These are from today with the new 16-35mm F/4 VRII lens and the D3s. Second image is a crop of the same photo. Imported to LR2 as NEF, auto white balance set, and exported as 4-5mb jpeg. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4; 16mm; 1/80s @ f/4; ISO 320

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steve, Matt, Osman :)

Hey Matt, in haste you posted the second series (b&w) above in the wrong forum. Good thing though, a question before you move them to the analog section: HP5 or Neopan? Acros maybe?

m_driscoll

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from this new lens of yours Matt. Looking forward to more. In the first color shot above, at 16mm do I detect a little bit of field curvature or is that just the way the market is arranged?
Lloyd: Yeah there is a bit. The verticals in the first B&W were corrected in CS4. That's a criticism KR had of this lens at 16mm. 14-24mm was better. Cheers, Matt.

shtarka1

Matt,Congrats on The New Zoom! That Combo Is Kickin!!! Color & B&W's Are Stunning! Have Fun With It!

m_driscoll

I'm not posting the really raunchy, strange photos. Don't want to offend anybody (including myself). A few more from the other night's Burlesque. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 4000

2. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 8000

3. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/15s @ f/3.5; ISO 25600

4. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 24mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 12800