The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

m_driscoll

There's not much one can do really, other than cancel meetings, go to the gym and have a good meal now and then. Oh, and try out my new mountainbike, with a zillion gears, hydraulic disk brakes and all the latest high-tech stuff. I had a puncture on the first day though. No high-tech can prevent that aparently :(

Did I mention the new OM Zuiko 500mm reflex? Unused, and I mean unused. Doesn't fit on my Fujis unfortunately, but wow, what a lens.
Jorgen: Tubeless tires with Stan's sealant. You can run at lower tire pressures and self-seals minor punctures.

They don't call you the King of Portraits Fa Nuttin! The Eyes say it All Buddy! Nice B&W processing 2!:salute:
Lloyd: +1, +1. :salute:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Jorgen: Tubeless tires with Stan's sealant. You can run at lower tire pressures and self-seals minor punctures.

Lloyd: +1, +1. :salute:

Cheers, Matt
Thanks Matt. Much appreciated.

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree about the Stan's. I even run that in my road tires.

m_driscoll

Osman: Thank you. I haven't used this lens in a while. I remember the excellent photos that you posted. Although, I cheated and used a tripod here. I believe this lens doesn't get the respect it deserves because it's a "zoom" and not a "prime"! Seriously under-rated!

More Duck Dodge Race. NW corner of Lake Union. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 200mm; 1/2000s @ f/4; ISO 320.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice sailboat shots, Matt.

I admit that I'm one of those who wish there were a 4/400 prime version of that lens so that it would be somewhat smaller and lighter and pumping less dust into the barrell.

And besides I know I would use the zoom version at the long end all the time because I would use it for bird shooting.
I've been waiting for a 4/400mm for many years. Admittedly I'm tired of waiting and I do have considered the zoom version.

Does the 200-400 zoom tend to be better at one of the ends (like most zooms), or does it perform equally over the entire focal range ?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
click for larger size (3.5 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/800 sec. at f/8 ISO 400 • Capture NX

JohnH

I'm safe in Pattaya, but my favourite Italian restaurant here just closed since a curfew is apparently being activated here too. Oh well... I guess I could do without one more glass of grappa anyway :p
Somewhat off topic, but just to update...

It has been somewhat unnerving over the last few days. We are about two miles from where the main protest group was located. Stocked up with food, water, and stayed out of harm's way. Any temptation to take photos was firmly squashed. Maybe on the weekend. Office where I work was closed for safety. So working from home.

I just feel sad for this country.

Cheers,

John

otumay

Still sifting through my recent Pergamon shots. Kids this time. D700 and Nikkor 50/1.4 with some heavy pp.
Best,
Osman

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Lloyd and Osman: wonderful portraiture work, both of you !
And Jorgen: that goes for your beer and pizza 'portraits' too ;)

Lloyd

Osman: Thank you. I haven't used this lens in a while. I remember the excellent photos that you posted. Although, I cheated and used a tripod here. I believe this lens doesn't get the respect it deserves because it's a "zoom" and not a "prime"! Seriously under-rated!

More Duck Dodge Race. NW corner of Lake Union. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
Great image Matt, and I love the b/w here. I completely agree about the 200-400, seriously under-rated!

Lloyd

Lloyd and Osman: wonderful portraiture work, both of you !
And Jorgen: that goes for your beer and pizza 'portraits' too ;)
Thank you Steen, very much appreciated. And a huge +1 from me on your wonderful series, Osman. :thumbup:

Lloyd

I admit that I'm one of those who wish there were a 4/400 prime version of that lens so that it would be somewhat smaller and lighter and pumping less dust into the barrell.

And besides I know I would use the zoom version at the long end all the time because I would use it for bird shooting.
I've been waiting for a 4/400mm for many years. Admittedly I'm tired of waiting and I do have considered the zoom version.

Does the 200-400 zoom tend to be better at one of the ends (like most zooms), or does it perform equally over the entire focal range ?
As to your question at the end, I honestly haven't found a weak side to this lens. I've shot sports where I've been all over the zoom range, and I really can't tell which end I'm at from looking at the images alone. No obvious weakness that gives it away.

Here's what the notoriously picky Bjørn Rørslett had to say about it. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_03.html#AFS200-400VR

m_driscoll

Steen: I know, the 400/2.8 is a beast. It weighs almost 3 lbs. more then the 200-400/4. I think the 200-400mm/f performs well at both ends of it's range. I've also used it with the TC-E14 successfully, IMHO. The attached photo was taken a few weeks after I got the camera and lens (just learning). And, it should work with the new 200-400/4.

The sweet spot for birds, seems to me, to be in the 400-500mm range, and you need a moderately fast lens/camera to shoot a 1000s +. I had a 500mm f/4 VR, but, it was too unwieldy, handheld (weighs 2 lbs. less then the 400/2.8, though). OK on a gimbal head tripod.

I've even tried a couple of the __-500mm Sigma's, but, always returned them because of unsatisfactory IQ. Nikon glass spoils you.

D3; 200-400mm f/4 w/TC-E14; 550mm; 1/1000a @ f/8; ISO 3200

Cheers, Matt

leif e

Hey!
You kept taking pictures while I was out; a no-nikon-man! Lovely stuff; Osman, your kids are great! Steen, the Danish spring has come further and is almost as full of beauty as ours.:D Beautiful double portrait, Lloyd.

So, now that I´m allowed in here again (picked up my D200 #5 (?) today. Oh what folly! :D ). It was cheap and well kept. More interesting (to me at least); it came with an equally well kept Micro-Nikkor 3,5/55 of the very first series (there was a 5,5 cm series before that). Serial # suggests 1964, maybe even 63. So; the dog and me took the kit out into some light rain and warm spring just now - thinking I´d find some ready-to-bloom lily-of-the valley on the favourite spot. We did, got down on our knees (well, he didn´t really bother) and opened the lens up. Focus is not 100% where I wanted it, but close. I might keep this old lens! :D

ISO 320, 1/45, 3,5 - minimal sharpening and increased contrast.

leif e

Lloyd

Hey!
You kept taking pictures while I was out; a no-nikon-man! Lovely stuff; Osman, your kids are great! Steen, the Danish spring has come further and is almost as full of beauty as ours.:D Beautiful double portrait, Lloyd.

So, now that I´m allowed in here again (picked up my D200 #5 (?) today. Oh what folly! :D ). It was cheap and well kept. More interesting (to me at least); it came with an equally well kept Micro-Nikkor 3,5/55 of the very first series (there was a 5,5 cm series before that). Serial # suggests 1964, maybe even 63. So; the dog and me took the kit out into some light rain and warm spring just now - thinking I´d find some ready-to-bloom lily-of-the valley on the favourite spot. We did, got down on our knees (well, he didn´t really bother) and opened the lens up. Focus is not 100% where I wanted it, but close. I might keep this old lens! :D

ISO 320, 1/45, 3,5 - minimal sharpening and increased contrast.

leif e
Beautiful shot, Leif. Great color. Congrats on the new tool. Hope to see much more.

m_driscoll

Still sifting through my recent Pergamon shots. Kids this time. D700 and Nikkor 50/1.4 with some heavy pp.
Best,
Osman

Osman: These are great! :salute: You really captured their joy at being kids. Nice composition and PP. I especially like these two. The softness suits the second image, and the first expresses the kind of friendship/family that kids this age still have. Hard not to smile when you see these. Good work (I scare little kids; so, I have to stay at a distance!). Cheers, Matt