The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Lloyd, as usual a great homage to your beautiful better half :thumbup:

Stunning flower picture, Steve. That Leica Summilux R 80 is really a dreamy dream optic.

Dramatic sailboat moments, Matt, and a bit scary 'Traffic jam on the lake' :eek:

Chris, those hawk shots are fabulous, and with an FX + 200mm combo, you must have been very close to this shy bird. Well sneaked !

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Let's face it: you guys are posting too fast. Hard to catch up! :eek:

Jorgen: looking at your photos i decided to order a pizza and three beers, but they showed up with a bearded guy wearing a leather jacket. Maybe i dialed the number wrong. :mad:
The 5 Minutes shot is a busy, busy one. Hope the guy in car #19 is not a protestor of sort.

Panda: the b&w baby portrait is perfect. What a look!

Bob: ESPN material as usual.
"just your standard D3 400 2.8 VR combo" ? :shocked:

Leif: nice to see you hangin around. Beautiful, subtle shot. Shades of green are splendid.

Steen: guess that what they call a field shot :p
And a nice one.
Funny enough, and i'm aware it happened before, but again i took a similar shot two days ago. I'll post it later on...

Matt: looks like you had a lot of fun, and experimentation (of all kinds?), and work, at the burlesque venue. Interesting stuff. Can't help wondering what you can't post. :p
The sail shots are terrific, the "collision ones" toping the second series are action packed, and the last one is supremely elegant. The WN 8573 boat should love it. A magazine, too.
Love the composition on the b&w too -though if you allow me this one might deserve a more impactful processing. Just my perception :)
edit: Looking more closely i missed the last series... the illusion on the plane aiming directly at the sails is simply stunning.

Lloyd, as always you're inspired when it comes to Rachel portraits. All the family, in fact (such as Mimi's shots above, the first and last one are definitely keepers -for different reasons). It's been said over and over, but they're super nice.

Osman: nice smiles, cool treatment. Not so heart breaking after all :)
I particularly like the last one of the first series, with the "Training" and "Lovers" t-shirts. Very very nice in many aspects.

Steve: you do have a thang for -and a way with- exotic glasses. Nice job, again.

Chris: welcome aboard :) Great eagle documentation, and as Steen pointed out, not an easy task with a 12MP FX and a 70-200mm! :bugeyes:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
A little OT rant (it does involve an image shot with a Nikon:)): I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. I was informed today that one of my images now occupies a two-page spread in a national magazine. Pretty cool, on one hand (Mimi is in the image, btw, but only I know which person is her)... I picked up a copy of the magazine, and sure enough, there it is. However, I never granted permission for it's use, have not been compensated, and wouldn't have even known about it if a friend hadn't called it to my attention. What's more, I wasn't even given photo credit for the shot!:(

I've now done some checking and found out that the Race Director for a triathlon I shot gave them the image file, and it's used in a story promoting his race. I'm pretty sure that if I demand payment from the magazine, they'll just pass the cost through to the Race Director, saying in submitting the image, he had assured them he had the necessary rights for this use (it's right in their art submission policy). I know the guy, and he puts on a great race, but he and his team have lost money so far, and I'd like to see the race continue, and hopefully become successful, so I don't want him taking the hit.

Sooooo, I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I think I'd at least like to have photo credit. It would be nice to have the tear sheet in my portfolio. Any ideas?
Beside the strict legal viewpoint, why not try and seize the "opportunity" to build/strenghten relationships with all parties involved?

Let see this with a positive eye: first, you do have a legitimate claim, and in a way or another they owe you. Of course it depends what you immediate goal is but if it's not just "get paid", then you could get both parties to acknowledge that -at very least- they've treated the matter lightly and find ways of compensation. Out of my head, and not knowing the whole details, i'm thinking better credentials and/or a more official status etc. with the race organizers, and on the publisher's side maybe a quote and a credit in their next issue and possibly a keen eye on some other photo material you would send them in the future. Well, you get the idea.

Im my experience it works often well. A quick story just to stick with photography and publishing. Some 15 years ago i happened to contribute occasionally with pictures and sometimes a small story for a US magazine (another specialty than racing). It was before the internet age, so it was selling worlwide, on a larger basis that it would now. I was then living in the USA, when some day a friend who was subscribing to several magazines tells me that he read the same story in the original US paper and a european one. After checking, apparently the latter had some kind of agreement with the former to use excerpts of sorts... whatever.

To cut a long chase short, i called then visited them, and enventually proposed my services as a direct source with more thorough, first-hand material. A year after i was one of their main contributors, with stories as long as 7-page, full spread photos and a couple of covers. In fact they even asked me for exclusive rights and i stopped my small and somehow sporadic contributions to the US magazines (who had obviously a lot of available sources for US based events), all for the better. Sure enough, it was in the 90's, times have changed... Anyway my point is: sometimes it works :)
(that said i could honestly think of a couple dozen other times, not especially photography related, where i got busted with work, ideas, etc. But after all, then i was not worse off than i was before the fact. Simply got a bit more cautious - though probably still not enough, on occasions. Hey, we live to learn...)

In one word, there might be some good things for you in the outcome, provided that you talk your way out using a sly mix of reasonnable claims and agreeable disposition. Playing the good guy part, you could make the best of the situation for the future. Worth a try maybe?

Just my take :)

Last edited:

Lloyd

Matt and Corlan: Thanks for your input. I'm having a chat with the race director today, and plan to take a positive approach. I'll let you know how it goes.

shtarka1

Matt and Corlan: Thanks for your input. I'm having a chat with the race director today, and plan to take a positive approach. I'll let you know how it goes.
Lloyd, great advice from my 2 compadres. I also had a similar experience where i found 12 of my images in one of the larger distributed bodybuilding publications without my knowledge or compensation. I simply wrote a kind e-mail to the editor praising the magazine &stating that i knew it was an oversight(B.S.!) & actually saw a descent check within 2 weeks with an apology. Im hoping this gets resolved in the proper manner for you & have a feeling it will! Good Luck!

Lloyd

Lloyd, great advice from my 2 compadres. I also had a similar experience where i found 12 of my images in one of the larger distributed bodybuilding publications without my knowledge or compensation. I simply wrote a kind e-mail to the editor praising the magazine &stating that i knew it was an oversight(B.S.!) & actually saw a descent check within 2 weeks with an apology. Im hoping this gets resolved in the proper manner for you & have a feeling it will! Good Luck!
Thanks Steve, glad your situation worked out so well. I'm hoping for a positive outcome also. I've now spoken with the race director, and we're totally cool. Looks like I'm going to have some exclusive access to all of his events, and free entries for me and Mimi, if we want them. I've known him for a long time, and really didn't want to have this cause him any trouble.

Lloyd

Here's the image I mentioned in my earlier posts.

What's funny to me is that of the several shots I took there, this is actually my least favorite.

(BTW, Mimi's in the shot, but she made me swear not me to tell which of the "harbor seals" is her.:rolleyes:. For the record, I will say that she won her age group, was fourth non-pro woman overall, and had the second fastest bike split of the day, including the pro women!:cool:)
D300, 12-24/f4
View attachment 31006

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Dramatic sailboat moments, Matt, and a bit scary 'Traffic jam on the lake' :eek:

Steen: Thank you. BTW: That's the 200-400mm f/4 at 400mm f/4 and cropped to about 25%,

... Matt: looks like you had a lot of fun, and experimentation (of all kinds?), and work, at the burlesque venue. Interesting stuff. Can't help wondering what you can't post. :p
The sail shots are terrific, the "collision ones" toping the second series are action packed, and the last one is supremely elegant. The WN 8573 boat should love it. A magazine, too.
Love the composition on the b&w too -though if you allow me this one might deserve a more impactful processing. Just my perception :)
edit: Looking more closely i missed the last series... the illusion on the plane aiming directly at the sails is simply stunning....
Corlan: Thank you. The Burlesque photo experience was, well, an experience (and it turns out an experiment/training session). I know which settings to tweek on the camera, which lens to use, and how freaking high the ISO can go and still get a photo. Great fun.

I'll try strengthening the contrast in the B&W. My natural tendency is to try to bring out detail everywhere (not necessarily good). Have to see every pixel!

Great series Matt. This one... "holy traffic jam, Batman"... Wow. :eek:
Lloyd: Thanks. There must be a protocol to keep a lane open for the seaplanes. Kenmore Air flies in and out of here all of the time . One just passed in front of my window headed West.

Great Grabs Matt...Wow!
Steve: Thanks. I was panning, as it flew in. That lens/camera really locks focus fast (wasn't on C).

Here's the image I mentioned in my earlier posts.
What's funny to me is that of the several shots I took there, this is actually my least favorite.
D300, 12-24/f4 (Mimi's in the shot, but she made me swear not me to tell which of the "harbor seals" is her.:rolleyes:. For the record, I will say that she won her age group, was fourth non-pro woman overall, and had the second fastest bike split of the day, including the pro women!:cool:)
View attachment 31006
Lloyd: Great image! It sounds like it worked out as OK as it could. Mimi's an "iron woman"!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) Steen: guess that what they call a field shot :p
And a nice one.
Funny enough, and i'm aware it happened before, but again i took a similar shot two days ago. I'll post it later on... (...)
Hey Corlan, thanks, and lets keep in sync ... :D

I know I'm late to say this, but some highly 'envious' congratulations with your high-end 24 Mp machinery !

I assume you used a generous amount of those many pixels to get that delicate and wonderfully smooth rendering in your Field Shot of the Oil Seed Rape ?
In any case, Man & Machine at its best synergy :thumbup:
Oh, by the way out of curiosity: what optic ?

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd, Steve, Matt, Steen :)

Matt: i couldn't say. Renoir and Cezanne among other impressionnists entertained this kind of theme at some point. Love their work. Though i honestly couldn't see any similarity in result, technique nor quality. Nowadays it might sound "modern" to see them as old stuff, but they truly were the great masters of the game, unequaled to this day -and they'll probably stay as such.

Steen: you're way too kind. Yes, i love the camera and it definitely open new possibilities, IMO bordering (not quite into) MFDB territory. Not for everything of course, but with an appreciable extra level of usability. And i don't miss the high ISO today (but that's me). Lens? It's the 105 VR -which i use a lot currently. A perfect match.

As mentionned previously, i was thinking about posting a more thorough (but not too formal) review of the body here. They'll become more affordable and it might be of some interest for members considering their next move. Just don't want to steal the gig with my own photos. Probably the best solution would be to post something that will be completed by other owners like Wayne, Roger & al. I'm aware there's quite a few images posted here and there with the D3X, but it was not enough at least for me to make my mind. What's interesting with that body is that unlike many other digital equipment one might seriously find it sufficent for many professional tasks, whatever the next market evolution is. If you don't print very large... Hmm. Babbling again :eek:

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steve, glad your situation worked out so well. I'm hoping for a positive outcome also. I've now spoken with the race director, and we're totally cool. Looks like I'm going to have some exclusive access to all of his events, and free entries for me and Mimi, if we want them. I've known him for a long time, and really didn't want to have this cause him any trouble.
Good news -and well deserved :thumbup:
Guess the publisher still owe you a credit though... and maybe a kind look at your work? :angel:

The photo is great! And perfect for the purpose of illustrating the specifities of the venue. Oh btw, is Mimi on the right hand side? :confused: :eek: