The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

m_driscoll

I've been busy with my Europe trip preparations recently but this is all positive. I got myself Nikon 14-24/2.8 but haven't really tried it yet. Hopefully tomorrow will do some shooting. For now some pics from recent days (D3x, DC 135/2):
Alex: Beautiful! The color value in these photographs is remarkably consistent. They're not over-saturated or too washed away. Detail is visible, colors are distinct, there's a spatiality that's very real. Nice! :thumbup::salute: You'll like that lens. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been busy with my Europe trip preparations recently but this is all positive. I got myself Nikon 14-24/2.8 but haven't really tried it yet. Hopefully tomorrow will do some shooting. For now some pics from recent days (D3x, DC 135/2):
Very nice cityscapes, Alex.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd, Jorgen :)

Matt, the second shot is way cool. Beside the decisive moment (will this guy drop his expensive hat?), love how the elegant typography (much more snappy than on the other boat) on the front boat matches the skipper stylish clothing. Interesting also to see how the grey sail makes for a perfect contrast background for the main character in the frame.

Small details... great catch. :thumbs:

Lloyd

Lloyd: Wonderful. The lightning control is super. Uncle, my best wishes to the
niece for June. May they have a happy long life together.

Lovely shots Lloyd.
Thank you my friend. Very much appreciated. (BTW, she's actually my much loved daughter-in-law.) I've recently posted several pictures of nieces lately, and I suspect that may have caused some confusion.)

rayyan

Alex: I have always what the 135 could do in capable hands. Now I know.
Excellent.

I know, I keep shooting this skyline. Eventually, I'll get it right. Cheers, Matt.

D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 200mm; 1/1600s @ f/4; ISO 400

Matt: Boats and the skyline are fine. I think the water is tilted a tad;)
Beautiful shot Matt.

The boat elevator, in b&w:

Talking about windmills, for once a couple of commercial shots (corporate documentation). These contraptions are not always easy to make look good -photos below are handhled, the final versions are on a tripod etc., but i kinda like these two:

One last from the "wind" series:

Four Poplars on a ridge:

Corian: The poplars capture is stunning. I prefer the colr for the above two.
but they seem to have a haunting beauty to them in bw.

Regards.

Matt: can't answer for Lars and Steen, esp since i never use DL in camera. That said out of NX2 in my experience you lose all camera adjustments including DL. Typically in LR/ACR, C1, Aperture etc. you start over with the RAW data. only processed tiffs and jpegs will embed these adjustments. But then of course, you can't go back.

One last note on DL: except for extreme situations (e.g. Lars shot last page), DL can help you extract a lot of apprent "details" (following your recent comment) in some areas, but otoh you more than often loose contrast and pop. Plus, if your photo is correctly exposed in the first place (as a whole or the main subject), it can easily become counter productive if you don't handle the function with care. In one word, for general purpose photography, as you can tell i'm no huge fan ;)

m_driscoll

Here's the group shot of my students (including yours truly). The middle school principal once again made the mistake of letting us take our own picture (bwahahahahahaha!), and this is the result.

Nikon D700 + Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8@ 1/200s, f/4, manual, two 150W no-name studio lights shot through white umbrellas, no-name radio trigger for flashes, camera on a timer.

Carlos: Nice setup. Clever. Thanks for sharing.

Or... you'll get us first :ROTFL:
Hm, ok. You're getting close... maybe a tad to the left? :)
Corlan: I can do that. To the left. OK!

Still Fantastic! ...
Steve: Thank you! I'll stop after i do one more to the left for Corlan.

Matt, the last sailboat photo is just brilliant.
Jorgen: Thanks! :D

...Matt, the second shot is way cool. Beside the decisive moment (will this guy drop his expensive hat?), love how the elegant typography (much more snappy than on the other boat) on the front boat matches the skipper stylish clothing. Interesting also to see how the grey sail makes for a perfect contrast background for the main character in the frame. Small details... great catch. :thumbs:
Corlan: Thanks. They're out there again tonight. It's a bit overcast; so, I'll wait to go shoot them again. It'll be interesting to see if that's his standard dress for the Duck Dodge.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

The boat elevator, in b&w:

Talking about windmills, for once a couple of commercial shots (corporate documentation). These contraptions are not always easy to make look good -photos below are handhled, the final versions are on a tripod etc., but i kinda like these two:
Corlan: Boat elevator? Now, I can see it. Of course, it lifts them up to a higher canal system. Bit more high-tech then the 18th century versions. Great windmill photos. Have you also shot them moving (blurred)? Lots of wind generation "farms" in Eastern Washington and Oregon. Cheers, Matt.

etrigan63

Thanks Matt, I kinda whipped that idea up on-the-fly. I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'm probably going to give each child an 8x10 print with their Certificates of Completion.

jbcrane

O.K., I'll play. Here's one from Port au Prince, Haiti this past March. D3S, 70-200VR I@ 105mm; ISO800, 1/500s@ 2.8

otumay

John, keeping what happened in Haiti recently in mind, your photo has a very strong effect, both visually and mentally. Thank you for sharing.
Best,
Osman

m_driscoll

John, keeping what happened in Haiti recently in mind, your photo has a very strong effect, both visually and mentally. Thank you for sharing.
Best,
Osman
John: +1, what he said. :thumbup: BTW: There's some beautiful work on your website! I'll go back when it's not so late. I started looking at the fly fishing championship first. Nice photos. Cheers, Matt