The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

shtarka1

Thank you Corlan. That means a lot to me. This particular subject matter is near and dear to my heart; I was on a team of 11 that headed down to PaP mid-March to work with just a few of the half-million orphans in Haiti resulting from the quake. I guess for some preserving memories and telling stories through images means one thing. For me, it means something more. There will be more trips, more kids and more photos, but I'll never forget that first experience. I've been selective as to who I open the images up to. I've grown so weary of the bickering and one-upmanship of other corners of the web and seeking a venue that openly sharing images we make is as natural as reading a poem or singing a song one's written to be heard. Glad I was fortunate enough to stumble across this group. You guys are talented and kind - not an easy combination to find.

Kind regards, John B. Crane
Your Work Is Wonderfully Inspiring & Your Heart Is Forever Giving! Keep Up The Great Fight & Thank You!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Today's post. Nikon D700 mounted on an Astro-Physics 130 mm EDFS f6.0 refracting telescope (effective focal length of 780 mm).

jlancasterd

Next time i cross the channel with the girls i might be tempted to pay the area a visit on our way to Scotland. :)
You should do that, and take a ride in this:

View attachment 31409

The FR is probably the only railway in the world still building new Pullman Cars. This one is just a year old and runs on the Welsh Highland Railway, a Ffestiniog Railway subsidiary, which runs right through the mountains of North Wales, in the background below.

View attachment 31410

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Thank you Corlan. That means a lot to me. This particular subject matter is near and dear to my heart; I was on a team of 11 that headed down to PaP mid-March to work with just a few of the half-million orphans in Haiti resulting from the quake. I guess for some preserving memories and telling stories through images means one thing. For me, it means something more. There will be more trips, more kids and more photos, but I'll never forget that first experience. I've been selective as to who I open the images up to. I've grown so weary of the bickering and one-upmanship of other corners of the web and seeking a venue that openly sharing images we make is as natural as reading a poem or singing a song one's written to be heard. Glad I was fortunate enough to stumble across this group. You guys are talented and kind - not an easy combination to find.
Kind regards, John B. Crane
John: This is a stunning image! But, not as impressive as your commitment to help these people with more then words and money. :salute:
Cheers, Matt
http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

...Matt: You make me want to go sailing! The first one is simple superb. The light, the backdrop the foreground. Beautiful.:thumbup: Regards.
rayyan: Thank you my friend! :D

...Matt: with the sailing season in Seattle you're definitely sitting on a treasure for the long telephoto lens. These two are very nice, you can feel the "hour" in the first one. Did you consider cropping a 3by4 or even a 4by5 out of the second one, leaving the right hand part out? Just a thought -as usual. :)
Corlan: Thanks. I'll take a look at the crop. My natural, albeit predictable, tendency is to leave space in the direction of movement. Always better, though, to vary your route.

Great Pose Caught Matt!
Steve: Thanks. :D Chinos, wraparounds, a school tie, and a Buchan 37 (a classic NW boat). She has a bit of that Boston clipper masthead look, updated version; but, the no nonsense expression's there.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

It's Mother's Day here... so, one from today:
(not many mothers around on this thread, but who knows ;))

D3X - ZF50/2M - ACR+PS4 - shot 4*5, then cropped to square
Corlan: Beautiful rose! The subtle softness, color, dark background, and off-center, but balanced composition, is great. But, Mother's day was May 9th! Fête des Mères started by Napoleon (before it was celebrated in America). Very interesting. Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Beautiful portrait. She has a wonderful smile... and it shows in her eyes.
Woody: +1 on the portrait and the telescope shot is very impressive!

Very impressive. Worth a trip there to see and ride. :thumbup:
John: +1, also. The trains look like both narrow gauge and standard. Was the narrow gauge just used for mining and work trains? BTW: I've always loved trains. My Mother's father was a conductor on the Northern Pacific and my father's uncle was a VP for the same railroad. Cheers, Matt.

fultonpics

a sports photographers view of a day to remember some of those who count to us....Memorial Day 2010 from Golden Gate National Cemetery. I stopped by on the way to the game to visit my fathers grave and felt the urge to break out the 400.

m_driscoll

A few from today. Drove over to the waterfront at the Passenger ferry Terminal in West Seattle. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 200mm; 1/500s @ f/11; IS0 250

2. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 170mm; 1/200s @ f/5.6; IS0 250

3. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 125mm; 1/1000s @ f/5; IS0 250

4. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 300mm; 1/500s @ f/5.6; IS0 250

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for your kind words, all of you.

Beautiful portrait, Woody.

This morning, I was visiting a truck factory to take a couple of group portraits from the production. When I arrived, I was offered the grand tour and no limits. Two hours later, I came out, soaking wet from sweat, with a couple of hundred photos. Here are two, one production line-up, and one shot taken lying on the floor under a truck during assembly. Great fun!

Unfortunately, I only brought the D80 with Tamron 17-50 and no tripod. The Fuji would have loved that place, with all its weird lighting and tough contrasts.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/4.5

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/2.8

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Bob: great set, very emotional. The last one in particular is fantastic.
On the technical side, separation and colors with the 400 are incredible.

Matt: Thanks :).
Mother's Day is indeed celebrated at different dates over the world. By the way historically it's not that far off Memorial Day since originally here it was intended to honor mothers who had lost their sons and husbands at war. Numbers were in the millions back then (for a much smaller population) so pretty much all families were concerned. Hopefully history will stop repeating itself and mankind will wise up, in time.

Nice set above. Like the light in the first one and the horizontal, clean composition, the movement in the second, contrast in the third. The seagulls are just cool :)

Jorgen: interesting opportunity. Truck Track is perfect in every way, and on this one i'm impressed -again- with the level of IQ (soft reflections, color transitions, shadows details, controlled highlights...) that you squeeze out of this combo, in that environnement and described conditions. I still have a lot to learn. Always a stimulating thought. :)

Quite an unusual angle on the assembly shot. Don't know why, but i can't help smiling figuring you with the equipment being carried around the facility
by the conveyor belt, on your back, shooting. Modern Times revisited :angel: Humanity crusading in the pursuit of happiness, they said.