The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

otumay

Rayyan, this is like sitting in a comfy chair and watching an art show! Especially the close-up of your Ayesha on the cellphone is mind blowing.

m_driscoll

Matt, you can certainly make them Nikons sing...
Osman: Thanks.:D

...This morning, I was visiting a truck factory to take a couple of group portraits from the production. When I arrived, I was offered the grand tour and no limits. Two hours later, I came out, soaking wet from sweat, with a couple of hundred photos. Here are two, one production line-up, and one shot taken lying on the floor under a truck during assembly. Great fun!
Unfortunately, I only brought the D80 with Tamron 17-50 and no tripod. The Fuji would have loved that place, with all its weird lighting and tough contrasts.
D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/2.8
Jorgen: You could of had an old Coolpix and you'd still come out with terrific photos! Great opportunity you had; and, an excellent series of photos.:thumbs:

Woody,Fulton,Leif,Jl,Matt,Jorgen....Excellent!!!
Steve: Thank you! :D

...Matt: Thanks :).
Mother's Day is indeed celebrated at different dates over the world. By the way historically it's not that far off Memorial Day since originally here it was intended to honor mothers who had lost their sons and husbands at war. Numbers were in the millions back then (for a much smaller population) so pretty much all families were concerned. Hopefully history will stop repeating itself and mankind will wise up, in time.

Nice set above. Like the light in the first one and the horizontal, clean composition, the movement in the second, contrast in the third. The seagulls are just cool :)=
Corlan: Well said. Couldn't agree more! Thanks for your considered comments on my photos.

As for the highlights in the other one; I wish I could say that I had control, but I don't. Fortunately, the D80 sensor seems to clip all colours at around the same level, avoiding colour casts in the border areas. It's a good low-ISO sensor. But I simply don't see a replacement for the Fuji cameras that is within my economical means. The difference when recovering highlights on a Fuji file and a Nikon file is so enormous you won't believe it unless you see it. I'm considering a D700, of course. Isn't it Christmas soon?

Another one:

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 24mm and f/3.5

Jorgen: +1 for what I said earlier! Nikon Rumors says two new Nikon DSLR's in July. A D700 replacement would shift D700 prices a bit. Maybe Christmas in July?

...Matt: Making Seattle unresistable!!...
Regards.
Rayyan: Thank you! :D

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

rayyan

+1... the perfect description.
Indeed... yes, indeed.
Lloyd: Grateful to you, Lloyd.

Rayyan, about the Scandinavian series (had to leave when writing the previous post): my favorites are the same two as quoted by Lloyd above, to which i'll add the lock&dranpipe, the lamp posts (very "parisian"), and the oranje street, where the single character wearing a hat brings a nice touch. Same with the heartful cappucino. Well, all of them are real nice.
Corian:You are a gentleman sir!:salute:

Many good photos from Scandinavia, Ryyan. I particularly like these two. The first one looks like Karl-Johan in Oslo... or Stortingsgaten. At least the weather is typical Oslo, if my memory serves me right :D Must be late April or early May.

Love the portrait. Perfect framing, angle and light.
Jorgen: Hope you are well. I think it is Stortingsgaten. Early May, a year ago.

Thank you for your gracious comments.

m_driscoll

Rayyan: I'm behind on this thread, and I'm at work (behind here too) looking at your beautiful Scandinavian photos on a 15" MacBook Pro. Consider me echoing and unabashedly agreeing with everybody's positive comments! Your photos always capture a moment that's part of a story. Well done! Cheers, Matt

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Happy Memorial Day (and thanks to all who serve on our behalf)!

It feels a bit rude to just pop in here and post a few photos without commenting on the work that comes before me. Alas, too much to do and I'm way behind.

Here are a few from this morning's parade.

Best,
Tim

shtarka1

It feels a bit rude to just pop in here and post a few photos without commenting on the work that comes before me. Alas, too much to do and I'm way behind.

Best,
Tim
Tim, Always Nice To See You & Appropriate Images Shot Perfectly! Thanks To All The Vets...Amen!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Best,
Tim
Three perfect moments, Tim.

(and the technical quality is flawless, as usual)

Love the three of them, the subtle beauty of the first one, then the refreshing, genuine smile. Though there's something gripping (can't find the exact word) about the last one that draws my eye, and my mind, back at it...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Such a gracious group here. Thanks, all of you. And for the record, when the parade started and the vets began to march, the crowd applauded. It was impossible to avoid tearing up. A very emotional moment for all involved. Both the proud and happy who marched and the spectators on the sidewalks shared a sense of pride and relief for the ones who were present and able, and a sense of loss for those who weren't. It must certainly be the same regardless of country.

Peace,
Tim

m_driscoll

Such a gracious group here. Thanks, all of you. And for the record, when the parade started and the vets began to march, the crowd applauded. It was impossible to avoid tearing up. A very emotional moment for all involved. Both the proud and happy who marched and the spectators on the sidewalks shared a sense of pride and relief for the ones who were present and able, and a sense of loss for those who weren't. It must certainly be the same regardless of country.

Peace,
Tim
Tim: +1, +1 for this post. Thanks for sharing it. Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Across the street from the waterfront in my earlier post, there's a very steep bluff with houses, and apartments at the base. Some of them are pretty funky, reminiscent of when this was a "bohemian" beach area. The hill behind one has a pagoda-like gazebo, sculpture, flamingos, and a goat 9very happy looking goat)! Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 230mm; 1/30s @ f/5.3; ISO 320

2. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 300mm; 1/100s @ f/5.6; ISO 250

3. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 210mm; 1/160s @ f/5.3; ISO 250

Lloyd

Across the street from the waterfront in my earlier post, there's a very steep bluff with houses, and apartments at the base. Some of them are pretty funky, reminiscent of when this was a "bohemian" beach area. The hill behind one has a pagoda-like gazebo, sculpture, flamingos, and a goat 9very happy looking goat)! Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
Kewl shots, Matt. I didn't realize flamingos gathered the Pacific Northwest this time of year. :D BTW, that goat does look happy. Wonder what he knows that we don't?:cool:

m_driscoll

Kewl shots, Matt. I didn't realize flamingos gathered the Pacific Northwest this time of year. :D BTW, that goat does look happy. Wonder what he knows that we don't?:cool:
Lloyd: Don't usually see them this time of year. These flamingos weren't very active? ;) A household's allowed to keep one goat within the city limits. Probably happy because there are no other goats to share with. :LOL:

Cheers, Matt.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
49 Fantastic Photographers and me

Again so many new wonderful captures, e.g.:

Jorgens acrobatic one lens Truck Assembly series, great angles
Corlans excellent B&W landscapes, his wise and kind dog and the beautiful Mother's Day flower
Jasons excellent wedding shots and flower shots
Leifs poetic rendition of the eternal moment when E loved J ...
Steves touching melancholy Ol' Lady
Matts action-packed Lake Union Duck Dodge series, the West Seattle ferry Terminal, flamingos and all
Johns Cranes powerful Haiti images
John Lancasters nice preserved locomotives
Woodys beautiful blog post portraits
Fultons as well as Tims moving Memorial Day series
Rayyans stunning one lens series from Scandinavia; makes me want to go to Scandinavia, hey I am in Scandinavia :rolleyes:
my sincere kudos :thumbup: to all of you and also to the rest of the 49 fantastic photographers on this amazing board ...

Two from Denmark, Scandinavia, I wish I could put the sound of the Skylark into the images :)

click for larger size (3.2 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/1000 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

click for larger size (3 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/640 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Beautiful, Steen, and very Danish :thumbs:

---

Whoever said that chimping was bad?

D80 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8