The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, Rayyan: you guys are apparently doing a lot of chimping. Is it spring? :rolleyes:

(Aircon is indeed very,er, cool, btw. He probably needs that after close-up D-maxing)

Woody: at least you use your telescope for more noble tasks, loke flowers. Or are you? :D

Steen, very cool landscapes you have here. Delicate light, shades of green, some yellow, a bit of sea. Fav is probably the last one, with the boat on the horizon. A lot of serenity in all of these.

Matt: funky neighborhood. The goat is excellent -and looks quite happy. Maybe simply aware of the luck of living in such a quiet, peaceful environment.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
This one of the telescope with apologies for the cluttered background.
More seriously, nice setup, and the potential looks promising.
I've been entertaining the idea though never really investigated thoroughly. Are the Nikon adapters easy to find and set up? Are there telescope brands more suited for the task?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Interesting setup, Woody. Now that you have shown us how, could you please elaborate on why :D
I do have a Leica Televid 77 birding telescope myself, but so far I haven't tried to mount my camera on it.
I mean I realize you get an unusual bunch of reach, but don't you have to struggle with an extremely modest maximum aperture with such a combination ?
And isn't it difficult to focus the telescope with accuracy ?

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
49 Fantastic Photographers and me

Thank you Lloyd and Corlan !

Here's a backlit :)

click for larger size (3.2 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/640 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Interesting setup, Woody. Now that you have shown us how, could you please elaborate on why :D
I do have a Leica Televid 77 birding telescope myself, but so far I haven't tried to mount my camera on it.
I mean I realize you get an unusual bunch of reach, but don't you have to struggle with an extremely modest maximum aperture with such a combination ?
And isn't it difficult to focus the telescope with accuracy ?
The telescope's aperure is f6.0. It has a very finely geared focuser - focus has been very easy on the ground glass.

leif e

Why is it I always want to go to Denmark?:D Steen; just lovely.

Spring and early summer means elbows and knees on my turf.
D200, Micro-Nikkor 3,5/55 ISO 200, minor crop

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The telescope's aperure is f6.0. It has a very finely geared focuser - focus has been very easy on the ground glass.
Maybe I should take a closer look at the possibility of connecting my camera to my birding telescope. Food for thoughts. Thanks Woody.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Leif :thumbup:

One from today, just documenting the high ISO performance on the D3X (well "semi-high ISO" by today's standards, i guess :eek:)

D3X - ZF 50/2M @f2 - ISO1250 - natural light - handheld - NX2 standard mode - about 30% crop

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Wow. Not only an ultra high resolution machine, even does high ISO :eek:

Beautiful rose, Corlan !

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Wow. Not only an ultra high resolution machine, even does high ISO :eek:

Beautiful rose, Corlan !
Thanks Steen.
Unfortunately the D3X "dies" after 1600 (quite or even extremely usable to that point, though). Which, for a relatively newcomer into shooting DP himself -but not dealing with, who used to struggle shooting dim light action portraits, no flash allowed with 400 ASA films and f2.8 zooms or f4 tele in the last century... it's fine :)

jbcrane

Leif :thumbup:

One from today, just documenting the high ISO performance on the D3X (well "semi-high ISO" by today's standards, i guess :eek:)

D3X - ZF 50/2M @f2 - ISO1250 - natural light - handheld - NX2 standard mode - about 30% crop
Gorgeous. One of my favorite colors. Well done and at 1250! it's a brave new world.