The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

m_driscoll

Exactly. in this regard it also reminded me of a "green wheat" shot posted a couple of weeks ago (notwithstanding the texture part you've noted), but it didn't want to make too many comparisons of the kind. Nothing ego related though, really, just how the mind works jumping from one concept to a similar one. :)
+1 on both counts.
And Jason, if not for the modern clothing (and the soy glitch, i guess :D) this could be an magazine/billboard ad from the 50's :)
Like the guys said... :bugeyes:
This one's fantastic, Matt! :thumbs:
(note: got what looks like a tad of a color cast on my monitor, at least for all the background part. But otoh, it's Sunday morning... :grin: and not enough :sleep006:)
Oh btw: nice lens you're using in those gardens' shots ;)
Corlan: That's how the mind works.
Jason's shot does remind one of a magazine ad from the 50's.
And, thanks for the comment on that photo. I didn't have a better macro lens, so, I was forced to take that one along. :LOL: Actually, probably none better on the Nikon! Although, there are some terriffic manual lenses. I don't notice the color cast on the laptop.

Insanely Delicious!
I will give a third WOW. That may have done it for me. I've been on the fence for a while for getting a 105 VR macro. That shot sealed it.
Steve/Jason: Gentlemen, thanks you very much! (insert two big smiles here) It is a great lens for non-tripod, dinging, around macros. Corlan's last comment about the lens is because he has one. (insert wink here)

From a civil war reenactment today. I didn't even notice the scratches on her face until I downloaded the image.
Tim: Nice portrait. Beautiful color, pose and framing. It has a delicate quality to it; even with the war wounds. You're in Maine! Who plays the Southern side and which battle are they reenacting? edit: I just googled it. Looks like a big deal in Maine. Were you at Fort McClary?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Cheers, Matt

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Matt! It was Fort Knox on the Penobscot River. I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable about the specific re-enactment as I should be. Since the fort never saw any action or fired a canon in anger, my guess is that it was simply an excuse for the players to bring out all their gear and play.

The gent with his thumb on the touchole made this canon himself. Loud!

And lots of authentic-style headgear

Lloyd

Thanks Matt! It was Fort Knox on the Penobscot River. I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable about the specific re-enactment as I should be. Since the fort never saw any action or fired a canon in anger, my guess is that it was simply an excuse for the players to bring out all their gear and play.

Very kewl, Tim. And great shots to boot.

m_driscoll

Tim: Thanks for the info. I like the authentic headgear photo. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For those of you who think you have a job that is too hard, here's a soft alternative ;)

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 300mm and f/8

Or you can just go for a ride...

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 200mm and f/8

shtarka1

For those of you who think you have a job that is too hard, here's a soft alternative ;)

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 300mm and f/8

Or you can just go for a ride...

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 200mm and f/8

I now appreciate selling furniture!:D Pink Bike with that stare...Priceless! Well done Jorgen!:)

Lloyd

I now appreciate selling furniture!:D Pink Bike with that stare...Priceless! Well done Jorgen!:)
I'm with Steve (well, except that I don't sell furniture). Make my job seem pretty cushy! Great catch on the pink bike shot. :thumbup:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm with Steve (well, except that I don't sell furniture). Make my job seem pretty cushy! Great catch on the pink bike shot. :thumbup:
Indeed! I confess that I'm fascinated by the mud rig. Looks like it might be propane powered. What the heck is it for (and does it come with a cup holder?).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Indeed! I confess that I'm fascinated by the mud rig. Looks like it might be propane powered. What the heck is it for (and does it come with a cup holder?).
Thanks guys. It does indeed run on gas, LPG, which Thailand has a lot of up in the Northeast. These are two-stroke engines with oil injection and they sound like machine guns when they're running.

They are used for preparing the soil for the next rice crop. In the part of Thailand where the photo was taken this morning, some farmers get three crops per year, and all kinds of technology is used to speed up the process. Here's the next step, leveling the paddy field:

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 220mm and f/8

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Very cool Jorgen, thanks for the explanation. Very unusual (to me). Farming is a lot of hard work no matter where it's done. Great photos!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Tim, thanks for the story. Though partial to the wonderful girl portrait, the second set super nice, too. Like the heagear shot a lot. And personally, on the second portait i'd go for a square or 4*5 crop (with a tad of the new CS5 healig tool that you like so much, on the right hand side ;) ). Nice series, would like to see more of them.

(sidenote: are we supposed to be able to click on your images? Since you're using the new server we have the option (for larger size?) but at least here it returns a "private folder" message. Just in case... :) )

Jorgen: splendid set and quite interesting info as always.
From what i see here i'll opt for the "Level Work". Wait, now... nope, i'll ride the pink bike. :angel:

P.S. the b&w version of Mud Power is very powerful as a standalone image.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
(sidenote: are we supposed to be able to click on your images? Since you're using the new server we have the option (for larger size?) but at least here it returns a "private folder" message. Just in case... :) )
Thanks Corlan! I might try your suggestion.

I've got a bunch from the fort, but it was an experimental day and I discovered something that, while interesting from a personal technique standpoint, made some of the best shots unusable. I have been in the habit of using the shutter priority mode and decided to try aperture priority mode. Normally, I am perfectly comfortable in S mode since it's become routine. I can adjust aperture as scene and light allows. But the switch to A screwed me up and I forgot I did it. Many of the best shots show camera shake. So live and learn, eh?

As for the image size, I output the size you see here. It's a tasty size that seems to work in a variety of venues online. I've always disliked side-scrolling and when they get too big, it can happen.