The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hey Steve, so you did not forget the cameras! :D
Sounds like you had a good time over there. Photos are all nice, overall the b&w processing is top notch as usual. :toocool:

Personal favorite is the first one, an instant classic (note: before printing i might crop/clone out the two "distracting elements" on the far right hand side). Next is #2, swarming with details and an sumptuous silver rendering. Wow.

Fun composition on #3, and light spectacular on the following one -i'll let others comment on the center subject there :rolleyes: #5's a Steve M. classic -though i'm partial to the Bostonian versions you've posted before (maybe this style carries more impact in a urban environnement? just thinking out loud).

The whole set from the narrows is just great!
(i'll cherrypick #9)

:thumbs:

shtarka1

Thanks C! Good eye on the needed crop on the first one ,right side:thumbup:!
An ND filter would have come in handy too! Appreciate you taking the time Brotha!

otumay

I liked all of them, Steve, but as Jørgen said, the shot with the lady sitting on the rocks tops it all.

rayyan

Beautiful, Rayyan. Is that curved knife a cenbiye?
Osman, thanks a lot. the curved knife is from the southern part of the country,
used as an ornament ( nowadays ) and the word sounds similar to ' cenbiye ' but more as ' genbiye '.

Is that a creation Rayyan? Or is it a photograph of the old neg? Either way... I'm impressed.
Another interesting experimentation Rayyan.
Like Lloyd, i'm wondering how many bits are involved?
Lloyd, Corlan: Grateful to you both for stopping by.

None of this is mine!!

The photos were taken by Ayesha in the old ' souk '. I did some layers and gradients. 2 layers of filters did the rest.

Thank you all.

rayyan

Steve, wonderful cameras you must have taken with you.:D The entire set is
super, but one has to cherry pick so the first one for me.

That is a big :bugeyes::bugeyes:

Now why am I not surprised that you took it? I can almost feel and hear the camera click on that one with you behind the camera.

Excellent work, honestly.

shtarka1

Great photos again, Steve. I particularly like this one for motive/composition:

and this one for b&w conversion:
Very much appreciated Jorgen!
I liked all of them, Steve, but as Jørgen said, the shot with the lady sitting on the rocks tops it all.
Osman, Thank You!
Steve, wonderful cameras you must have taken with you.:D The entire set is
super, but one has to cherry pick so the first one for me.

That is a big :bugeyes::bugeyes:

Now why am I not surprised that you took it? I can almost feel and hear the camera click on that one with you behind the camera.

Excellent work, honestly.
Thanks Rayyan! I guess im drawn to Nature!;)

shtarka1

Women's Tennis from the weekend

Early 4th of July crowd at the Gasworks Park. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 16mm; 1/40s @ f/4; ISO 900

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
One of my favs from last night.

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII, @ f4, ISO 800, SB-900 -1.75EV:
Hey everyone! Over in the Baltics right now.

Old Riga
Heritage..

Lovely Riga under the sun, Jason.

incidentally, was shot from the very same spot than these two in mid june...

:thumbs: Super.Super Stuff!!!!

otumay

Rayyan, of course you're right. Only that c is pronounced as g in Turkish, that's why it is differently spelled here. Thank you.

m_driscoll

Steve: Outstanding! PP and IQ excellent on all! :thumbs:
1. Great capture; cool bike/biker; very textural paving; fried dough pizza...yummy!
2. beautiful light emphasizing the tooling on the saddle; nice framing
3. well seen; clever juxtaposition of the cut-out and the horse
4. dramatic sky and light; well-balanced composition;"B&W" magazine fine art!
5. great lines, shadows & light flare; people in mid-foreground perfect
6. nicely framed and composed; contrast in their clothing makes the background and bridge seem lighter - makes them stand out
7. Nice lines and texture; the walkway and stair have an Escher graphic quality that works well with the 'naturescape'
8. Where was the Sierra Club when they built this! I'm guessing they probably didn't exist when they built the first walkways here in the 1800's? Great detail and perspective.
9. Nice capture; love photos of photographers; almost a vicarious pleasure
10. Beautiful texture and moving water.

Terrific series. BTW, where is this?

Cheers, Matt

shtarka1

Steve: Outstanding! PP and IQ excellent on all! :thumbs:
1. Great capture; cool bike/biker; very textural paving; fried dough pizza...yummy!
2. beautiful light emphasizing the tooling on the saddle; nice framing
3. well seen; clever juxtaposition of the cut-out and the horse
4. dramatic sky and light; well-balanced composition;"B&W" magazine fine art!
5. great lines, shadows & light flare; people in mid-foreground perfect
6. nicely framed and composed; contrast in their clothing makes the background and bridge seem lighter - makes them stand out
7. Nice lines and texture; the walkway and stair have an Escher graphic quality that works well with the 'naturescape'
8. Where was the Sierra Club when they built this! I'm guessing they probably didn't exist when they built the first walkways here in the 1800's? Great detail and perspective.
9. Nice capture; love photos of photographers; almost a vicarious pleasure
10. Beautiful texture and moving water.

Terrific series. BTW, where is this?

Cheers, Matt

Matt, thanks for taking the time! The Flume is in Franconia Notch, NH. 3hrs north from my house. Love to fly all the gang in & head up there for a photographer's shmorgasborg!:D

m_driscoll

Wow. Loving the look of these. :thumbup:
Matt, dude! Washington State Fair?!? "Do the Puyallup." Biggest single event in Washington. (Ok, I think it's officially the "Western Washington State Fair", but I'd say that counts.)
Lloyd: Thanks. (insert big grin here) You're right, the "Puyallup" is still there, but i feel the same way about it as Tim feels about their "State" fairs.

Matt: To me the color version seems to capture more of the feel of the occasion more than the bw version. But that's just me. Well captured. Best.
Rayyan: Thank you very much. I think you could be right. :D

MATT: Thanks for your comment! The State Fairs (several held each year in different parts of the state) have become more like what I think of as carnivals. A bit seedier with a higher proportion of fried dough to 4-H animals than the "country" fairs held later in the Fall. Kids seem to like them, but I find my tolerance for trash gets smaller each year....
Tim: Me too! Unless, it's trash i've never seen before. :LOL:

One of my favs from last night.
D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII, @ f4, ISO 800, SB-900 -1.75EV:
Lloyd: Beautiful family portrait. Well captured. I like the "brightness" in the photo. Nothing's overexposed, but it seems "light". "Future's bright" kind of light (sounds goofy when I write it down). Well composed with the space to right and left. (insert thumbs up here)

Hey everyone! Over in the Baltics right now.

Old Riga
Jason: Lucky you! Another area of the world that I've always wanted to got to . Excellent photo and pp. :salute:

Heritage...
Rayyan: Another nice experiment. This is very elegant. (insert salute here). This is probably my favorite, so far. These would make a terrific show (or book).

...Matt, was the gathering on the set for Planet of the Apes? :rolleyes:
Still partial to the fabulous previous B&W previously posted (a top keeper in my book), though Rayyan's right, these two might deliver more of the actual feel of the day...
Corlan: Thank you. (insert big smile here) The inflatable Statue of Liberty head is always there. I don't know if it's put there by the event organizers , or somebody brings it from home. Everybody in Seattle has one in there basement.

...A more rural setup, way west:

incidentally, was shot from the very same spot than these two in mid june...
Corlan: You momentarily threw me back. "West" is South of where I am. Then, I realized that you're "West" of Riga. I now view France differently: cowboy hats and boots, horses and cattle, John Wayne. :LOL:
The light and tonality in this photo's exquisite. It has a timeless quality. (insert thumbs up here)

Cheers, Matt