The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Definitely some contrast between the two -very cool- portraits...
is it the 85 AF-D Woody?
If I understand the Nikon lens lineup the 85 AFD is an f1.8. I'm using the current version of the 85mm f1.4. A new version has just been announced by Nikon - Nikon claims that it has better bokeh. If this turns out to be true I'll trade - I use this lens a lot - almost always wide open in poor light (like these two examples).

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
If I understand the Nikon lens lineup the 85 AFD is an f1.8. I'm using the current version of the 85mm f1.4. A new version has just been announced by Nikon - Nikon claims that it has better bokeh. If this turns out to be true I'll trade - I use this lens a lot - almost always wide open in poor light (like these two examples).
I'm -really- not too good with nomenclature, but as i understand it both 1.8 and 1.4 were "D" lenses.
Yes apparently the new 85mm AF-S is much better and not only for bokeh. First images available look very promising.

An amazing image Woody. And, based on the description on your blog, somewhat disturbing. I can understand now why hyenas are so feared.
+1

"That night in our tent I imagined that every sound that I heard outside of our tent was a hyena" :eek:

m_driscoll

MHC: Nicely done. I like the composition, angle and the colors in the first. :thumbup:
Jorgen: Terrific photos from Singapore. The "jump" is very cool, but "street photo" is my favorite. I, also, understand the streets are clean enough to sit on. :thumbup:
Steen: Great light and focus. Just the right amount of light on the face. :thumbup:
Corlan/Steen/et al: Very erudite discussion (above my pay grade, though). Thank you, gentlemen. :salute:
Jorgen: "Tooth sticks"? The lesson here is always travel with a pair of chopsticks. Although, they'd be confiscated by TSA, if you were flying here.
Rayyan: Ramadan kareem. Breathtaking, iconic, colorful, photo of one of my favorite places on earth. Welcome back.
Woody: Nice mix of excellent photos Really like the beton brut airplane hanger. 18 stitches! :thumbup:
Steen: Well lit photo of the sculpture! :thumbup:
Rayyan: That's a lot of rebar for a house! You know that they make power tools to bend it? :LOL:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen: Terrific photos from Singapore. The "jump" is very cool, but "street photo" is my favorite. I, also, understand the streets are clean enough to sit on. :thumbup:
You can eat soup from the streets in Singapore. Not a spec of dust in sight. Bacteria are stopped at the border :lecture:

Woody: Nice mix of excellent photos Really like the beton brut airplane hanger. 18 stitches! :thumbup:
+1
Fascinating architecture. What does it look like from the outside?

shtarka1

From my blog. More from Africa - food market in Nairobi. D700 + 85mm f1.4

Just like the above sculpture picture this shot is from Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek which is a Museum of ancient and modern art in Copenhagen.

click for larger size

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85mm ZF • 1/6400 sec. at f/2 ISO 200 • Capture NX
Hyena killing a wildebeest - from Tanzania and my daily photo blog.

Superb!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Lloyd. The lens, the Tamron 24-135mm, is one of the stranger options around. On DX, it really sucks above 80mm, is acceptable from 35-80, but between 24 and 35mm, it's unbelievably sharp, even wide open. I was going to take the GH1 to S'pore, but a couple of hour before departure, I found out that I had forgotten the OM/m43 adapter in my father's house, so had to take what was available, the S5 with 105mm f/1.8 and the Tamron. It doesn't matter of course, any camera/lens will do.

m_driscoll

Corlan: Very nice! Graphic background: red, black and a thin red line. Women also dressed simply and the column (?) in between

Oh yeah. Sure.
This from the guy who owns what's probably, past or present, the most enviable F kit on the board. :rolleyes: :ROTFL:
Corlan: But, i just point and shoot! Light comes in, something happens, and i can see it on my magic screen. :p

S5 with Tamron 24-135 @ 24mm and f/7.1

Jorgen: Excellent composition! My first "Merlion". I googled it.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com