The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steve and Corlan!

The Zeiss lens has my mouth watering which is more than I can say for the prospect of a new Nikon body. It's inevitable I suppose, but for now, it feels good to be looking forward to the macro. And since one of my old (very) favorites was the early 200mm internal focussing micro nikkor, it will be interesting to see how the 100 feels on the DX sensor.

Now If I could only sell that 12-24DX I'd feel a lot better!

m_driscoll

Allow me some multi-threading here please...
The Route des Vins d'Alsace:
I might be incoherent towards the end..so please let me know how it tastes
Pretty Composition!
Rayyan: Yes, it certainly is! Coherency isn't everything. It's very tasty. The black and gray background really works with the photos. :thumbup:

What an interesting bridge. Nicely seen & shot! You can feel the coarseness in the rocks in # 2. The 28-300 is proving to be a versatile & sharp lens Matt! Nice set!
Matt: Careful there pal. That's not a puddle. Well captured.
Steve/Rayyan: Thank you both! :D Spokane was founded in 1810 as a trading post for the North West Company. Probably at the falls because it's at the confluence of two rivers and you'd have to portage here. The bridge was built for Expo 74. :lecture:

Walk thru them fields and quench your thirst with Evian in the caveau.:angel:
Corlan,small world indeed. yes, we had lunch there. Ayesha ordered ( pretty fluent in French she is ). She had dessert, I am supposed to avoid sweets, amongst other things. Evian..a close cousin of Perrier!
Here's a story. We were in Colmar. Met a couple from the Big Country in a restaurant. Anyways, got talking. Walked with them to Little Venice, where they wanted a Canal Ride. They were a little disappointed that that there were no Gondolas!
Anyways here is Ayesha screaming away in French, as on-lookers stare, telling the boatman to sing for the couple at the rear.
He sang!!! She told me later that she did not want the American friends to go home disappointed with France. So he Sang!
Rayyan: Well seen and photographed! :thumbs: My grandfather was from Alsace. The last time he was there was 1918 as an American doughboy. The closest I came to Alsace was Bofinger in Paris

Backgammon on the rooftop. D3s + 70-200vrII.
Vlad: Nicely composed and pp'd! The rusting metal wall contrasts nicely with the newish roof coating. (insert thumbs up here)

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

My deepest regards to Abby. And to her photographer...
Osman: Thank you, sir. She cooperated for my lens "test" and I liked the shot.

Hey gents. Lots of cogitation lately about possible new equipment, but this little shot has made up my mind for me. Instead of a new body, I'm going for the Zeiss 100 f2 macro. Funny how things happen. This was pushing it with the 17-55 DX.

Enjoy the Fall! It's a good one!

Tim: Beautiful photo. Doesn't seem like Fall out here. Nothing's turned. Enjoy the new lens and wait for the next iteration of Nikon bodies.

I like the rendering of the new lens Matt! The eyes are so sharp & colorful! Congrats!
Steve: Thanks. :D the IQ is equally good at 24mm.

Matt: Abby looks good. Interesting foreground bokeh.
Btw, is it the book she just finished reading?...
Corlan: Thanks, I'll tell her. No, not hers, she doesn't read mysteries. It is "interesting" (bad, or good, interesting?) bokeh. I'll have to take some more photos.

Cheers, Matt.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A few more from rural Thailand:

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 200mm and f/5.6

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 210mm and f/6.3

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 190mm and f/7.1

m_driscoll

A few more from the I-90 rest stop. Strange camera settings? Well, I was in a hurry to get across the pass. Cheers, Matt

1. D700;28-300mm; 62mm; 1/200s @ f/14; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

2. D700; 24mm f/1.4; 1/4000s @ f/16; -2-1/3 EV; ISO 1250

3. D700; 24mm f/1.4; 1/8000s @ f/16; -3-1/3 EV; ISO 1250

Lloyd

Just got back from a few days in Wyoming, following my friend's Pony Express Trail run. I ran with him some as well. Great time. I'll post a few here, and a few on the Leica Digital M thread.

Sunrise near Muddy Junction, Wyoming; southwest of South Pass.

D3, 28-70/2.8

About 5 miles into a 56-mile day. West of Jeffrey City, Wyoming. That's his support vehicle trailing him.

D3, 200-400/f4 VR

At about mile 10 for the day, just crossing into (and just across) the Ice Slough. Still a little west of Jeffrey City.

D3, 200-400/f4 VR

Last edited:

Lloyd

A few more from the same day.

Company! One of his support team joined him for about 10 miles in the morning. She's Krissy Moehl, a mutual friend, and one of the top female ultrarunners in the world. Krissy won a big race in Japan just a couple of weeks before joining Karl's crew for the final half of his run.

On this day, she left her vehicle and ran with him for ten miles. Then she ran the ten miles back to the vehicle. (No need for me to offer a ride, she wanted the mileage.)

D3, 200-400

Running toward "Split Rock", one of the landmarks along the Emigrant Trails (and the Pony Express Trail, of course). Karl GREATLY prefers running on dirt, but on this day ran about 80% of his 56 miles on the highway.

D3, 200-400

One of the many spectators cheering him on along the route.

D3, 200-400

Running past Devil's Gate, toward Rattlesnake Pass, which is about 200 yards to it's south. These are two of the major landmarks on the Emigrant and Pony Express Trails, and located about 20 miles east of Split Rock. At this point, Karl was at 54 miles for the day.

D3, 200-400

Twilight sky over Split Rock.

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great photos, Lloyd. I particularly like these two:

Just got back from a few days in Wyoming, following my friend's Pony Express Trail run. I ran with him some as well. Great time. I'll post a few here, and a few on the Leica Digital M thread.

D3, 200-400/f4 VR

m_driscoll

I really like these Matt. Great b/w treatment. Congrats on all the fun new glass. I'm truly jealous.
Lloyd: Thank you! :D I'm truly envious of your "once in a lifetime" experience.

Sunrise near Muddy Junction, Wyoming; southwest of South Pass.
D3, 28-70/2.8

About 5 miles into a 56-mile day. West of Jeffrey City, Wyoming. That's his support vehicle trailing him.
At about mile 10 for the day, just crossing into (and just across) the Ice Slough. Still a little west of Jeffrey City.
D3, 200-400/f4 VR
A few more from the same day.
Company! One of his support team joined him for about 10 miles in the morning. She's Krissy Moehl, a mutual friend, and one of the top female ultrarunners in the world. Krissy won a big race in Japan just a couple of weeks before joining Karl's crew for the final half of his run.

On this day, she left her vehicle and ran with him for ten miles. Then she ran the ten miles back to the vehicle. (No need for me to offer a ride, she wanted the mileage.)

D3, 200-400

Running toward "Split Rock", one of the landmarks along the Emigrant Trails (and the Pony Express Trail, of course). Karl GREATLY prefers running on dirt, but on this day ran about 80% of his 56 miles on the highway.

D3, 200-400

One of the many spectators cheering him on along the route.

Running past Devil's Gate, toward Rattlesnake Pass, which is about 200 yards to it's south. These are two of the major landmarks on the Emigrant and Pony Express Trails, and located about 20 miles east of Split Rock. At this point, Karl was at 54 miles for the day.

D3, 200-400

Twilight sky over Split Rock.
Lloyd: Pretty incredible endeavor and experience that you're participating in! This looks like the middle of nowhere. Your photos really convey his singular effort (even with the support and fellow runners). The second photo, above, with the 200-400 sums it up for me. :thumbs:

Also, his shoes look like they have 2" thick soles?

Cheers, Matt