The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lloyd,

What a endeavour! What a story!
So well told, instructive and nicely illustrated that's it's hard to pick a favorite moment.

Overall, it feels like a sum of intimate moments placed on a nearly infinite perspective... a parable of life?

Thanks for taking us along for that day, from sunrise to sunset.

Just got back from a few days in Wyoming, following my friend's Pony Express Trail run. I ran with him some as well. Great time. I'll post a few here, and a few on the Leica Digital M thread.

Sunrise near Muddy Junction, Wyoming; southwest of South Pass.

About 5 miles into a 56-mile day. West of Jeffrey City, Wyoming. That's his support vehicle trailing him.

At about mile 10 for the day, just crossing into (and just across) the Ice Slough. Still a little west of Jeffrey City.

A few more from the same day.

Running past Devil's Gate, toward Rattlesnake Pass, which is about 200 yards to it's south. These are two of the major landmarks on the Emigrant and Pony Express Trails, and located about 20 miles east of Split Rock. At this point, Karl was at 54 miles for the day.

D3, 200-400

Twilight sky over Split Rock.

shtarka1

LLoyd...In ALL Seriousness, This Story & Photo Essay Needs To Be In Nat-Geo & Runner's World & A Slew Of Other Magazines! The Images Are Amazing & The Story Should Be Spread Across The Globe!!! :thumbs::salute:

shtarka1

Matt, Beautiful Expanse & PP!

Fulton, What An Unreal, Perfect Grab!

Hacker....Adorable & Cute To The 10th Power!

rayyan

Backgammon on the rooftop. D3s + 70-200vrII.

Vlad{ Excellent perspective and moment. Lovely colors.

Abby with new lens. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3s; AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR; 120mm; 1/40s @ f/4; ISO 6400

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Matt: Congrats on the new lens. Yes lovely Abby. Need to see more from this lens.

Hey gents. Lots of cogitation lately about possible new equipment, but this little shot has made up my mind for me. Instead of a new body, I'm going for the Zeiss 100 f2 macro. Funny how things happen. This was pushing it with the 17-55 DX.

Enjoy the Fall! It's a good one!

Tim: That is an excellent lens and you have shown what it is capable of.

rayyan

A few more from rural Thailand:

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 200mm and f/5.6

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 210mm and f/6.3

D300 with 70-300 ED @ 190mm and f/7.1

Jorgen, we are experiencing the beauty and diversity of Thailand through your eyes and lens. A truly outstanding collection.:salute:

rayyan

A few more from the I-90 rest stop. Strange camera settings? Well, I was in a hurry to get across the pass. Cheers, Matt

1. D700;28-300mm; 62mm; 1/200s @ f/14; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

2. D700; 24mm f/1.4; 1/4000s @ f/16; -2-1/3 EV; ISO 1250

3. D700; 24mm f/1.4; 1/8000s @ f/16; -3-1/3 EV; ISO 1250

Matt: Epic landscapes presented in a dramatic and grand scale. The BW treatment lends majesty to the setting.:thumbup:

rayyan

Just got back from a few days in Wyoming, following my friend's Pony Express Trail run. I ran with him some as well. Great time. I'll post a few here, and a few on the Leica Digital M thread.

Sunrise near Muddy Junction, Wyoming; southwest of South Pass.

D3, 28-70/2.8

About 5 miles into a 56-mile day. West of Jeffrey City, Wyoming. That's his support vehicle trailing him.

D3, 200-400/f4 VR

At about mile 10 for the day, just crossing into (and just across) the Ice Slough. Still a little west of Jeffrey City.

D3, 200-400/f4 VR

Hi Lloyd: Seems to be John Ford's season. Grand settings, brilliant photography. The second and third ones are outstanding.:salute:

rayyan

A few more from the same day.

Company! One of his support team joined him for about 10 miles in the morning. She's Krissy Moehl, a mutual friend, and one of the top female ultrarunners in the world. Krissy won a big race in Japan just a couple of weeks before joining Karl's crew for the final half of his run.

On this day, she left her vehicle and ran with him for ten miles. Then she ran the ten miles back to the vehicle. (No need for me to offer a ride, she wanted the mileage.)

D3, 200-400

Running toward "Split Rock", one of the landmarks along the Emigrant Trails (and the Pony Express Trail, of course). Karl GREATLY prefers running on dirt, but on this day ran about 80% of his 56 miles on the highway.

D3, 200-400

One of the many spectators cheering him on along the route.

D3, 200-400

Running past Devil's Gate, toward Rattlesnake Pass, which is about 200 yards to it's south. These are two of the major landmarks on the Emigrant and Pony Express Trails, and located about 20 miles east of Split Rock. At this point, Karl was at 54 miles for the day.

D3, 200-400

Twilight sky over Split Rock.

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII
Lloyd: Outstanding work Lloyd. The shots of Karl deserve a magazine place.
Lovely compositions capturing the landscape and the lone runner. Lovely work.:thumbup::thumbup:

rayyan

Beautiful color,composition & story Rayyan!
Steve: Much appreciated sir.

Rayyan: nice shot, fun story. Good thing you were able to take a bit of distance from the scene to get it right. Story for a song :)

:
Corlan: I was away so as to avoid anything to do with this scenario!:D

Rayyan: Yes, it certainly is! Coherency isn't everything. It's very tasty. The black and gray background really works with the photos. :thumbup

Rayyan: Well seen and photographed! :thumbs: My grandfather was from Alsace. The last time he was there was 1918 as an American doughboy. The closest I came to Alsace was Bofinger in Paris

Cheers, Matt

Matt: Thanks. You will truly enjoy Alsace. I feel that in my bones!

rayyan

Let's continue with my Swiss trek. I crawled back up to the path. The knees
were painful. The Backpack was wet, but otherwise man and equipment seemed to be in service.

The path was narrow. On my right it fell of sharply towards the valley below.

The weather was not threatening. It was a cold and mystical scene. But my fall
brought me back to look at the path and try to fasten my pace before the light
started failing me..

The descent seemed to never let up. I had tried to contact Ayesha on the mobile but had no response. Looked at the path, the valley to the right and carefully but purposefully started moving forward with a perceptible limp.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Steve, don't know i missed these yesterday!

Ensconced..

D3, 24G 1.4
Selective focus & shallow DOF at his best for portrait. :thumbup:
What kind of contraption is grafted on is left hand though? :confused: :)

Me & My...

D3, 24G 1.4
A classic well revisited. I don't quite understand the connection between forms and the shadows, which is a good thing adding some mystery.

"You Say Goodbye & I Say Hello"

D700, 85G
:toocool: :thumbs:

And what did you say? "Why why why" or "go, go, go"? :D

A few more from rural Thailand:
Lively, colorful and three dimensional.
And "Going Home" is really lovely!

A few more from the I-90 rest stop. Strange camera settings? Well, I was in a hurry to get across the pass. Cheers, Matt

Strange camera settings making for unsual results.
Coundn't guess you were in a hurry there, a bit of of a gloomy mood though.

Fav framing is the first one, though the wider angles give more justice to the spectacular clouds' cover geometry.

One thing for sure: nobody would guess they're from an Interstate rest stop! Is it the I-90? :bugeyes: Would have bet more on W-12 (or 2, upper north) in the vicinity.

(i confess just checking the map for SR12 - remember well US2 though, from Glacier to Everett. Was a bit disappointed at the time (October 2002?) except for the last NF part.)