The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Lloyd

Let's continue with my Swiss trek. I crawled back up to the path. The knees
were painful. The Backpack was wet, but otherwise man and equipment seemed to be in service.

The path was narrow. On my right it fell of sharply towards the valley below.

The weather was not threatening. It was a cold and mystical scene. But my fall
brought me back to look at the path and try to fasten my pace before the light
started failing me..

The descent seemed to never let up. I had tried to contact Ayesha on the mobile but had no response. Looked at the path, the valley to the right and carefully but purposefully started moving forward with a perceptible limp.
This entire series is really amazing work. Thank you for sharing. (And for increasing my lust of some Zeiss glass for my Nikons!):salute:

rayyan

Jaw Dropping Beauty!
Rayyan..Thank For Your Kind Comments Earlier My Friend!
Steve: Grateful sir. And you are welcome.

+1 :thumbs:
Rayyan, in addition to the incredible view the level of details is stunning! :bugeyes:
Corlan, I too am pleasantly surprised at that little 50mm. Thank you for the kind words.

This entire series is really amazing work. Thank you for sharing. (And for increasing my lust of some Zeiss glass for my Nikons!):salute:
Lloyd: Much appreciated my friend. You must give a zf a try.

Gentlemen :salute::salute:

Lloyd

Great photos, Lloyd. I particularly like these two:
Lloyd: Thank you! :D I'm truly envious of your "once in a lifetime" experience.

Lloyd: Pretty incredible endeavor and experience that you're participating in! This looks like the middle of nowhere. Your photos really convey his singular effort (even with the support and fellow runners). The second photo, above, with the 200-400 sums it up for me. :thumbs:

Also, his shoes look like they have 2" thick soles?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Lloyd,

What a endeavour! What a story!
So well told, instructive and nicely illustrated that's it's hard to pick a favorite moment.

Overall, it feels like a sum of intimate moments placed on a nearly infinite perspective... a parable of life?

Thanks for taking us along for that day, from sunrise to sunset.
LLoyd...In ALL Seriousness, This Story & Photo Essay Needs To Be In Nat-Geo & Runner's World & A Slew Of Other Magazines! The Images Are Amazing & The Story Should Be Spread Across The Globe!!! :thumbs::salute:
Hi Lloyd: Seems to be John Ford's season. Grand settings, brilliant photography. The second and third ones are outstanding.:salute:
Lloyd: Outstanding work Lloyd. The shots of Karl deserve a magazine place.
Lovely compositions capturing the landscape and the lone runner. Lovely work.:thumbup::thumbup:
In all seriousness, I'm grateful for your kind responses. This has been quite a journey for me as well. Karl is a friend, and even more than that, he's a good and humble man. He doesn't think what he's doing is special or heroic, and he thinks those on the team are the ones who have it hard. (By the way, there are usually three people on the support team, including a physiologist, who tracks his vitals, tests his blood, and monitors his overall nutrition. This wasn't something he asked for, but his sponsors thought it would be interesting to see how his body responded. Leslie, the scientist, told me that the adaptations he's made so far have "been incredible". She's been genuinely astounded by what she's seeing. It will be very interesting to see her final report.) Of what he's doing, Karl simply says, "I just run."

It was great to be able to document even a small portion of the run. (There are some other photographers, and a film crew (Red Bull's idea, of course) who will be joining the group over the next couple of weeks.) I was watching his progress today on the interactive map, and wishing so much that I could go back for more!

Matt, in answer to your question about his shoes (a keen observation on your part, btw), yes, they do have very large soles. Karl has been very loyal to a different brand of shoes for years, and even had very a substantial sponsorship contract with them for the past two years. However, on a lark, he tried these, in his words, "weird shoes", and was immediately hooked. He called his sponsor and said he needed to be dropped from their support. He decided he'd run in these new ones, even if he was paying for them out-of-pocket! Of course, the company that makes them got wind of it, and he doesn't have to pay. And because of his enthusiasm about them, and given his status in the ultrarunning world, their sales have shot through the roof. The brand is HOKA. I've tried them, but found the upper hit my ankle in an uncomforable way. However, with a little friendly arm twisting to from Karl, administered while we were running together, and based on his suggestion that I perform a little "surgery" on the shoes, I'll be getting a pair in the very near future. And, they have a road version, which will be available starting in about February. Also, despite the rather substantial look of the shoes, they are amazingly light.

Again, I greatly appreciate the reception given the story and the images. Very much appreciated.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Not so far, north of Rayyan's Alsace.

A view of one the (in)famous WWI battlefields. Several major battles happened there, in particular a large part of the dreadful 1917's Nivelle Offensive. Huge artillery on both sides, no trenches (more "caves"). Almost half a million lives gone in 10 days.

Today's landscape is serene, with little scars of those days sheer destruction.
But there's still something special on the air, like a suspended, idle mix of sadness and beauty.

I waited for the light...

D3X // 20-35 @ 25mm f8
(sorry for the large width - it's already heavily downsized)

Lloyd

A view of one the (in)famous WWI battlefields. Several major battles happened there, in particular a large part of the dreadful 1917's Nivelle Offensive. Huge artillery on both sides, no trenches (more "caves"). Almost half a million lives gone in 10 days.

But there's still something special on the air, like a suspended, idle mix of sadness and beauty.

D3X // 20-35 @ 25mm f8
Sobering. Beautiful image. I really like the treatment.

m_driscoll

At the playground:
Hacker: Beautiful photos. Great framing, color, selective focus, and expressions. :thumbup:

Hi folks...back from Hawaii. Here's one from tonight--'Flying Cardinal'. Stanford took care of USC 37-35
Bob: Excellent capture! Look like he's at the high point and coming down. Terrific that there was nothing but air between him and the stands. :salute:

...Matt, Beautiful Expanse & PP!...
Steve: Thank you, my friend. :D

Matt: Congrats on the new lens. Yes lovely Abby. Need to see more from this lens...
Rayyan: Thank you! Didn't get much opportunity to use it today.

Matt: Epic landscapes presented in a dramatic and grand scale. The BW treatment lends majesty to the setting.:thumbup:
Rayyan: Thank you very much. I'm learning. :D

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Strange camera settings making for unsual results.
Coundn't guess you were in a hurry there, a bit of of a gloomy mood though.

Fav framing is the first one, though the wider angles give more justice to the spectacular clouds' cover geometry.

One thing for sure: nobody would guess they're from an Interstate rest stop! Is it the I-90? :bugeyes: Would have bet more on W-12 (or 2, upper north) in the vicinity.

(i confess just checking the map for SR12 - remember well US2 though, from Glacier to Everett. Was a bit disappointed at the time (October 2002?) except for the last NF part.)
Corlan: Thanks. I went back to the car and changed the lens to the 28-300mm because I didn't want to climb the barbed wire fence. Yeah, there are a lot of nicer roads then I-90; at least in Washington. It's the longest Interstate in the US at 3,099.07 miles. Terminates in Seattle at Safeco and Qwest Fields and in Boston near Logan Airport. Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Let's continue with my Swiss trek. I crawled back up to the path. The knees
were painful. The Backpack was wet, but otherwise man and equipment seemed to be in service.
The path was narrow. On my right it fell of sharply towards the valley below.
The weather was not threatening. It was a cold and mystical scene. But my fall
brought me back to look at the path and try to fasten my pace before the light
started failing me..
The descent seemed to never let up. I had tried to contact Ayesha on the mobile but had no response. Looked at the path, the valley to the right and carefully but purposefully started moving forward with a perceptible limp.
Back in Alsace..
Rayyan: It's like one of those "serials" that they had at movies when i was a kid (recycled ones...I'm not that old). Fortunately (I hope), we won't have to wait until next week to see what happens. Going down's always harder, and since you're not a kid, I won't admonish you for hiking alone.

Beautiful photos looking down into the valley and the trail ahead. I esp. like the way you caught the light and cloud in the first.

The "Alsace" image is very well done. Film-like colors and great shadows.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

D3X // 20-35 @ 25mm f8
Sobering. Beautiful image. I really like the treatment.
Well Said & Agree!
Corlan: +1, +1. Very well done! PP sympathetic to the landscape and the history. I think at places like that you can feel "something special on the air, like a suspended, idle mix of sadness and beauty". Very evocative. :thumbs:

Cheers, Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

D3X // 20-35 @ 25mm f8
Beautiful landscape photo. I do think I would have preferred the sky a bit darker and with a bit more definition though. Not a major thing, but still.

Is that the 20-35 AF? Does it still perform well with all your megapixels? I've been considering that lens more times than I can count, but since I still don't own an FX camera, it's on hold until.... until I give in :D

otumay

D3X // 20-35 @ 25mm f8
Corlan, I could cry, just by looking at the photo after reading your caption. This is photography at its best. Thank you, my friend.

rayyan

Innovative & Gorgeous! I Need A Prescription For Both!;)
Steve: Many thanks my friend.

That make two of us. :thumbup:
Lloyd: So much appreciated, sir.

You captured the essence of Alsace; Rayyan! :cool:

(pun intended... for Ayesha) ;)
Corlan: Grateful pal. I was trying to capture the ' spirit ' of the place:D

Rayyan: It's like one of those "serials" that they had at movies when i was a kid (recycled ones...I'm not that old). Fortunately (I hope), we won't have to wait until next week to see what happens. Going down's always harder, and since you're not a kid, I won't admonish you for hiking alone.

Beautiful photos looking down into the valley and the trail ahead. I esp. like the way you caught the light and cloud in the first.

The "Alsace" image is very well done. Film-like colors and great shadows.

Cheers, Matt

Matt: Much appreciated Matt. Just 4 more hours to go:eek:
Very perceptive of you Matt. The ' Alsace ' captures have been run thru a velvia 50 filter.

You guys are swell.:salute: