The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

rayyan

Ayesha and I were sitting in our backyard around 1000 hrs this morning. Beautiful sunny day. I had my camera with me, taking pics of flowers and birds. And Ayesha.

My son walked over.

Salams Dad, Mom. He kissed our foreheads, as is our custom, to show respect.

How did it go, asked Ayesha. Ok he said.

Want breakfast? Just coffee please. He went into the house.

He had changed, and came back with his acoustic guitar.

I just clicked, as he strummed his guitar. I knew he was troubled.

He was the senior resident in the ER last night.

Ayesha brought some olives, cheese, black tea, water and coffee.

Guitar = Worry. Everything ok? asked Ayesha.

No reply. he just played his guitar.

A road accident case came in last night. With that he walked back into the house.

Drive safely all of you.

Ayesha and I were sitting in our backyard around 1000 hrs this morning. Beautiful sunny day. I had my camera with me, taking pics of flowers and birds. And Ayesha.

My son walked over.

A road accident case came in last night. With that he walked back into the house.

Drive safely all of you.
Rayyan: Thanks for your feedback on my post further above and your wishes!:salute:

Thanks as well for the reminder (regarding driving with caution) and the nice pictures of your guitar playing son, particularly like the first one.:thumbup:

Hermann, Swiss winter is almost as beautiful as the Norwegian one! :D

leif e
Leif: On one of my next trips I will check that thoroughly!:D Although I believe you without any doubt.:thumbup::salute:

Herman, make sure you have plenty of food stored! Wow, so much snow! Sure is a Winter Wonderland! Happy & Healthy Holidays To You & Your Family!
Steve: Don't worry, the picture was shot last winter!:D Though plenty of fine food is in the fridge, more than enough, so we are prepared for all eventualities.:)
Thank you for your kind words and sincere wishes!:salute::salute:

shtarka1

My son walked over.

Drive safely all of you.
Rayyan, tell your son a friend from Boston wishes him ASALAM ALAIKUM & to keep up the Great Work! Excellent shots!

Lloyd

Hermann, Swiss winter is almost as beautiful as the Norwegian one! :D

leif e
+1 from me. Hope you get some more this year.

QUOTE=emmawest72;274220]Thanks to all for their kind words!

D700/20-35mm/Aperture 3

[/QUOTE]

Another beauty, William. I really love the shadow here.

Lloyd

My son walked over.

Drive safely all of you.
A simple story, a simple exchange, a simple image. But with a powerful message on many levels. I think it speaks of your relationship with your son, and his with you and Ayesha. But more it speaks of his humanity. Clearly, his patients are very human to him. The world needs more docs like that.

This also reminds me of an experience of many years ago. I hope you don't mind my sharing it here.

When I was young, my adored uncle was doing his residency, and was going to have to miss a family gathering. Late that first evening he arrived unexpectedly (a two-plus hour drive from his hospital), still wearing his surgical scrubs (right down to his shoe covers), and went into a bedroom of the house, closing the door behind him. His wife saw immediately that something was not right, and followed him into the room. Later she emerged, and it was obvious she had been crying, but she offered no explanation.

I didn't see him again that night, and when I got up the next morning, he was gone. Later I learned that he had lost his first patient on the operating table, an elderly woman of whom he was very fond. He was devastated, and has since told me that to this day, the experience is still vivid in his mind and heart. He told me once that some of his colleagues dealt with those experience by mentally reducing their patients to objects, never wanting to connect with them on a human level. My uncle practiced medicine for nearly 45 years, and taught for years at a medical school. He said that during that very long night all those years ago, he decided that he could never afford to dehumanize his patients for his own defense. That if he every lost another, that they deserved to be felt as deeply about as had that first one. I suspect they were.

Last edited:

shtarka1

A simple story, a simple exchange, a simple image. But with a powerful message on many levels. I think it speaks of your relationship with your son, and his with you and Ayesha. But more it speaks of his humanity. Clearly, his patients are very human to him. The world needs more docs like that.

This also reminds me of an experience of many years ago. I hope you don't mind my sharing it here.

When I was young, my adored uncle was doing his residency, and was going to have to miss a family gathering. Late that first evening he arrived unexpectedly (a two-plus hour drive from his hospital), still wearing his surgical scrubs (right down to his shoe covers), and went into a bedroom of the house, closing the door behind him. His wife saw immediately that something was not right, and followed him into the room. Later she emerged, and it was obvious she had been crying, but she offered no explanation.

I didn't see him again that night, and when I got up the next morning, he was gone. Later I learned that he had lost his first patient on the operating table, an elderly woman of whom he was very fond. He was devastated, and has since told me that to this day, the experience is still vivid in his mind and heart. He told me once that some of his colleagues dealt with those experience by mentally reducing their patients to objects, never wanting to connect with them on a human level. My uncle practiced medicine for nearly 45 years, and taught for years at a medical school. He said that during that very long night all those years ago, he decided that he could never afford to dehumanize his patients for his own defense. That if he every lost another, that they deserved to be felt as deeply about as had that first one. I suspect they were.
Amen. Thanks for sharing this Lloyd & Rayyan!
The movie "Patch Adams", starring Robin Williams, brings this home wonderfully!

m_driscoll

Way freakin' behind! Please bear with me? Today's weather in Seattle would best be described as wet, suicidal, gray.

Jorgen: Great casual pj feeling to "wedding guests"
Lloyd: Stunning portraits!
Rayyan: "Last train" is very cool!
Steve: Nice shots of your cycling buds!
Frank: "Mind the gap!" Well seen capture in the tube and surreal shot of the Saturn (?) display.
Rayyan: Always love your mountain photos. You got a good photo and she didn't knock you down and take your SD card.
Frank: Great color in your Palestine photos.
Joe: Interesting comment and beautiful photos. "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it , does it make a sound? ... If there be no ears to hear, there will be no sound. "
Frank: Excellent photos and thought-provoking pairing.
Viablex1: Strongly defined subject and extended DOF makes an interesting statement.
Rayyan: Looks like bull to me. Some of your images are "content protected by owner". I'm going to correctly assume that they great photos.
Carlos: Awesome eye and technique.
Rayyan: Bravo, again. Wish i was hiking down to that lake.
JSF: Are conditions in Florida really that primitive?
Rayyan: "Nosztalgia"...nice! Flying machines (hopefully); ponies and sherpas; roses; contractors from the AFPAK (looks a bit like a descendent of Alexander's army). Your journeys boggle my pedestrian mind!
William: Beautiful lady and contrast.
Lief: Wonderful "texture" and lone green conifer. "Down by the little lake" is stunning! "Scandanese" art. (if SP can do it; I can too)
Rayyan: You also have a knack for reminding us that "...man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance."
Hermann: The darkness and lack of detail in the cabins makes it even colder.
William: Nice, again. The shots are your gallery make a stunning set.
Rayyan: Thank your son for all of us.
Lloyd: Thank you for sharing.
Steve: I actually write a comment and then scroll down and find you've expressed a similar thought.

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas to you all and your families. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos in this forum. It means a lot to me personally, and reassures me, that despite the daily news, William Faulkner was right.

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

rayyan

Hermann, Steve, Lloyd, Matt...

It is a privelge to be amongst honorable people. Thank you all sincerely.

Lloyd, honored to make the acquaintance of your uncle sir.

Matt, almost put out an APB for a missing Mr. Driscoll in Pike's Market Place.

To all at DPI, Season's Greeting and Allah's Blessings.

:salute::salute::salute:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
hey guys, long time no see. Looks like have been buried under red tape in a dimly lit room for weeks :wtf: :angry:... just a quick log in to wish all my dear friends here a Merry Christmas, wherever you are :)

More soon (hopefully)!

shtarka1

Before starting work on the big dinner, I just wanted wish you all a Merry Christmas!

leif e
Same to you Leif! Happy Holidays!
hey guys, long time no see. Looks like have been buried under red tape in a dimly lit room for weeks :wtf: :angry:... just a quick log in to wish all my dear friends here a Merry Christmas, wherever you are :)

More soon (hopefully)!
CORLAN!!!!!!!!!! Nice To See You!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Here's one from Ho Chi Minh City Wednesday night. A Very Merry Christmas to all of you.

D300 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/3.2

Stunning Image Jorgan! Happy Holidays!
Season's Greetings from me to y'all....

Movie Star Looks! Seasons Greetings My Good Friend!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
49 Fantastic Photographers and Me

Beautiful Xmas day low sun snow views, Leif.
I'd like to add one.

click for larger

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G • 1/2000 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

leif e

Steen; nice! Danish even?? We hear a lot about Danish winter this year. And Bornholm!! I really feel sorry for bornholmerne.

leif e