The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am very impressed with the D3

fotografz

I'm with you Stuart. This may be he single most impressive compilation of useful features and ergonomic friendliness I've experienced in a 35mm DSLR since I handled the F6.

Hi ISO performance is astounding. I just got my AFS 24-70/2.8 this morning ... and I was delighted with the build and the size compared to the Canon L version. I'm not usually a zoom kind of shooter, but needed a general application Zoom for wedding work.

Loving it. Hasn't disappointed yet ... which has happened on so many purchases in the past two years it isn't even funny.

jonoslack

Hi ISO performance is astounding. I just got my AFS 24-70/2.8 this morning ... and I was delighted with the build and the size compared to the Canon L version. I'm not usually a zoom kind of shooter, but needed a general application Zoom for wedding work.

Loving it. Hasn't disappointed yet ... which has happened on so many purchases in the past two years it isn't even funny.
HI Marc
Isn't it a splendid lens - I got mine in a bundle with the body, I don't think I've ever used a better zoom lens:
Minimal distortion
Minimal vignetting
Sharp to the corners - even wide open
Close focusing (so many of the pro zooms stop at a metre and more)
Great Build quality
Wonderful handling.

I'm not really interested in any primes in that range (except possibly a zeiss 50mm), lots of the time there doesn't seem a great deal of point in taking it off the camera.

fotografz

HI Marc
Isn't it a splendid lens - I got mine in a bundle with the body, I don't think I've ever used a better zoom lens:
Minimal distortion
Minimal vignetting
Sharp to the corners - even wide open
Close focusing (so many of the pro zooms stop at a metre and more)
Great Build quality
Wonderful handling.

I'm not really interested in any primes in that range (except possibly a zeiss 50mm), lots of the time there doesn't seem a great deal of point in taking it off the camera.
I didn't even realize how close the new 24-70 would focus until you mentioned it. OMG! :clap:

Do you know if a 1.4X extender can be used with the 24-70 lens? I have the AFS TC-14E-II that I got for the 200/2 = 280/2.8 ... but it'd be really cool if I could use it to make the 24-70/2.8 a 35-100/4 ... for less packing when doing a road trip wedding.

I approached primes a little differently from what you mentioned ... I've selected the two Zeiss Macro primes (50/2 & 100/2) ... and the Nikon 85/1.4AF for low light candid wedding work to isolate the subject.

Terry

Do you know if a 1.4X extender can be used with the 24-70 lens? I have the AFS TC-14E-II that I got for the 200/2 = 280/2.8 ... but it'd be really cool if I could use it to make the 24-70/2.8 a 35-100/4 ... for less packing when doing a road trip wedding.
No, that is exactly what I wanted to do with a 1.7x on a d300 (giving me coverage from 36-180)

jonoslack

I didn't even realize how close the new 24-70 would focus until you mentioned it. OMG! :clap:

I approached primes a little differently from what you mentioned ... I've selected the two Zeiss Macro primes (50/2 & 100/2) ... and the Nikon 85/1.4AF for low light candid wedding work to isolate the subject.
HI Marc
I'ts a pity that it doesn't work with the teleconverters (I even dug out the manual to check).

As for the primes - I'm actually tempted by the 85/1.4, but I can't decide whether to get the Nikon or Zeiss, I really want the two Zeiss macro lenses, but I've got the Nikkor 105 (which is great, and good for our windy flatlands).

Still, I hope you enjoy the 24-70, I think it rather redefines the possibilities of zoom lenses . . . but I'd still like a smaller f4 version for travel.

PeterA

Stuart - what do you think of the D3's ability to hold highlights versus the DMR? I find that the DMR is much better in this regard than my D3.

PeterA

Stuart - what do you think of the D3's ability to hold highlights versus the DMR? I find that the DMR is much better in this regard than my D3.

Stuart Richardson

Peter -- I have not used both in similar situations enough to really say one way or the other. Some of the difference may be exposure related (I tend to use the DMR at -1exp, but I have not applied a correction to the D3 yet), but in any case, I have not really sat down and made a real comparison. Today, I finally got the chance to compare the Nikon and Leica R lenses in a basic comparison (on slide film, so as to be fair), so hopefully I will be able to test the differences between the DMR and the D3 a little more comprehensively after I get done with that comparison.

jonoslack

HI Peter
I've not had the DMR, so I can't comment per se, however I have found that the D3 exposure is very much 'to the right' (much more than any other camera I've had). I guess they have done this to maintain shadow information, but I've found that it's best to set the default exposure metering to -.6; even then I often use negative exposure compensation.

On the other hand - I find that there is a huge amount of detail in the highlights, and with modest exposure you can get a lot back.

PeterA

HI Peter
I've not had the DMR, so I can't comment per se, however I have found that the D3 exposure is very much 'to the right' (much more than any other camera I've had). I guess they have done this to maintain shadow information, but I've found that it's best to set the default exposure metering to -.6; even then I often use negative exposure compensation.

On the other hand - I find that there is a huge amount of detail in the highlights, and with modest exposure you can get a lot back.
Thanks Jono - interesting as I definitely had some issues with exposure on the D3 shooting some landscape snaps on the weekend..I will give your suggestion a go...( I only brought up DMR because I never have highlight issues with it..my Canon 1dsmk11 was prone to blown highlights as well..not as blown as the D3..)

Cheers
Pete

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I don't have a D3, but I have a D300 and they both use Nikon's 3D color matrix II metering. The camera uses focus distance, focal length of lens, info from the CCD, preflash data and AF sensor information and compares it to a database to try to figure out what you are shooting.
I think if you are using one focus point (which is what I am used to doing), instead of 9, 21, or 51 points, you have to be careful of what is under that one focus point because what is under that point is being given more weight in the exposure calculation.
This is just something that I keep in mind.

PeterA

Hi Cindy - i always use spot metering and single focus point - the highlight blooming occurs ( naturally) in high contrast scenes. The spot metering allows me to shoot for highlights or shadows. I have just noticed that the D3 ( like the Canon) has less latitude than the DMR shooting similar scenes. This is anecdotal - I haven't experimented enough with the camera to find a workaround yet. The EV suggestion is worth trying. On the other hand, I have been positively delighted with how well the D3 works with flash - after the Canon 'system' it is a relief to be able to just shoot!

jonoslack

Hi Cindy - i always use spot metering and single focus point - the highlight blooming occurs ( naturally) in high contrast scenes. The spot metering allows me to shoot for highlights or shadows. I have just noticed that the D3 ( like the Canon) has less latitude than the DMR shooting similar scenes. This is anecdotal - I haven't experimented enough with the camera to find a workaround yet. The EV suggestion is worth trying. On the other hand, I have been positively delighted with how well the D3 works with flash - after the Canon 'system' it is a relief to be able to just shoot!
Hi There Peter
A couple of points - first of all, I'm certain that the D3 'over exposes' with relationship to other dSLR cameras. Cindy has a point with respect to the way the metering works, but even if you're using spot metering the same situation exists. It's of benefit in low light PJ type situations where you can almost always recover 'bright' bits, and the exposure means less noise in the shadow areas. But it isn't ideal for Nature.

If you go to the pencil menu, b6; fine tune optimal exposure, then you can dial in a value for each exposure type (I have 4/6 dialled in).

Secondly - like you, I've never used anything but spot metering . . . . but the matrix metering on the D3 is almost uncanny, and combined with the auto-iso features and this b6 fine tuning, I'm shooting very high contrast scenes, and I can count on the camera to get the exposure consistently right (actually, small white flower against hedge may need a little exposure compensation, but I've learned quickly where it'll be required).

So, my gut reaction is that your highlight blooming is NOT because the camera is inherently prone to blown highlights (I really think it isn't) but because it has a built in tendency for a higher exposure than other cameras (I can only assume that it's to keep detail in the shadows).

jonoslack

Here is an example of one I missed
I focused on the centre of the flower, and took the picture with no exposure compensation on matrix metering.

Here is the result 'out of the camera'

With any other camera I've used I would have assumed that yellow to be lost. This is with a 1.5 stop exposure reduction in Aperture:

fotografz

Perhaps the difference between 12/14 bit and 16 bit?

I noticed on the D300 that you have a choice of 12 bit or 14 bit ... and the camera was set to a 12 bit default. I have to check the D3 to see if that's the same case.

jonoslack

Perhaps the difference between 12/14 bit and 16 bit?

I noticed on the D300 that you have a choice of 12 bit or 14 bit ... and the camera was set to a 12 bit default. I have to check the D3 to see if that's the same case.
HI Marc
It is - set to 12 bit. You could be right. (although, to be honest, I haven't seen much of a difference).

fotografz

HI Marc
It is - set to 12 bit. You could be right. (although, to be honest, I haven't seen much of a difference).
It may help in the conditions that Peter is referencing. 14 bit is a ton more data than 12 bit ... and I have noticed that it made a difference with the Canon MKIIIs in certain situations.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Agreed with Marc. In high contrast situations the 14 bit really gives you extra information to use in the highlights. Under good light, you probably won't notice any real difference.

The D3 handles the 14 bit at normal speed. However, a D300 really slows down when you change from 12 bit up to 14 bit. On a D300 shooting action, stay at 12 bit.

Best,

Ray