The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Live View Rocks!

V

Vivek

Aphids ~4X

Zeiss Luminar 63mm f/3.5

Aphids ~7X

Zeiss Luminar 40mm f/4.5

Bit of a bleeding heart ~6X

Zeiss Luminar 40/4.5

D300 on a tripod, Lenses were mounted using a custom focus mount. Ring (i-TTL) flash. BTW, all images were captured as jpg fine large, processed and resized in PS.

My way to say that I am IMPRESSED:D

Stuart Richardson

I really like it too. Those are some very impressive photos Vivek. Have you tried it with an autofocus lens? I have found that the contrast dectect autofocus is really superb. Does the D300 do that too, or is it just the D3? It is very cool because it works very accurately, and on any point on the screen, not just within the AF points.

robmac

Like many folks I thought it a useless option when I first heard of it - until I tested it for macro work. I find the Canon switchology to engage it better, but it does indeed rock for MF work where you can take your time.

V

Vivek

Guy, Rob- yes. Rob, if you have any samples to share feel free. Guy's cockpit shots may be his bread and butter.

Stuart, Thanks. It is an impressive camera. I am just exploring some of the options. The liveview for macros at >1X is really helpful. These are only the Zeiss Luminars and not the Macro Nikkors (which are a magnitude above in terms of image clarity)!:bugeyes:

Autofocus, I have few specific applications in mind for AF with liveview. Haven't done much with it yet. Yes, the contrast detection works quite well (no images to show now) and impressively so. If it works for the Sigma 30/1.4, it is awesome indeed!:) :thumbup:

BTW, Stuart, I look forward to more and more of your work with your new D3.
Always a pleasure.:)

jonoslack

It's great isn't it. I must say, I miss the flip out and twist LCD that the E3 has - so good on a tripod (mind you, otherwise the E3 implementation is less good as it doesn't have contrast detect focusing).

V

Vivek

Absolutely agree with that flip-up screen, Jono!

I have tried the Zigview earlier and it is crap. Too slow and really poor image quality.

What a shame it is a fixed one! I am looking into a portable external, lightweight screen/monitor for field macros. 5-7" should do it for me.

If anyone has any experience/suggestions on that, I would very much appreciate it. Anything with OLEDs?!

jonoslack

Absolutely agree with that flip-up screen, Jono!

I have tried the Zigview earlier and it is crap. Too slow and really poor image quality.

What a shame it is a fixed one! I am looking into a portable external, lightweight screen/monitor for field macros. 5-7" should do it for me.

If anyone has any experience/suggestions on that, I would very much appreciate it. Anything with OLEDs?!
In my experience none of those things really cut it . . .maybe the D3x will have a flip out LCD?