The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D3 & travel

harmsr

Workshop Member
This is something that I would never have considered before, but am having some second thoughts.

I'm going to the San Juan trip in about week, and was planning to take the M8 kit. I was going to take the M8 with 21/2.8 ASPH, 28/2.0 ASPH, 35/2.0 ASPH, 50/1.4 ASPH, & 90/2.8 plus flash and all the normal accessories of cards, chargers, etc... Leica even loaned me the 24/2.8 ASPH to try for a few weeks as I'm considering consolidating to it and selling the 21 & 28.

For a personal travel & enjoyment trip, I would normally take the M8 with 3 lenses.

My issue is that the M8 is basically a 640 ISO camera. (1250 in B&W) I can handhold the M8 for about a stop or so better than a big DSLR and most of the lenses are a stop better than my 24-70/2.8 zoom. Let's say that this translates very roughly into the usability of the Nikon at about 2000 ISO.

For "street" use, I think the M8 is definitely less intrusive. For speed of use, the D3 wins. For more evening scenic shots, I think the D3 wins.

I'm struggling here because, I'm thinking about leaving the M8 and taking the D3 in a very simple kit. This could be the D3, 24-70/2.8, 100/2.8 Macro, TC17EII extender for use on the 100, plus the SB800 flash.

The Nikon system in total weight is about the same as the M8 kit. The Nikon does have higher ISO capability, a MUCH better flash system, and more flexability. I can use the 100 for both portrait work and macro. It could also double for reach with the extender, getting out to a 170/4.5. I normally use two 8GB UDMA 300x cards in the Nikon, so shooting time is extended and the batteries last a very long time.

The M8 would be hanging on me with a small shoulder bag that has the extra lenses and flash. The D3 would be hanging on me with an even smaller bag holding the flash, 100, and extender.

For "street" & "scenic" shooting, in Puerto Rico I don't know which to take.

Any thoughts???

Many of you guys also own both systems, I would be interested to know how you would choose and why?

Best,

Ray

To be honest: the M8 has not seen a lot of system use since I got the D3. On the other hand, It has gotten quite a bit of personal use as my fun camera when going out with just it and the 35 Cron ASPH. ( So has my M7 with 50 Lux ASPH using Acros 100 & the new TMax 400 )

jonoslack

HI Ray
I feel your pain . . . but I have no sympathy, because I'm not going to San Juan. Spring is nice in England, but it isn't THAT nice!

Me? As you know, I have the same kit (give or take a lens or so).

I'd take the small D3 kit (definitely) with the 24-70 and 105.
and I'd take a Leica body with two lenses - for me it'd probably be the zeiss 25 and 50 f1.5 . . . or the 35 and 75 'crons. whatever. Forget the flash.

There are some moments when the D3 sends the natives scurrying for cover (I witnessed this at a dinner party the other night - all the guests were hiding under the table).

I'd guess the leica with two lenses weights about the same as the Nikon 70-200 :)

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I'm having similiar thoughts for a trip up to Nantucket for a week in July. I will probably bring two systems:

1) M8 with WATE, 35 cron ASPH, 50 cron and 90 Elmarit (maybe 135 or 24)

2) D3 with ZF 25, ZF 28, ZF 35, ZF 50 Makro and ZF 85 (Maybe 14-24 or 24-70)

Both of these combos should fit nicely in small shoulder bags (Crumpler 5 Mil for M and 7 Mil for Nikon). I'd use one or the other on a given day, not both. I'll put both shoulder bags in a rolling lighting case for travel, along with a Gitzo GT1550T traveller.

My only shortcoming in this is I have nothing longer than the 90 on the M8 (unless I bring the 135). So, maybe a tele for the Nikon. The 100 Macro plus extender is not a bad option and I may consider it. I don't need anything wider than 25 on the D3 (FX) becuase I also have the WATE for the M8, which satisfies my wide cravings. The 24-70 is a great all-arounder, but I am still such a primate and love my fixed focals. I still have a few weeks to decide/torture myself.

For your needs and having been to San Juan, you shouldn't leave the M8 behind. There might be times you want the light weight and small size of the M system, expecially considering the heat. Maybe consolodate the M system to just the 28 cron (makes sense with the extra stop over the 24/21), 35 (my favorite FL), 50 lux for low light, and 90 (second favorite FL). Leave the flash. Just a light kit for out and about.

Then, stick to your D3 plan as you have it. Do what I do and pick one system to shoot that day. Leave the other behind. By using two seperate bags you won't have the bulk of too much gear. If you do this, you'll see how liberating your trip can be.

Good luck.

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My plan in San Juan is the MF system for early morning and late evening setup shooting, rainforest and special event. But the M for the day time walk around street shooting. And for evening dinner hour stuff M8 and 50 1.4 pre asph. Two separate bags like David mentioned.

jonoslack

My plan in San Juan is the MF system for early morning and late evening setup shooting, rainforest and special event. But the M for the day time walk around street shooting. And for evening dinner hour stuff M8 and 50 1.4 pre asph. Two separate bags like David mentioned.
My Plan for San Juan is to sit in the UK and sulk:mad:

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono - You could always come along.:angel:

David & Jono - You guys made me think. I really don't want to carry two different bags and complete systems along. I am trying to do this as I would on a true vacation, which probably would have meant the M8. However this is more for photo ops, but I still want to travel light.

Well, I have partially made up my mind.

Two possibilities for the really light & fun camera times. One is to bring my iiif with the modern 50 Cron in LTM and Acros 100/TMax 400 for my rangefinder & film fetish. The other is to bring the M8 with just the 35 Cron ASPH, as that is my favorite one lens focal length on the M8. I really enjoy a true 50 MM focal length.

After shooting a bunch of stuff this weekend, the D3 file quality at anything above 320 ISO is just so much better than the M8. It has won out for the more system camera which is going.

The D3 is going to go with the 100 Macro, 1.7 Extender, & SB800 Flash. (These are for sure.)

Now the harder choice (You are guilty of this confusion David.;)) Will I bring the 24-70/2.8 or take two Zeiss primes (28/2 & 50/2)? The weight is about the same between the zoom or the two prime combo. Zeiss primes give me a slight edge in IQ and an extra stop for speed or shallow DOF effect. They also are much less intimidating on the camera vs. that huge gun of the zoom. 28 & 50 would cover me just as well as the 24-70 for how I shoot. The only real trade-off would be the great auto-focus of the Nikon, but it also if very easy to manual focus in the wide to normal focal lengths.

I'm leaning towards taking the three primes. ZF 28, ZF 50, Nikon 105.

Thoughts again?

Best,

Ray

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I'm having similiar thoughts for a trip up to Nantucket for a week in July. I will probably bring two systems:

1) M8 with WATE, 35 cron ASPH, 50 cron and 90 Elmarit (maybe 135 or 24)

2) D3 with ZF 25, ZF 28, ZF 35, ZF 50 Makro and ZF 85 (Maybe 14-24 or 24-70)

Both of these combos should fit nicely in small shoulder bags (Crumpler 5 Mil for M and 7 Mil for Nikon). I'd use one or the other on a given day, not both. I'll put both shoulder bags in a rolling lighting case for travel, along with a Gitzo GT1550T traveller.

My only shortcoming in this is I have nothing longer than the 90 on the M8 (unless I bring the 135). So, maybe a tele for the Nikon. The 100 Macro plus extender is not a bad option and I may consider it. I don't need anything wider than 25 on the D3 (FX) becuase I also have the WATE for the M8, which satisfies my wide cravings. The 24-70 is a great all-arounder, but I am still such a primate and love my fixed focals. I still have a few weeks to decide/torture myself.

For your needs and having been to San Juan, you shouldn't leave the M8 behind. There might be times you want the light weight and small size of the M system, expecially considering the heat. Maybe consolodate the M system to just the 28 cron (makes sense with the extra stop over the 24/21), 35 (my favorite FL), 50 lux for low light, and 90 (second favorite FL). Leave the flash. Just a light kit for out and about.

Then, stick to your D3 plan as you have it. Do what I do and pick one system to shoot that day. Leave the other behind. By using two seperate bags you won't have the bulk of too much gear. If you do this, you'll see how liberating your trip can be.

Good luck.

David
David My family has vacationed on Nantucket since the early 80s . Nantucket has basically two major areas to photograph ..the town/dock area and the beaches. There is quite a lot of wealth on Nantucket in the summer ....and most families are from the east coast boston or new york . They don t like being photographed so traditional street photography is more difficult. Walking around town and the dock area there are endless things to shoot and it will not matter much wether you use the M8 or the D3 .. they will both be great. If you can rent a 4 wheel drive with a beach access pass you can get to some great spots ..out there the D3 would be my choice and the reach is helpful. I am sure you will take both but you can do a great job with either system.

jonoslack

Jono - You could always come along.:angel:
Ray!
THANK YOU!!!

If you can arrange the flight from Stansted (it's easier from home). I'll pay for the travel to the airport and the parking if you can pick up the tab for the rest.

It's SUCH a kind offer.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Roger,

We'll be staying in a house near Tom Nevers Beach, which is on the SE end of the island. I was already considering renting a scooter, but the 4WD makes a great deal of sense. I'm game for any shooting spots or tips for my trip. My wife almost killed me yesterday when I told her I was considering 3 systems: M8, D3 and 645ZD. So, I told her I'd try to be reasonable and only bring two. ;) Guy is making it very hard to keep my word (and my luggage under control) with his AZ shots.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Ray,

I like the idea of the ZF primes, but am swayed as well with the AF ease. I never seem to have a problem with manual focus, though. The D3 viewfinder is nice and big, focus confirmation works at any of the 51 AF points and live view at 100% is great for tripod-mounted landscapes (better than AF, actually). Personally, I would opt for the M8 with a 35 f/2 ASPH and 90 Elmarit over the IIIg/50 and film combo. When you take into account the volume film occupies and the magnificient quality from the M8 I'd leave the film camera behind. Although, I might be tempted to bring my Hassy 503cx and a 50mm with E100G. Ah.... decisions, decisions.

David

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

San Juan?

You have wonderful bluebells blooming and the best weather of the year approaching.
The Lake District, Snowdonia, Cotswolds, Bristol or Cumbria offer much more varied
light and shooting opportunities at the present time.

Take a bus or train and make the rest of us somewhat jealous at your opportunities within the Kingdom...as you usually do.

Sand, salt and large flying roaches do not compare to the variegated venues within driving distance for you. D3 and northern atlantic light is hard to beat....

You really need to talk Guy and Jack into a major photo Pub crawl in Autumn, it could be fun.

Regards,

Bob Moore

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jono,

San Juan?

You have wonderful bluebells blooming and the best weather of the year approaching.
The Lake District, Snowdonia, Cotswolds, Bristol or Cumbria offer much more varied

Take a bus or train and make the rest of us somewhat jealous at your opportunities within the Kingdom...as you usually do.

Sand, salt and large flying roaches do not compare to the variegated venues within driving distance for you. D3 and northern atlantic light is hard to beat....

You really need to talk Guy and Jack into a major photo Pub crawl in Autumn, it could be fun.

Regards,

Bob Moore
Guy,
This proposal begs for great high ISO performance.
Bring the Nikon and carry a bic lighter for fill.
-bob

jonoslack

Jono,

San Juan?

Regards,

Bob Moore
Hi Bob
Well, my tongue might have been a little in my cheek - but I wouldn't mind a bit of sun (actually, it seems to have come out today).
Cornwall and East Anglia are my normal stamping grounds, but I take your point!
:)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger,

We'll be staying in a house near Tom Nevers Beach, which is on the SE end of the island. I was already considering renting a scooter, but the 4WD makes a great deal of sense. I'm game for any shooting spots or tips for my trip. My wife almost killed me yesterday when I told her I was considering 3 systems: M8, D3 and 645ZD. So, I told her I'd try to be reasonable and only bring two. ;) Guy is making it very hard to keep my word (and my luggage under control) with his AZ shots.

David
Tom Nevers beach is out of walking distance ..except to the beach ..you need a 4 wheel drive as there are several areas that you can drive on the beach. The guys to rent from are Windmill Car Rental...I will find there card when I get back to Atlanta. Regarding the systems to take..this will be a very difficult decision. The M8 shines in town and there are seascape and town shots everywhere. Since you are with your family they will be your primary people subjects. You do the whole trip just with MF as well ..you will not be shooting much that is fast moving..other than your daughter. I will look for a few pictures and post them. The other thing to know is the right fishing boat ...they pull in Blue Fish as fast as you can bait the hook.