The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 135mm f/2.0D AF DC Lens

otumay

Yes, I do use this lens occasionally. Although it is primarily designed for portrait use, I get very good results in urban shots as well. This is mainly due to the defocusing capability of the lens, I suppose. I have yet to test it in a full frame yet, so I am not sure about its performance in edges and corners.
Best,
Osman

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I was looking for this lens as well. Ken Rockwell ..not a site I would normally recommend ...includes this lens on his 10 best Nikkor lenses. Pretty good general description. Then if you go to the Nikon Cafe site and search for the lens you will find plenty of examples.

There is also a similar 105/2 DC that is said to handle better being smaller and lighter. I always look at the filter size and length to get a feel for comparable.

Also keep in mind that Nikon should be replacing the 85 1.4 AF with a newer Nano coated version within the next 12 months .

Final point on the 135Dc is that they are out of stock everywhere and used ones go for the new price $1300-1400.

D&A

LOL...You mean the 135mm DC I sold a few months ago at approx. half that price (here on Getdpi) was too cheap? Hey, how do I apply for a refund :)

Seriously though, these lenses are both unique but often somewhat fustrating for some users. As a stand alone 105 or 135mm (without using the DC function), they are generally superb as portrait lenses, warm and inviting, sharp and actually fall more into the Zeiss/Leica catagory in that they have character in the way they "draw". Before the days of being able to digitally post process, the DC lenses were much prefered to the Nikon 85mm f1.4 for portrait work.

Here is the somewhat fustrating part for new uers of these lenses. The DC control introduces spherical aberation "SA" (along of course with shifting the focus point). When using MF, most of these aquire the sharpest shot when DC is set to "0". When using AF though, many samples (set at Nikon) actually achieve sharpest image when the DC control is set to "F(front) 2". It also depends if one focuses first, locks in focus and then turns DC seting...OR focuses, turns DC ring and then re-focuses. Results in these two cases are quite different since once SA is introduced, the focus point shifts. With the ability to adjust Af in many DSLR bodies, some set the DC control to "0" and then with using Af, adjust their DSLR to get shapest image when DC control is set to "0" (requires quite a bit of correction).

I also have a quite rare and wonderful much older Tamrom 70-150 f2.8 MF regular/Soft focus zoom, a lens few have ever seen or heard of and the literature that came with it, acutally did a better job explaining the workings of a lens that introduces SA for the purpose of defocus control, than even the Nikon literature...and that lens predated the DC lenses...although they are slightly different in concept.

It takes time to master and utilize the DC control but of course with digital, instant feedback is possible. Many though just use the lens at it's best (sharpest) setting as a fast excellent lens. Again keep in mind, the eye through the viewfinder doesn't see small amount of SA being introduced by this lens, and therefore when comparing MF vs. Af, will often get different results as explained above.

Dave (D&A)

J

JohnA_BatonRouge

This is a superb 135mm lens. I use it all the time for portraits. The bokeh is up there with the best of the best. To see what the lens can really do on young, Tiwanese girls, go to PBASE, search for PABLO LEE, then PORTRAITS... Select the shots of NINA.
John A.

Snajczuk

Thank you for your feedback. I recently went back to Nikon after selling the M9. I have been looking for a portrait lens and discovered the 135. I searched everywhere for the lens and told the 105 is the only option going forward...Although B&H states “Temporarily Unavailable.” So, I purchased the 85mm Zeiss and so far getting great results. If anyone has pics from their Nikon DC and willing to share, I would appreciate. You can PM if you prefer not to post.

U

uunique18

Yes I also use Nikon 135mm f/2.0D AF DC Lens.There are many features of it so i comfortable with it.
The main features of Nikon 135mm f/2.0D AF DC Lens are:
Portrait lens with Nikon's exclusive Defocus Control.
Change the appearance of out of focus elements (circles of confusion) so that they appear larger or smaller
Rear focusing for fast AF operation
Large maximum aperture for shooting in low light.