The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new "AI-S" pancake + nokton

Lars

...Also, cameraquest.com noted:
"Alas, the long rumored Voigtlander SL II 4-10,000/f.7 SuperSizedNoctNoct lens is not yet ready for the marketplace. Unconfirmed reports say the megalens was blown over by high winds, unfortunately destroying Nagano's 1998 Winter Olympic Stadium."

:D

woodyspedden

Hey Steen

I bought a copy of the 40 2.0 asph and am very happy with it. Only problem is in low light it is very difficult to focus with the standard Nikon screen on the D300. In decent light I have had no problems. The size and weight of the D300 package with this little beauty of a lens is very delightful for long walkabouts.

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

The D300 screen is better than the D200 was for focusing, but you could always improve it even further with a brightscreen or katzeye screen.

I have also found the D300 "rangefinder" focus light on the D300 much more accurate than on the D200. If you always go from close to far on the focus when using manual lenses on this body, you will nail the focus when the focus light just goes solid.

Best,

Ray

woodyspedden

Thanks a lot Ray.

You know I almost forgot about the focus light but with your reminder I will really start using it. Certainly better than goofing around with screens because some of the screens like the Brightscreen for my old 1DsMkII goofed up exposure of the microlenses in the large 13mm center circle. I think the standard screen and reliance on the green focus indicator will get it done.

Best

Woody

S

Sean_Reid

Woody,

The D300 screen is better than the D200 was for focusing, but you could always improve it even further with a brightscreen or katzeye screen.

I have also found the D300 "rangefinder" focus light on the D300 much more accurate than on the D200. If you always go from close to far on the focus when using manual lenses on this body, you will nail the focus when the focus light just goes solid.

Best,

Ray

That's very interesting because the "RF" light on the D200 definitely was approximate. I have a whole bunch of lenses I want to test when a D3 finally gets to me.

Cheers,

Sean

harmsr

Workshop Member
Sean,

It still is an approximate to a point in that it will stay lit for a an extra degree or two of turn. However, I find that it truly is correct if you use the point when it just becomes solid green going from close to far focus.

I was initially concerned that I would need to change the screen in my D300 like I did in the D200. However, the D300 screen and focus system is better. This lets me focus even wide open and fairly close with the Zeiss ZF 25, 35, & 50. It is not precise enough to nail focus wide open with the 85 1.4 ZF.

I also have the 50 2.0 Macro ZF and the Nikon 100 2.8 Macro VR. The new live view feature for still product photography is really amazing. It is like using ground glass that you magnify. You get to see DOF at working aperture on a bright screen that you magnify to any specific area you want for perfect focus and DOF.

Best,

Ray

S

Sean_Reid

Nice... I really liked the D200 and look forward to testing the D3 and the D300. Either the D300 or the E3 may be my wife's next camera for professional work.

Cheers,

Sean

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Sean, hello

As well, the focus confirmation light requires that the AF system be accurate—it appears not to be on my D300 (see first thread). If not, the FC light will be out, too. On my D300, FC light comes on and the image in the finder is clearly OOF.

On my D300, MF is accurate but difficult to achieve with the standard finder.

Woody, not sure if it was this thread, but you mentioned that your Brightscreen messed up exposure. Neither of mine did, but if they had, I would have just dialed in an exp. comp., and relied on the LCD for adjustments from that new point. Just a thought.

More testing today.

gromitspapa

So, what is the allure of these two lenses? What do you get that's not there with the 50mm Nikkor 1.4, for example? I tried the Zeiss 85mm 1.4, but even with the Katz Eye focusing screen, wasn't getting enough keepers.

woodyspedden

Sean, hello

As well, the focus confirmation light requires that the AF system be accurate—it appears not to be on my D300 (see first thread). If not, the FC light will be out, too. On my D300, FC light comes on and the image in the finder is clearly OOF.

On my D300, MF is accurate but difficult to achieve with the standard finder.

Woody, not sure if it was this thread, but you mentioned that your Brightscreen messed up exposure. Neither of mine did, but if they had, I would have just dialed in an exp. comp., and relied on the LCD for adjustments from that new point. Just a thought.

More testing today.
Kit

I don't know which of Jim's screens you had but mine was the one with the 13mm circle which of course consumes a lot of area on the screen and thus to the metering size (spot vs center weight vs matrix all use different areas of the screen.) Another issue is that it is somewhat aperture dependent.

I learned to use it successfully but it was not as simple as "dialling in" an EV compensation.

Thanks for the advice. Nice to see you hear and be back in touch.

Woody

woodyspedden

I think the allure is size and weight primarily. The little pancake returns excellent results and it is so small that you have to see it and feel it to really get to know it. Also the focusing action is one of the smoothest I have found. Every bit as good as most of the Leica M's.

Woody