The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro - help needed....

woodyspedden

Terry

One final thought.

If you have serious inclination to buy a D3 at some point that should also influence your choice. Although the 60mm is 90 effective on the D300 it will go back to 60mm on the D3. I find that allows too little working distance for my macro shooting style. So I bought the new 105 VR II and absolutely love it. If I need more working distance i put the 105 on my D300 where it becomes an effective 150mm. Lots of versatility with this lens and the two bodies.

Woody

jonoslack

My issue with the AF and the 105 is it hunted a lot with the wind. Now i did not try continuous focus and Jono may have a point there on that function. But to be honest I have 0 patience for hunting. 9 times out of 10 i switched to manual. But that's me
I don't believe this . . . neither of you have tried continuous focus with moving objects for macro . . . . . :wtf:

I'm gobsmacked.

I thought that was the whole advantage of dSLR macro these days!

Incidentally, I just tried single focus with the 105, and I agree, you get a focus, try again and the damn thing zooms off to infinity and back . . . not with continuous though :)

fotografz

I don't believe this . . . neither of you have tried continuous focus with moving objects for macro . . . . . :wtf:

I'm gobsmacked.

I thought that was the whole advantage of dSLR macro these days!

Incidentally, I just tried single focus with the 105, and I agree, you get a focus, try again and the damn thing zooms off to infinity and back . . . not with continuous though :)
Hey, you learn something every day ... if you hang around long enough and keep an open mind.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Terry

One final thought.

If you have serious inclination to buy a D3 at some point that should also influence your choice. Although the 60mm is 90 effective on the D300 it will go back to 60mm on the D3. I find that allows too little working distance for my macro shooting style. So I bought the new 105 VR II and absolutely love it. If I need more working distance i put the 105 on my D300 where it becomes an effective 150mm. Lots of versatility with this lens and the two bodies.

Woody
This is why I am selling my 60mm since I opted to go all FX with my Nikon kit.

Also, since Jack mentioned it, a really flexible option is a bellows kit and appropriate lens, which might include something live a reversed 50. That way you also get a bit of swing action going.

So, Terry, your two options have turned into many:shocked:

-bob