The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D3 with Hassy 50 2.8 FE Distagon

David K

Workshop Member
Finally got the Hasselblad to Nikon adapter I've been waiting for and took a quick test shot in the backyard. This is wide open, aperture priority, manual focus (aided by the Nikon magnifier). Looks pretty darn good to me but I probably should compare it to the 24-70 zoom at 50mm.

David K

Workshop Member
and the crop... BTW, no post on these whatsoever. I'll post some additional shots with the 110 2.0 FE and the 350 5.6 CFE SA when I get a chance.

Stuart Richardson

It is an interesting effect with the bokeh...I wonder if it is different than with full-frame 6x6, because I have never noticed that particular effect with the lens. In any case, I am not sure the lens will be much sharper than the 24-70, but it is very heavy and large. I think the 110/2 would probably be a better candidate to use with the adapter.

David K

Workshop Member
Stuart,

I agree that this lens is not a good candidate for use with the D3, it's just that I had it handy. I bought it primarily for use with the 350 5.6 SA and secondarily for the 110 2.0 FE. I don't shoot much long glass these days but felt it would be nice to have the reach of the 350 without the expense of buying a Nikon telephoto lens. Here's one taken with the 350 this evening. I'll take one with the 110 FE tomorrow and post that one too, but it's not likely I'll use it frequently with the D3. The good news is that the adapter works well.

David K

Workshop Member
The 350 5.6 SA is all that and a bag of chips. Obviously it does it's best with a MFDB (or film) but it serves a purpose for me with the D3 too. Also does remarkably well with the 1.4x mutar but you do need a lot of light when you're using it. Down here in Florida that's not much of a problem.

PeterA

I just LOVE the enthusiasm that peopel on this site have for photography and equipment..keep it up!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
David, thanks for posting these. I find that the colors are especially interesting. Might be a nice way to mess around with and back my way into a few MF lenses should I end up wanting to go MF in the future. Are you using the magnifier on the D3? Thoughts?

Kurt

robmac

The 350 looks stellar. I use the 110/2 on my 1Ds2 and love it. Trying to decide between a 180/4 F or the Mamiya 200/2.8 APO as a next step up the FL.

I want to stay with alt glass I can use on Nikon in future. To keep my options open as it were, I combine a Hassy-Nikon adapter with a chipped Nikon-EOS adapter encoded for "110 mm F2.0" since, unlike the newer bodies, I can't manually set the lens data in-camera with the 1Ds2. The focus confirm, BTW, is spot-on WO which is a plus.

BTW - which Hassy-Nikon adapter did you go with?

David K

Workshop Member
David, thanks for posting these. I find that the colors are especially interesting. Might be a nice way to mess around with and back my way into a few MF lenses should I end up wanting to go MF in the future. Are you using the magnifier on the D3? Thoughts?

Kurt
Kurt, I am using the magnifier on the D3 and it makes a difference. As you know the DOF with the 110 2.0 FE is razor thin wide open (which is where I like to shoot it) so any help I can get in focusing accurately is welcome. Took some shots with that lens yesterday and got hit and miss results. Too soon to say if I'm getting accurate focus with it, but I should know by the end of today and will keep you posted.

woodyspedden

Wound up with the Elefoto adapter. Very well made and not prohibitively expensive (under $300).
David

I got notice today that Adorama has shipped my Novoflex adapters for the D3. I'll evaluate and shoot some 110 Hassy shots with it to see that everything works as planned. This is a highly rated adapter system but over $400 so not for the faint of heart.

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,
That's a two part adapter system if I remember rightly. Let us know how you like it... Novoflex makes top notch stuff. As I mentioned to Kurt, I'd recommend the Nikon magnifier (and rubber eye cup) if you're going to be doing MF with this camera. Pretty cheap compared with the Leica version.

robmac

I second the Nikon magnifier - adapted an older one for use on my 1Ds2. Makes a telling difference in getting good focus WO, though the FC via my Nikon adapter works very well, even at F2 and near MFD.

vieri

Finally got the Hasselblad to Nikon adapter I've been waiting for and took a quick test shot in the backyard. This is wide open, aperture priority, manual focus (aided by the Nikon magnifier). Looks pretty darn good to me but I probably should compare it to the 24-70 zoom at 50mm.
Very sharp indeed David, thank you for sharing! :D Not very flattering for portraits though, look at the dog's skin...! :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Sorry - couldn't resist it! I should try some Hassy glass on my D3, definitely very interesting results, thanks for the inspiration :D

woodyspedden

Woody,
That's a two part adapter system if I remember rightly. Let us know how you like it... Novoflex makes top notch stuff. As I mentioned to Kurt, I'd recommend the Nikon magnifier (and rubber eye cup) if you're going to be doing MF with this camera. Pretty cheap compared with the Leica version.

David

Yes it is a two part adapter and one of the advantages is that one of the two can be used to attach the lenses to a bellows system with the Nikon

I am very excited to begin to use the V lenses on the Nikon.

By the way I am using Jim Lakey's (brightscreen) prototype magnifier with the D3 and find it to work really well. I bought my D3 from Jim and returned it for a removal of the dirt magnet that he installed and he put the magnifier on to see how I liked it. I don't know for sure when he will release to production but I would guess soon. I had used the DK 17 with my D2X and liked it as well.

Woody