The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro thread everyone?

S

S.P.

16-85 DX
24-70
70-300
18-200 DX
Keep the
24-70
70-300

Buy a AF-S12-24/4.0 DX or AF-S14-24/2.8 and the AF-S 105/2.8 VR.

For travel I always use the 12-24/4.0 DX and the AF-D 50/1.4

For one week in Kiew I also took the AF-D 24/2.8 with me to have a small camera/lens-combination with the D200.

http://view.stern.de/v2/series/37726/all

In December 2007/ January 2008 when I travelled asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia) I took the standard combination plus a 35/2.0 and the AF-S 105/2.8 VR and the D300.

(No pictures online).

jonoslack

Hi Stefan
excellent advice . . . . although, maybe I'd swap the D300 for a D3 .:ROTFL:

Right - there's this onion - it's been seducing me, but it's a confusion for other people. I know it's in bad taste to anthropomorphise bugs, but just for once I'm going to do it:

"I'm lost"

"I'm not (guzzle guzzle, mumble mumble)"

"Ouch! it got me"

S

S.P.

Jono,

those are also great pictures!

The D3 is really great, but for travel and reportage I would wait for the smaller Nikon FX which will be coming.

I like the D3 very much on assignments, but for private travels it´s to big and heavy for me (I´m spoiled because I travelled with Leica M in analogue days).

deepdiver

Hi guys!
I woke up this morning, and I walked to the back of my house. I found some mushrooms!!!
Yeahhhhhhh!!
I only had abot 5 minutes to play with it (cuz i need to prepare to go to the office >_<)
This time I want to do "Macro wide angle" with my Zeiss 25/2.8. I dont want to use ZF 50/2 macro or ZF 100/2 Macro...
This lens has minimum focusing of 2 cm.
It's really hard to take a picture of it.
I dont want to lay down on the wet grass, so i decided to use live view on Nikon D3
I tried my best for the framing and focusing
and here is what I got
Nikon D3 + ZF 25/2.8 @F11 (without tripod >_<) Live view mode on

CROP 100%

It's Fun to play around with ZF 25/2.8 (macro mode) :)
I should try it again next time, and hopefully I can get a better results :D

Andree

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Heelp, now I want that lens too :D
The Distagon T* 2.8/25 ZF has a MOD (minimum object distance) of only 6 cm from the front element, according to the datasheet at zeiss.com
It's almost a wide-angle macro ...

jonoslack

Dammit, Doomed
This was actually my 'next in line' lens anyway - basically to make up a 'light':ROTFL: kit with the D3:
D3
100 nikkor
58 1.4 v
25 2.8 zeiss
but I didn't realise how close it focused.

and I'm already a wide angle macro devotee . .

Robert White - here I come :-(

deepdiver

Steen : The MOD of zeiss 25/2.8 is not 6 cm. It's 2 cm...!! yes 2 cm hahahha super close :D
It's a wide-angle macro Lens :D :D

Jono : hahaaha I'm sure that u won't regret buying this lens :p

Andree

jonoslack

Steen : The MOD of zeiss 25/2.8 is not 6 cm. It's 2 cm...!! yes 2 cm hahahha super close :D
It's a wide-angle macro Lens :D :D

Jono : hahaaha I'm sure that u won't regret buying this lens :p

Andree
Damn you Andree:p
The Deed is Done, and Robert White are richer. Should be with me tomorrow.

Actually, I had been teetering on the brink anyway, so that just pushed me over the edge.:thumbup:

jonoslack

Jono and Andree, take a look at this thread, especially post # 6, Andree maybe you are right after all, that the 2.8/25 will focus down to about 2"
but at zeiss.com they say 6 cm for some reason ??
Hmm - well, 2" is 5.1cm, so, different, but not THAT different
2cm is something different again!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Congrats Jono !
Look at that wonderful out of focus rendering at f/11 in the first shot in Andree's above post.
And also look at the out of focus rendering as well in the first picture in this thread (with Andree's D50 shots)
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30648#post30648
So wild and beautiful.
As Kit referred Lloyd Chambers, describing the ZF 25 as a lens with personality.
I must say.

jonoslack

First hit with the Zeiss 25 f2.8
Well, it certainly seems to focus down to about 2cm

It's really drab and dark here, but here is a first go with it:
D3 f8 450 ISO 1/250th very very close!

Cropped slightly
Both the flower and the bee were moving, hence I really couldn't 'get it' with the dof of a wider aperture.

I can see why they don't call it a macro lens though - there is a strong curvature of field - especially wide open (beware the brick wall test - it looks pretty bad!), I'm finding it quite easy to focus though.

I might start a new thread on it when I've had some more time to play.

etrigan63

Quickie macro test last night with 36mm tube on my CV 58mm SL II. Man does that shorten the distance!

Much larger than life on my Huey Pro calibrator:

Speaking end of my Razer mouse:

I will go outside today and get some proper macros. I may only use the 12mm tube though.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono, I just can't believe that bug shot was taken with a 25mm wide angle lens :shocked: Amazing.
Looks promising !

Congrats, Carlos, with the Kenko extension tube set, I might as well go for a set at some point. Looking forward to see more samples.

Stuart Richardson

Actually, I have never seen one used, but the very high magnification macro lenses for the R system are in these very short focal lengths. There is a 25mm Photar, a 12.5mm f/2.4, and maybe another. They are not 1:1 macros though...more like 18:1