The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro thread everyone?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Beautiful, '77 !
And an interesting mix of B&W and color.
I wouldn't even know how to do that, probably because I don't use Photoshop.
For postprocessing I use RAW converters only, e.g. NX, C1, Bibble and RawTherapee.

Leica 77

Beautiful, '77 !
And an interesting mix of B&W and color.
I wouldn't even know how to do that, probably because I don't use Photoshop.
For postprocessing I use RAW converters only, e.g. NX, C1, Bibble and RawTherapee.
Many thanks, bondo, for your kind comments! Here is a straight full color image of the same flower from a slightly different angle. Thanks again. Leica 77 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh, shoot! I had visions of "Bondo meets tiger--up close and personal!"
Maybe you better start out with birds and small mammals.
... or some salads :D

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AI-S 2.8/28mm • 1/500 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AI-S 2.8/28mm • 1/640 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200

Leica 77

... or some salads :D

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AI-S 2.8/28mm • 1/500 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AI-S 2.8/28mm • 1/640 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200
Hello bondo,
You are pretty smart to choose the salads instead of tigers, leopards, and other mega fauna. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Again very beautiful, '77, lovely colors. Nikon or Fuji ?
Many thanks for your kind comments, bondo! You have asked a right question. I enjoy using several DSLR cameras (Nikon, Fuji, and Olympus/Panasonic). For flower and people shots, I prefer using my Fuji DSLR for the reason you mentioned -- its lovely intrinsic colors. Recently, however, I downloaded the Nikon D2X color modes on to my Nikon D300 through one of the official Nikon websites. Nowadays, I frequently use the D2X "Color Mode I" in my D300. Once again, thanks so much for your positive words of encouragement. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Bondo- good move, salad is on the safe side :D

Leica77- nice to see you around, very subtle shades indeed in the flower shots. Also a great contrast with natural complementary hues :thumbup:

From a former series here's a couple of test shots @f2.8 handheld, with wild beasts -though not as dangerous as Bondo's tigers- in action. Extreme shallow DOP, isn't it ?

In both instances the aimed focus was at the front leg, grabbing the flower :

The first one:

Another flower (same angle):

(sorry for the bad jpeg quality, some computer issues so can't work on larger files for the time being)

The last one here is kind of a performance from the camera standpoint, at real speed the eye can't catch anything else than what appears to be an ultra-fast flapping bee form. In fact it's a butterfly (please click):

Last edited:

Leica 77

Bondo- good move, salad is on the safe side :D

Leica77- nice to see you around, very subtle shades indeed in the flower shots. Also a great contrast with natural complementary hues :thumbup:

From a former series here's a couple of test shots @f2.8 handheld, with wild beasts -though not as dangerous as Bondo's tigers- in action. Extreme shallow DOP, isn't it ?

In both instances the aimed focus was at the front leg, grabbing the flower :

The first one:

Another flower (same angle):

(sorry for the bad jpeg quality, some computer issues so can't work on larger files for the time being)

The last one here is kind of a performance from the camera standpoint, at real speed the eye can't catch anything else than what appears to be an ultra-fast flapping bee form. In fact it's a butterfly (please click):

Hello Corlan F.,

Beautiful color and bokeh in all your wonderful images! Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Those captures are very beautiful, Corlan. At f/2.8 the bokeh is so butter smooth.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh, shoot! I had visions of "Bondo meets tiger--up close and personal!"
Maybe you better start out with birds and small mammals.
OK, no more postponement (I cheated and used a 100mm, just for a start :eek:)

All the above: Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/320 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Not sure this series' macro... :confused: though a great, great little story teller :thumbup:
at least for sure one animal is enough of a "wild beast" for the other one...

Would definitely have its say in the Fun section :)

The cat's look in last two images in a raw (lol) is just priceless -comic strip quality.

Leica 77

OK, no more postponement (I cheated and used a 100mm, just for a start :eek:)

[

All the above: Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/320 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 [/center]
Hello bondo,
I agree with Corlan F. that the expression of the cat is pricessless. Too bad the cat did not have your camera to take an image of your expression at the time the bird flew away! It's excellent that you are still staying away from Tigers, Leopards, lions, etc. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
These are not really macro either, taken with a standard zoom, but I think they fit within the "tradition" of this thread. I saw this lily as I left my father's house to go shopping yesterday. Flowers aren't really my thing, but this one looked too perfect to resist :)

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/8.0

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/5.6

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Real nice lily, Jorgen. You had to take this one. The first, simple one is my favorite -nice PP btw.

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Unlike some pretenders around here, the real wildlife photographer never hesitates to risk a close-up of dangerous beasts in the true essence of their natural habitats.

Offered as a proof, this is from film, years ago with an all-around 35mm -captured on the fly.

Meet the tiger...

:angel:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Corlan.

Impressive tiger photo :thumbs:
How you manage to get the tiger to pose like that before it eats its pray is beyond me :ROTFL:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
well folks, sometimes macro means very small and sometimes it means very big :confused:
at least I did use the right type of lens, a genuine "ZF makro"
next time I'll get closer - if I dare ... :eek:

Corlan, that tiger set up ...
completely irresponsible if you ask me
unless of course the cute kid is a tiger whisperer and knows exactly what she is doing :lecture:

Jorgen, though you don't do flower shots, you do it very well. Beautifull water lily :thumbup:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
back to micro macro .-)

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/400 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
The tiger photo was taken a few years ago walking by our daughter's room in a rented vacation house. Her genuine half-bored expression combined with the contrasting tiger intense interest made it one of our family keeper despite the poor intrinsec photographic/print quality. :)

Bondo, your last butterfly effort is extremely nice. Maybe it would deserve a vertical presentation ? (and also, then, just retouch/erase the mauve flower tip on the right edge (bottom as it is)). Really like this one, and its quite subtle light. A quiet form of beauty.