The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro thread everyone?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I passed this rather nice tree last Sunday, so I thought I'd take a photo of it. But since I don't have one of these fancy new models with a large sensor, just the tiny little one in my D80, I obviously couldn't fit the whole tree onto the photo.

So, I decided to do the second best: take a shot of a part of the tree. Some of it seems to be a bit out of focus, but I think you can recognise the green tree-things in the foreground :)

Oh, and I used the old Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF D. Nice lens, since I have time to eat a sandwich or two while it's focusing. Only micro lenses can make photos small enough for DX sensors of course, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
C'mon Jorgen, pull yourself together and get yourself a Full Frame. And a german Makro instead of that Micro. That ought to do that tree thing :D
If you can wait a few months the old and rather widespread 12.1 Mp FX sensor will definitely drip down into a D90 showing up at Photokina at the latest. You have my word for it, so just start a new rumor thread with confidence.
OK honestly, from what you have shown us lately, from Vietnam etc., all you need is that D80 of yours. Great shots really :thumbup:
/Steen

V

Vivek

Jorgen, Nice curves there. Great eye!

Here is a tiny frog (smaller than 1cm and bees looked bigger!) taken with a D80-IR.

and in visible light

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Steen,
FX in a D80-sized camera, that would be something. I really like the smaller size. Maybe I should start that rumour thread :D Do you think those product developers at Nikon read this forum?

Thanks Vivek. Where do you find those cute, little frogs? The only things I see around here are big, ugly toads. Not photogenic at all. Maybe I have to walk slower :eek:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cindy,
How big is that dragonfly?
Was that taken near the near focus limit of that lens?
thanks
-bob

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Bob,
The Common Whitetail male has a body about 5cm long. I was at the close focus distance of about 7.5 feet for the 80-400 VR. The stick that he is resting on was sticking out of the water, and I was near the edge of the lake. I just cropped to make the frame 4" x 4" instead of 6"x 4".

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Even computers look ancient when they get old and worn. In this case, an NC lathe, captured by the D80 and Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF D.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
a Wang computer - or an Udvang ? :D
doesn't look like a genuine qwerty keyboard :lecture:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's the keypad of a numerically controlled (NC) lathe (not a caffè latte), one of those machines where you insert a square piece of material and get a round piece out. That would be a "dreiebenk" in Norwegian and probably "drejebenk" in Danish, or?

This one is not even very old, but existing in an industrial environment makes it look like it's been around for a while.

Oh, and here's the keypad of a somewhat older version :D

D80 with Tamron 24-135 @ 24mm and f/3.5.

Last edited: