The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D300 First Test

woodyspedden

Having just purchased the new D300 I thought it appropriate to show the results of some quick tests shot from my backyard. I didn't realize that I was shooting these at ISO 800 but the files seem incredible to me at that level. The shots were taken with the 28-70 and 70-200 zooms.

Just for grins I thought it might be fun to take the same shots with the M8 using the 90 cron and the 135 APO/Telyt, two of my favorite lenses.

All shots were developed in Lightroom 1.3 and were all white balanced to the same 6150K level. No sharpening was applied

So enjoy the show

Oh the first image is the 70mm shot with the Nikon 28-70 zoom
Second image is shot with the 90 Cron
Third shot is at 98mm on the 70-200 Nikon zoom
Fourth shot is the 135 APO/Telyt
Fifth shot is 70-200 at 200.

All of the M8 shots were done at ISO 160

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting Woody looks though i am seeing more detail in the M8. Is that what you are noticing. Look at the water and that back barn on the left

woodyspedden

Interesting Woody looks though i am seeing more detail in the M8. Is that what you are noticing. Look at the water and that back barn on the left
Yes I agree with you Guy. However I did no sharpening whatsoever and as you remember from our Canon days, the AA filter causes softness so most images do better with a little sharpening. Plus these were shot at ISO 800 which could also contribute.

The Leicas though are the kings of resolution though, no doubt there.

Best

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes very true without sharpening the Canon and Nikon you are not getting what they can really do and 800 will have some effect too. Keep us posted as you do more testing and shooting. Many folks are interested in this new Nikon.

Also i encourage anyone that has a test or review they want to do to please post. We are a learning and teaching forum and as such it's all good and relative to all our members. If Jack or i can help in anyway please just let us know.

Shooting challenges and such are also welcome. Let's have fun folks:):):):)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Woody,
Did I understand that you also have a D200?
I would be interested in a comparison between the D200 and D300.
thanks
-bob

woodyspedden

Woody,
Did I understand that you also have a D200?
I would be interested in a comparison between the D200 and D300.
thanks
-bob
Hi Bob

No I do not have a D200. I had a D2X but I sold it when the prices were still good on the used market in anticipation of the D300 and D3.f

Best

lWoody

woodyspedden

Yes very true without sharpening the Canon and Nikon you are not getting what they can really do and 800 will have some effect too. Keep us posted as you do more testing and shooting. Many folks are interested in this new Nikon.

Also i encourage anyone that has a test or review they want to do to please post. We are a learning and teaching forum and as such it's all good and relative to all our members. If Jack or i can help in anyway please just let us know.

Shooting challenges and such are also welcome. Let's have fun folks:):):):)
Guy

I will certainly keep everyone posted on results as I get them.I, like Sean Reid will post real world pictures as I have no interest in shooting test charts etc.

I think the file quality from the M8 speaks for itself. As you and I have discussed in the past the files are basically ready to go directly out of the camera whereas the Nikon files need work to get to the same end point. That is one of the reasons (along with size and weight) that I bought into the M8 in the first place. Nothing has changed in that regard.

So I won't be posting any more comparison shots with the M8. Most of us on the forum already own at least one and know what it is capable of doing. I will concentrate on trying to show what the Nikon itself is capable of doing. Perhaps that will be most helpful to those who want to own a DSLR instead of or in addition to a DRF

Best

Woody

robsteve

Subscriber
Woody:

I have a friend that shoots Nikon and has a D200. He will probably be interested in your tests.

This same friend is now retired and in his late seventies. He is a NPS member going back to the 1970's. He just got a letter from Nikon asking for him to confirm his professional status. He told them he was retired and asked if they would still service his cameras. He later learned that in Canada, the D3 will initially be available to NPS members only.

Robert

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

I also have been EXTREMELY impressed with the D300 that I just upgraded to. I also upgraded to the new 24-70/2.8 lens.

The ISO capability of this camera is very impressive and about 1.5 stops better than the M8. Shooting at 160 on the M8 and 200 on the D300 with my Zeiss ZF glass, the fine detail is very close.

The D300 has slightly higher resolution with the extra 2 MP.

You will also find that the new 24-70 is a better lens than the 28-70 which was already good.

I agree completely with your comments about the need for sharpening and the ISO 800 effect. It could also be in your menu settings on the D300. What do you have the picture control settings at?

Another thing to try is do the RAW processing with Nikon Capture NX. It really does process Nikon files better than LightRoom. When I was using the D200, Capture NX also beat Capture One with the Nikon files. I can't try out the Nikon files in Capture One yet, as it still does not recognize them.

Enjoy the D300.

Best,

Ray

woodyspedden

Thanks Ray

I will look into all of these issues and report accordingly. I have no tried to do anything with the Picture settings as i have no experience whatsoever with what these settings do

Woodman
Woody,

I also have been EXTREMELY impressed with the D300 that I just upgraded to. I also upgraded to the new 24-70/2.8 lens.

The ISO capability of this camera is very impressive and about 1.5 stops better than the M8. Shooting at 160 on the M8 and 200 on the D300 with my Zeiss ZF glass, the fine detail is very close.

The D300 has slightly higher resolution with the extra 2 MP.

You will also find that the new 24-70 is a better lens than the 28-70 which was already good.

I agree completely with your comments about the need for sharpening and the ISO 800 effect. It could also be in your menu settings on the D300. What do you have the picture control settings at?

Another thing to try is do the RAW processing with Nikon Capture NX. It really does process Nikon files better than LightRoom. When I was using the D200, Capture NX also beat Capture One with the Nikon files. I can't try out the Nikon files in Capture One yet, as it still does not recognize them.

Enjoy the D300.

Best,

Ray

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Ray

I will look into all of these issues and report accordingly. I have no tried to do anything with the Picture settings as i have no experience whatsoever with what these settings do

Woodman
Woody, I suggest you take a look at Don McVey's spreadsheet over at Nikonians, looks like a very instructive overview of the Custom Settings for the D300. He has earlier made a similar spreadsheet for the predecessor D200, a spreadsheet that has been highly recommended by many Nikon shooters. Unfortunately I didn't know of the spreadsheet when I had the D200, so I haven't tried it out myself in actual use.

The first post in this thread contains the link where you can download the spreadsheet:

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dc...ad&om=26986&forum=DCForumID202&viewmode=all#1

woodyspedden

Thanks Steen

The spreadsheet is very useful. I think one of Nikons great features is having four custom banks so you can move from shooting style to shooting style without addressing a lot of custom menu items.

By the way i am awaiting the arrival of my new 14-24 2.8 zoom. If it is half as good as what I have heard it may become the standard. When I finally get a full frame Nikon body (not sure about the D3.....will probably wait for a D3X or D4 whatever they will call the high rez ff sensor) this will be the lens to own. I have not yet read reviews of the new 24-70 but my 28-70 is a real winner.

Woody