The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the simple eye-dropper WB in Nikon NX?

fotografz

Loaded it yesterday .... arrgh! Yet another unintuitive RAW program to wade through. All I want to do is simple WB. I must have an overload block or something.

neils

Bondo is right but he's circled the white point tool. The tools run black/white/gray l-r. Odd.

Anyway the black and white tools set black and white points, use them with the double threshold scale.

Use the gray point tool and click on an area that is neutral or gray. You can use it on an area that is near white also. It is active on the image so you can move it around and make WB changes in real time. You can also add a second gray point and fine tune the WB.

Most of the time I use the black and white points along with the threshold scale as my starting point if I need a starting point. That way the gray is pretty much done by the black and white points being set. They set color, not just black and white.

Neil

jonoslack

Loaded it yesterday .... arrgh! Yet another unintuitive RAW program to wade through. All I want to do is simple WB. I must have an overload block or something.
Mine stays in the box - I'm just refusing to put a different RAW program into my workflow, If Aperture won't do it, then it won't get done!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Same here Jono it is not a program that I am remotely interested in . Hate it actually. No longer on my box. Having 3 systems is one thing having 3 software programs to process is something I won't do . I want one that does it all and C1 will and so will LR.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Marc,
I think someone else had the problem that some of the tools were not showing. Maybe now that you know where it appears, you can expand the tool set and find it. ;)
Cindy

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
And Marc, you can also make partial adjustments of Warmth by using Color Control Points.
This so-called U-Point Technology is made for and therefore embedded in Capture NX, but it can also be purchased separately as an add-on software for Photoshop and Aperture under the product name "Viveza".

neils

Ya'know I understand not wanting to have yet another RAW program or maybe any other program to learn. NX is fairly alien to many and it just doesn't flow like some of the others but for those of you who swear that no way will they use NX you will never get the full benefit of the Hi ISO of the D3 without it. Maybe not even the full benefit of the D3 period.

CS3 and ACR can't do a D3 file from 3200 and up nearly as well as NX. Maybe even from 1600 and up. I can't speak for Aperture or C1.

That and many of the in camera features you can't make use of which I'm sure your sure you don't need. Until you've tried them....................

You owe it to yourself to try it against your favorite RAW convertor. And give NX a chance, not a week but a chance.

All IMO of course but I've got some prints to prove it.

Neil

fotografz

Ya'know I understand not wanting to have yet another RAW program or maybe any other program to learn. NX is fairly alien to many and it just doesn't flow like some of the others but for those of you who swear that no way will they use NX you will never get the full benefit of the Hi ISO of the D3 without it. Maybe not even the full benefit of the D3 period.

CS3 and ACR can't do a D3 file from 3200 and up nearly as well as NX. Maybe even from 1600 and up. I can't speak for Aperture or C1.

That and many of the in camera features you can't make use of which I'm sure your sure you don't need. Until you've tried them....................

You owe it to yourself to try it against your favorite RAW convertor. And give NX a chance, not a week but a chance.

Neil
That's why I'm trying to learn it Neil. :thumbup:

Now I have C1, Aperture, Lightroom, PSCS3, BibblePro, Leaf Capture, Flexcolor, Phocus, Canon DPP ... and now Nikon NX in my dock.:thumbdown:

The only thing worse is the "bag-of-worms" charging station for all the different batteries and chargers.:banghead:

jonoslack

Neil
Hi Neil
I do see your point here, I also realise that there are great aspects to NX (I have actually used it a while ago). It's nice that the Viveza stuff is now available for aperture as well.

The problem is when one is not really using a RAW 'converter' any longer.
My previous workflow was (I guess) like many still are - I used the converter suitable to the camera (or whatever worked best) converted to tiff, did the modifications I wanted in photoshop and batch saved to at least 5 locations:
1. original RAW file
2. modified original
3. version for printing
4. web sized rgb version
5. thumbnail.

I then used iView or another cataloguing program to manage the different versions - it was even more challenging when one went back and made more modifications to the original later on. The ONLY advantage was that it meant that you could easily use any RAW converter you wanted.

I then spent a year trying out Lightroom and Aperture, and the DAM model seduced me completely.

Nowadays I copy the RAW files to a folder on an external drive, open them in Aperture using the camera default settings (slightly tweaked in some cases) - I can then do everything I like with them - if I need to go in to photoshop it creates a PSD file in the same original location.

Generally speaking I have one program to manage, and one copy of each file. I've got 24,000 files all properly captioned and keyworded, a straightforward backup system, great printing and adequate web galleries which can be made and modified very fast.

I have no problem in learning NX again - but it would mean reverting to my previous workflow or developing some sort of time consuming and complex Kludge.

So, to the contrary - I owe it to myself NOT to compare it against my favorite RAW 'converter'!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...)
Anyway the black and white tools set black and white points, use them with the double threshold scale. (...)
Good point, Neil, maybe useful to illustrate where to find that as well.
So Marc, if you want NX to help you finding a really black black point or a really white white point you can checkmark the double threshold in the lower right corner, like this:

neils

Bondo, thanks for posting the screen shot. I wouldn't have known how.

Marc, your dock sounds like a scary place. NX doesn't have to be scary though and even though I know you have an awful lot of experience I'm gonna suggest a DVD anyway. I got those Vincent Versace DVDs called "Unleashing the Power of NX". I'm not a DVD guy but I learned so much so fast it made NX hugely useful. I learn better by watching and doing than reading and doing and that is why I like them so much.

In nutshell I think the +/- brush up on the top row was the biggest "WOW, that easy to .........
Anything you can change in an image, color temp, color cast/contrast/light/dark/sharp/soft/warm/cold/ etc etc, all those things you make layers for in CS3 is right there. It's as simple as change the image the way you want, and then click + and you paint the change where you want it, click minus and take it away from where you don't. Opacity is adjustable just like CS3 but it is very fast and the whole adjustment can be changed or turned off later if you like.

And if you nail the in camera adjustments, love the look of the jpg (if you shoot one) the NEF may be nearly there as soon as you open it in NX. In ACR the jpg may look just great. Open the NEF file in ACR and start from scratch. I find many NEFs are 80% ready to go. In ACR I'm going to have a lot more work to get to that 80%.

A good case would be those ISO 12,800 shots of the recording session I linked to here awhile ago. They were more than 80% ready to go right out of the camera. Try 12,800 from another RAW convertor and see the hoops you jump through.

So maybe, just maybe the D3 will do alot of the post for you if you open the images in NX. It could save you time in the torturous NX UI.
Neil

fotografz

Bondo, thanks for posting the screen shot. I wouldn't have known how.

Marc, your dock sounds like a scary place. NX doesn't have to be scary though and even though I know you have an awful lot of experience I'm gonna suggest a DVD anyway. I got those Vincent Versace DVDs called "Unleashing the Power of NX". I'm not a DVD guy but I learned so much so fast it made NX hugely useful. I learn better by watching and doing than reading and doing and that is why I like them so much.

In nutshell I think the +/- brush up on the top row was the biggest "WOW, that easy to .........
Anything you can change in an image, color temp, color cast/contrast/light/dark/sharp/soft/warm/cold/ etc etc, all those things you make layers for in CS3 is right there. It's as simple as change the image the way you want, and then click + and you paint the change where you want it, click minus and take it away from where you don't. Opacity is adjustable just like CS3 but it is very fast and the whole adjustment can be changed or turned off later if you like.

And if you nail the in camera adjustments, love the look of the jpg (if you shoot one) the NEF may be nearly there as soon as you open it in NX. In ACR the jpg may look just great. Open the NEF file in ACR and start from scratch. I find many NEFs are 80% ready to go. In ACR I'm going to have a lot more work to get to that 80%.

A good case would be those ISO 12,800 shots of the recording session I linked to here awhile ago. They were more than 80% ready to go right out of the camera. Try 12,800 from another RAW convertor and see the hoops you jump through.

So maybe, just maybe the D3 will do alot of the post for you if you open the images in NX. It could save you time in the torturous NX UI.
Neil
Yep the dock is pretty scarry.

My interest in NX is to pull the best out of select shots as opposed to lots of shots. I do the same with Flexcolor/Phocus for the Hasselblad 3F and Leica DMR files.

But I shoot things like a wedding with multiple cameras and time sync them just before shooting. I then drop ALL the files from all cameras into one folder and sort by time shot. So Lightroom is my main edit and processing engine by converting everything to DNG file format.

However, I am a firm believer in propritary software delivering the most from any given digital camera. So for special shots, or those I intend taking up large, I use them. I suspect that'll be the case with the really high ISO shots from the D3.