The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D3 in Dominican Republic

charlesphoto

I'm thoroughly impressed with this camera, aside from its weight!

Up until this point I haven't really had a chance to work on any images for myself (I only got it right before this work trip to the DR). But I have to say that once the images are "worked" it gives my M8 a run for it's money so to speak.

This image is ISO 200, Nikon 24mm AFD prime ($200 used) at f5.6. It was the middle of the day so the original was very flat. After punching up in LR I did lots of dodging and burning for a more dramatic image. I may try it with C1 as well to see how that goes.

Recently did a head shot for a magazine cover. The one they chose was with the strobe's modeling lamps at ISO 1100. Never thought we'd see that day!

charlesphoto

Another. This one in an early morning truck stop. ISO 1600, 35mm AFD, f4.0.

Very small amount of NR; some dodging and burning in CS.

neils

Yes the D3 changes the rules a bit. Who'd a thought of the modeling lights as THE lights. Now I do too.

Neil

Greg Seitz

I'm thoroughly impressed with this camera, aside from its weight!

Up until this point I haven't really had a chance to work on any images for myself (I only got it right before this work trip to the DR). But I have to say that once the images are "worked" it gives my M8 a run for it's money so to speak.

This image is ISO 200, Nikon 24mm AFD prime ($200 used) at f5.6. It was the middle of the day so the original was very flat. After punching up in LR I did lots of dodging and burning for a more dramatic image. I may try it with C1 as well to see how that goes.

Recently did a head shot for a magazine cover. The one they chose was with the strobe's modeling lamps at ISO 1100. Never thought we'd see that day!
Charles,

That first one is great! Love the colors and textures. Very nice.

Greg

Chris C

...That first one is great! Love the colors and textures....
Charles - I agree, but there again I do enjoy your work. I was thinking of a 24 or 28 prime to use [I'm broke, can't afford Zeiss, want a small prime rather than zoom] I'm aware of the reviews, but how is your 24 holding up?

.............. Chris

charlesphoto

Charles - I agree, but there again I do enjoy your work. I was thinking of a 24 or 28 prime to use [I'm broke, can't afford Zeiss, want a small prime rather than zoom] I'm aware of the reviews, but how is your 24 holding up?

.............. Chris
I think for the money it's a fine lens, but not a great lens. I'm going to pick up a 24mm f/2.8 AIS mf and see how that compares before taking the plunge with a Zeiss. 24mm is my favorite length and I got spoiled by the Leica 24 on my M7, a truly splendid lens wide open even. Most of my early live club work was done with a 24mm f/2 but was shooting with a flash and f/4-8 so got the best out of that lens.

By all accounts the new 24-70 is the best one can do but I prefer the smaller profile of a prime esp on the D3. I also have the 17-35 but think the 24 AFD is about the same as that, if not slightly better (wide open at least). I also scuffed the back element slightly while on this job so no idea how that will affect performance. Fortunately scuffing a $200 lens is not as tragic as a $1000 lens. One downside of primes is they often get stuffed in the bag improperly if action is moving fast.

I guess the 28 Nikon AFD is a turkey. Better going with a manual focus 28 f2 or a 28 f/2.8 AIS. The 35 f/2 AFD I have on the other hand is a real good performer. Same with the cheapo little 50mm f/1.8.

Good luck, Charles

Chris C

Charles - Thank you for the feedback, all useful stuff. The new wide zooms seem to have moved the 'benchmark' so if Nikon do update their single focal length wides we can expect those lenses to be very good. Time will tell whether the current wides will be replaced. Having worked unobtrusively amongst people with the M8 and 24 Elmarit, it would be a shock to my system if Nikon's only viable quality alternative remains a 14-24 [on D300], or 24-70 [on D3].

.............. Chris

jonoslack

Charles - Thank you for the feedback, all useful stuff. The new wide zooms seem to have moved the 'benchmark' so if Nikon do update their single focal length wides we can expect those lenses to be very good. Time will tell whether the current wides will be replaced. Having worked unobtrusively amongst people with the M8 and 24 Elmarit, it would be a shock to my system if Nikon's only viable quality alternative remains a 14-24 [on D300], or 24-70 [on D3].

.............. Chris
HI Chris
I have an M8 and a D3, and from my experience, it's the D3 that's the trouble, not the lens attached! I think it's that it covers your whole face, but I've really noticed the difference.
For me it's the biggest downside of the D3 (only downside maybe - I really don't mind the size and weight), and it's why I haven't bought any of the Zeiss lenses - if everyone is going to run for cover every time I bring it out!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
It may be an expensive alternative, but the Nikon 28/1.4 AF lens is worth mentioning. I've been using the lens on the D3 and very much like its performance as a prime walk-about lens.

Kurt

charlesphoto

HI Chris
I have an M8 and a D3, and from my experience, it's the D3 that's the trouble, not the lens attached! I think it's that it covers your whole face, but I've really noticed the difference.
For me it's the biggest downside of the D3 (only downside maybe - I really don't mind the size and weight), and it's why I haven't bought any of the Zeiss lenses - if everyone is going to run for cover every time I bring it out!
I would say yes and no. To many people a camera is a camera, no matter the size. They will wonder why you are taking pics, not why are you using a D3 vs an M8. I work very well in the street with a Mamiya 6 and 7 and Rolleiflexes which are all as big as a D3. But add on a huge extending orb to the front of the camera and it becomes way more intimidating, esp when working in close. Not to mention more of a pain in the ass to stick in a smaller sized bag and to carry around for extended periods (a camera in hand is always better than a camera on shoulder). The zooms are great for commercial work or spot journalism when it really doesn't matter what the subject thinks. But I find the primes a lot more subtle.

Unfortunately I have no Zeiss dealer near me so I can't try out their primes. I have an 18 for my M8 - if they are made anything like that then they must be nice to use. But they do look considerably larger/heavier than the Nikons and not sure if worth 3x times the price. I find AF can be very handy (like off the back of a motorbike, etc) though I prefer manual focusing. I'm thinking of picking up a brightscreen with the microprism and split image. It's all a slippery slope.....

I would love a 28 f/1.4 but not at $3K!

neils

I'm with Charles here. A camera among strangers is still a camera. A large lens whether 20mm or 200mm gets attention. And I find a large 2.8 zoom is a lens people assume is pointing straight at them and only them. Get in there close with a small prime and it is less intimidating.

I've gotten back to a 35/85 combo. It does vary a bit, I may add a 50, the 85 may be replaced with a 105 micro. A 24 may sub for the 35. I wish the Ziess lens weren't so big though.

BTW, you know the Domke 803 satchel that many of us use for our "M"s? It'll hold a D3 and 3 primes. I know, who'd a thought. You can even have a lens on the camera. 35/50/85 fit, 24/35/50 fit and similar combos.

Neil

jonoslack

Charles, Neil
Well, maybe you're right and it's the lens - currently I don't have any small nikkors to try out! (the idea was to keep using the M in those circumstances).

Maybe I'll just go pick up a cheapo 50 f1.4 and see how people react (or maybe the 85 1.8). Like you, I lust after those zeiss lenses (I HAVE tried them, and they ARE lovely). The other possibility is the voigtlander 50 f1.4, which has the advantage of being chipped, and is lovely to look at and handle (and it's cheap).

An actress friend of our son was around yesterday evening - take out the M8 and she starts posing, the D3 with the 24-70 was on the table, I picked it up, and got extremely short shrift, but, as you say, maybe it's the lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think it's the lens too. When I travel, I usually bring the E-1 with the small OM primes, and people are all smiles. I'm just a guy with a camera. Whenever I point the Fuji with a big Nikkor zoom in the direction of somebody, I'm a photographer, and they tend to look in another direction.

But the sound sometimes affect people too. Cameras like the M8 and the E-1 are rather silent, and most people won't even notice the noise of the shutter. Not so with the D3, that sounds like a steel door being slammed. Very solid, but it makes a statement for each and every frame.

Chris C

.... maybe you're right and it's the lens...Maybe I'll just go pick up a cheapo 50 f1.4 and see how people react.....
Hi Jono - Have you thought about your D3 with a 40mm Voightlander Pancake lens? The lens is tiny and unthreatening, it could be a solution of sorts.

Best wishes

................. Chris

jonoslack

Bowing to everyone's greater wisdom, I've bought a cheopo lens to try out:
voigtlander 58mm f1.4 - it's coming tomorrow, I'll point it at people and report back!

jonoslack

Hi Jono - Have you thought about your D3 with a 40mm Voightlander Pancake lens? The lens is tiny and unthreatening, it could be a solution of sorts.

Best wishes

................. Chris
HI Chris - too late by 10 minutes - I thought about the 40, but I thought the 58 would be more useful, and it isn't that big anyway (it'll be dwarfed by the D3).

I'll report back

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Jono and the rest - I bought an original model 1 C/V 40mm lens a couple of yrs ago and never regretted it. In most instances it is sharper or as sharp as my 35L and that is saying something. If the 58mm is anywhere close, I am sure you will be happy. And since this is a Nikon forum, I also use a 28mm f2 Nikkor, and a 105 micro fwiw....Unfortunately, since buying an M8, I use my
5D with the macros and long teles only, and use the smaller lighter M8 when I want to go lighter.....ymmv......:)

charlesphoto

I'll be interested to here about the Voigtlander.

Yeah, eyeing those Zeisses. Will have to sell a few things off first and then decide which ones. I'm thinking the 25mm though the 28 f/2 looks nice as well.

jonoslack

I'll be interested to here about the Voigtlander.

Yeah, eyeing those Zeisses. Will have to sell a few things off first and then decide which ones. I'm thinking the 25mm though the 28 f/2 looks nice as well.
Well, the voigtlander 58 f1.4 arrived this morning. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start a newone!