The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens

otumay

Any comments on the subject will be most welcome. Though I plan to buy it for my Sigma SD14, the Nikon-mount version should have a very similar performance methinks.
Thanks,
Osman

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Gosh, I never knew they even made a special Party Member Edition ... :eek:

Your Sigma 30mm f/1.4 looks absolutely great, Osman. Congrats :thumbup:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Osman, just noticed this thread... nice shots.

Incidentally, i'm quite interested. Was investigating the SD15 yesterday, and found the 30 1.4 the (probable) most suitable lens.

I see you have a SD14... any word, comment or advice on the SD15?

Thanks!

otumay

Gosh, I never knew they even made a special Party Member Edition ... :eek:

Your Sigma 30mm f/1.4 looks absolutely great, Osman. Congrats :thumbup:
Thanks, Steen. The camera is actually a fake Leica, made for the Luftwaffe in Ukraine.

otumay

Osman, just noticed this thread... nice shots.

Incidentally, i'm quite interested. Was investigating the SD15 yesterday, and found the 30 1.4 the (probable) most suitable lens.

I see you have a SD14... any word, comment or advice on the SD15?

Thanks!
Corlan, to be frank, I do not see any major technical breakthrough in SD15 over SD14. Some changes I noticed were the switch to SD format from compact flash cards, 3" LCD instead of 2.5" and the new True II image processor, also incorporated in the DP2s and DP1x.

Also one has to bear in mind that when using an SD series camera, one has to make do with what Sigma has to offer, as no other make lens fits on this camera, and Sigma has not much to offer, at least for the time being.

But, and this is a huge but, you may fall in love with the Foveon sensor. Then you may be ready to accept the above mentioned drawbacks and enjoy the camera. My only advice would be to start with primes, and to test them for calibration before actually purchasing them. I have seen a few front focusing lenses, and the magnitude of error was in the range of 10 to 12 inches.

I hope this has been useful.

Best,

Osman

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Osman, much appreciated.
I'm not familiar with the Sigma cameras, but one of my dealers (for ZF lenses) swears that, for a smaller camera, i should go the SD-15 route instead of trying to find another S5 Pro.

Unfortunately he's a few hundred miles away, so it's difficult to test... maybe i'll ask if he has a personal copy he could part with for a week-end or so.

The various results from your own first tests with the 30mm sure look good.

otumay

Corlan, what I did was to take my SD14 with me to the dealer, put the lens on and take many punishing shots, which I later scrutinized on my screen.

otumay

Sinwen, I'm forever grateful to you. I never thought this was possible. Thank you very kindly.
Best,
Osman