The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone compared Zeiss 25/2.8 verses 28/2?

fotografz

I have a D3 and D300 ... but have designated the D300, equipped with the "life altering" Brightscreen D2 viewfinder mag, for use with the Zeiss 50/2 & 100/2 Macros. It makes for a compact and versatile travel kit.

So to round it out, I am looking at wides. My inclination is the 25mm because of the crop factor on the D300 which makes it approx a 35mm field of view. Then maybe eventually suppliment it with the Zeiss 35/2 later.

However, the underlying concept behind building the little D300 kit is max IQ ... thus the question of the 25/2.8 verses the 28/2.

Kphelan

Marc, I don't have a D3 or ZF28, but I do have a D300, and the ZF25 was the first lens I purchased for it. I love this EFOV as it is the same as the M8 with 28 Cron. Overall I have found the ZF25 to be essentially flawless. I think I will eventually add the 35, and the one I am really hoping for is a return of the 21mm. Attached are a few pics, chronoligically at f4, f5.6, f8, and f11. All in 14 bit raw, the first at ISO 400, the rest at 200.

IMO the only drawback of the ZFs - if there are any - is their chunky weight. I have an AIS 20mm f2.8 that comparatively feels like a feather.

---Kent