The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 58 1.4 SLII on D3

etrigan63

Severe Thunderstorm warnings today and Florida is the Lightning Capital of the Earth (20,000 strikes per day). PJ spirit I have, blithering idiot I am not.

Anyway the quest for subject matter has led to the inevitable cat picture:

I caught this shot of Her Majesty snoozing on our bed. Shooing her off does no good, she knows she's in charge.

The lens appears to be quite sharp, and even at f5 (the setting the Metz set the camera to) there is pretty nice bokeh. The flash was in bounce mode with the built-in diffuser deployed.

jonoslack

Okay Carlos
I'll let you off this time!

I'm still loving this lens - it's lovely for working indoors, here are a couple from yesterday in our kitchen:

Olive Oil

Anyone for Ginger and Lemon tea? (the garlic isn't compulsory!)

Both taken with natural sunlight at f9

etrigan63

Jono,
nice work as always. BTW, a 67mm snap-in cap works perfectly with the LH-58 hood. They are readily available in local stores but more cheaply on the 'bay.

etrigan63

D300 + Voigtlander 58 1.4 SLII w/PK 11 and 12 stacked
Cindy, the URL of your lilac image changed.
It's here now:

Forgive me for being dense: PK 11 & 12 Stacked?

Jono:
I have to say your kitchen is far more picturesque than mine. With six of us at home the place is more like a restaurant than the "heart of the home". I hope to have ours redone sometime later this year.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carlos: PK 11 and 12 are 8mm and 14mm Nikon extension tubes that I use for close focusing this lens.
Sorry about the link to my photo...:( I fixed it now.
Nice kitty portrait...congratulations on the new lens.

Helen, Thank you.

Jono, both of your shots have so much character...they are marvelous.

etrigan63

Works now, I noticed that you mention Florida as one of your locations. Where, pray tell, are you in the Sunshine State (when you are not in Arizona or Wisconsin)?

Last edited:

jonoslack

Carlos, Helen, Cindy
thank you - our kitchen is not finished yet . . . . we started it in 1991!:ROTFL:
It's lovely though, a higgledy piggledy mass of books / magazines / sculptures / paintings / cats / food / very old wood and sunshine (windows on 3 sides).

Emma is the kitchen artist, I'm just the poor interpretive hack . . . mind you, I get into terrible trouble if there's too much dust . . the Olive oil bottle was whipped away from me, dusted and then replaced before I could get a shot in:)

Cindy, you lilac is lovely and subdued, and Carlos, the painting in light seems like the start of a brave venture . . . I gave my tripod away, so I can't do that!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm growing Columbine for the Hummingbirds that stop by (I hope!). D300+ Voigtlander 58 Nokton + PK 11 + PK 12 (tubes).

D

diglloyd

Well, based on what I've seen here and on flickr, I have gone ahead and ordered a 58mm from Stephen Gandy over at CameraQuest. Hopefully it will be here this weekend!
I've been shooting the 58/1.4 and recently did some comparisons with the NOCT-Nikkor for overall image quality (I need to do more work on the bokeh aspect). When time allows I'll be writing up my findings. In brief though, the 58/1.4 (ignoring the price difference of about ~$2000 vs a used NOCT) is a vastly superior lens for most uses. The Voigtlander 58/1.4 does have some peculiarities though, including strong field curvature, which makes it a very bad match for some subjects (or very good for others).

I'd say the Voigtlander 58/1.4 is one of the best bargains available today in the manual focus lens categoroy in that focal length range.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I've been shooting the 58/1.4 and recently did some comparisons with the NOCT-Nikkor for overall image quality (I need to do more work on the bokeh aspect). When time allows I'll be writing up my findings. In brief though, the 58/1.4 (ignoring the price difference of about ~$2000 vs a used NOCT) is a vastly superior lens for most uses. The Voigtlander 58/1.4 does have some peculiarities though, including strong field curvature, which makes it a very bad match for some subjects (or very good for others).

I'd say the Voigtlander 58/1.4 is one of the best bargains available today in the manual focus lens categoroy in that focal length range.
I'll be looking forward to your review. I love my copy for most subjects.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
yes, lately she has been the bait in Andree's Hidden Advertising of Morris Mini cars :D

deepdiver

Hahahahaha you guys are really funny..!! :) LOL
She can speak a little Indonesian language and english, she is originally from Russia (Niyara is her name)
I don't know what is she doing in Indonesia... :p
But one thing for sure, she likes to have her picture taken :D