The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Replacing D2X (on permanent loan to anonymous)

Lars

Silly me, went and got the D2X stolen on Malta... my own fault really, Malta is generally safe if you remember to lock your car and not leave an expensive camera in the passenger seat overnight. Lens was 50/1.4D - won't be missed much.

With that out of the way... I'm heavily invested in Nikon glass (though most of it pre-digital designs), so for replacement Nikon was the only real option.

I looked at my short-term options, and the only choices really were D80 and D300. Didn't take long to decide on a D300. Ordered one from Robert White for 898 pounds, a bargain really (compared to the D2X). I'd like to go full-frame, but am holding off on that investment for now. A few more pixels in that full frame would be nice too.

Didn't order the battery grip - if I don't need the extra fps, is it really worthwhile? (I still have the charger and one battery from the D2x, which will limit the expense of the grip).

Lars

Greg Seitz

Silly me, went and got the D2X stolen on Malta... my own fault really, Malta is generally safe if you remember to lock your car and not leave an expensive camera in the passenger seat overnight. Lens was 50/1.4D - won't be missed much.

With that out of the way... I'm heavily invested in Nikon glass (though most of it pre-digital designs), so for replacement Nikon was the only real option.

I looked at my short-term options, and the only choices really were D80 and D300. Didn't take long to decide on a D300. Ordered one from Robert White for 898 pounds, a bargain really (compared to the D2X). I'd like to go full-frame, but am holding off on that investment for now. A few more pixels in that full frame would be nice too.

Didn't order the battery grip - if I don't need the extra fps, is it really worthwhile? (I still have the charger and one battery from the D2x, which will limit the expense of the grip).

Lars
Hi Lars,

Sorry to hear your D2X was taken. :(

I actually have the grip but the only time I use it is for shooting sports to get those extra 2fps since I keep shooting with the horizontal controls even in portrait orientation.

The grip itself is one of the best ones I've seen on both Canon or Nikon. It's made of magnesium, integrated nicely into the contours of the D300 and creates a pretty solid connection with little flex.

It's definitely an added bonus that you already have the battery, but in a pinch you can also run off of AA's an get great battery life and 8fps. If you do pick up the grip make sure you get a BL-3 for it to accommodate the EN-EL4 batteries.

Greg

Lars

Sorry to hear about the D2x. Let us know what you think of it.
Oh, I'm sure I'll like the D300, no doubts there. Actually really looking forward to seeing the screen, and having the convenience of an onboard fill-flash. And lower noise, of course. I think at this point the two question marks (compared to D2x) are
- Grip necessary or just convenient (I think I got a good answer to that above, but I'll try to live without the grip for a while to keep initial investment down).
- Can the built-in flash really replace SU-800 as flash controller (my guess is most of the time but I'll keep my SU-800 anyway).

BTW a tip for low noise on D2X is multiexposure (in situations where that is possible). Set the camera on a STURDY tripod (we're talking 5-series Gitzo or similar), lowest iso, and 10x multiexposure. All noise is GONE. Plus you get a few more stops of dynamic range. This of course only works if you shoot stationary subjects like concrete freeway pillars (coincidentally grey concrete has a very small tonal range, but hey, any noise is gone :) ).

Lars