The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 35 vs Nikon 35 AFD

charlesphoto

Okay, I have a decision to make on buying a Zeiss 35 (found mint locally). I already have a Nikon 35 AFD which is actually a pretty good lens. Anyone have feelings about how the Zeiss weighs in against this? I don't need autofocus as I have a 17-35mm to pull out for those times I do (and am considering a 24-70 someday when they are actually available at the correct price!).

I have a Zeiss 25 coming to replace my Nikon 24 which is not that great of a lens (though still not terrible for the $200 I paid for a mint copy). I know the Zeiss 28 is a great performer but not really a focal length that's ever done anything for me. Neither wide enough nor "normal" enough. I'll probably add a 50 1.4 at some point if I find a good price on one (I actually think my cheapo Nikon 50 f/1.8 is a stellar lens).

Anyway, I do really have to stop spending at some point (ha!) but is the Zeiss 35 that much better than the Nikon?

neils

Charles

Check out www.photozone.de

Pretty well respected tester though using a D200 and not full frame. He has reviewed most of the Zeiss lenses. He thinks the Z35 is quite a bit better than the N35.

Digi-loydd (sp) has reviewed the Zeiss line up also and used a D3 for some of it.

Neil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Charles,

I have both the Zeiss 35/2 & 25/2.8 and I have to say that I'm very very pleased with them. Excellent sharpness and Zeiss contrast - definitely an extra level of clarity in shots taken with these lenses compared to the Nikon equivalents.

One thing to be aware of with the 25/2.8 is that the close focusing accuracy comes with the burden of a slow helical focus which means that it's a slow focus lens - you turn & turn & turn ... :rolleyes:

The Nikon 35/2 AFD is a fine AF lens, although a little noisy - moot point if you've just sold yours. You'll like the Zeiss - very solid feel and excellent results.

Even though I'm using a D3 and most of the best Nikon lenses I'm often resorting to my preferred Zeiss MF lenses - for landscape work I find AF of little value to me.