The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Brightscreen choice for D3?

Stuart Richardson

I don't want to deny DDK's experiences either, and while I did not find the proscreen useful, I have no reason to doubt that they are a completely upstanding company. I was able to return the screen easily for a full refund without a problem.

A

asabet

I just got off the phone with Jim. He said that they would not give me my original screen, even though they don't use it to make the Proscreen, because the screen exchange is part of the pricing. I asked him whether I could pay extra to retain my original screen, and he said that no one had ever asked him that and that he was not prepared to offer that. He did give me assurance of two things that others might find useful to know. First, there is a 10-day return policy on screens. So if I receive my D700 and don't like their screen, I have 10 days to return it for replacement with my original screen for no service fee (although he did mention they will charge me again for shipping if that occurs). Second, the screen installation does not affect the Nikon warranty even though the D700 screen is not interchangeable according to Nikon. I don't see this in writing anywhere on their site, but given how long Brightscreen has been in business, I'll take Jim's word.

One other thing he mentioned is that their return policy on cameras is only 3 days. I hadn't realized that, but it won't affect my decision to order.

Regards,
Amin

O

Oxide Blu

... I'm about to buy a Zeiss ZF 2/50 Makro (finally made up my mind), and I really don't want to have to rely on AF confirmation lights to focus my lens.

I have the ZF 2/100 Makro. Manual focus is nothing short of a pleasure with the ZF line. I have 4 ZF lenses, the other three being the 2.8/25, 1.4/50 and 1.4/85. Every one of them is a heavy lens. Toss those into a bag with the D2X body and nothing less than two sherpa is required to carry the camera bag on a pole stretch between their shoulders. But the image quality goes without compare.

I have only a single DX lens that I bought with the D2X back when... but everything since has been for full frame imaging. I suspected the DX format was intended to be temporary for DSLRs.

I use BrightScreens in my Nikon film cameras and other medium format film cameras. I don't remember why but I chose to try a Katzeye for the D2Xs. After using it I called Katzeye back and asked if they had screens for film cameras, fully intending to toss all of the BrightScreens, was told they are having a hard time keeping up with the rapid release of digital camera updates and had intended to do screens for film cameras but don't see it as possibility anytime in the near future. The high demand for Katzeye screens in various digital cameras has taxed their design resources.

I never played with the ZF 50 makro, but I suspect it is similar quality to the other ZF lenses, you'll love the images if you are ok with manual focus. If you are not well experienced with manual focus you may be entering into "love it or hate" territory with any MF lens.