The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which small Nikon?

jonoslack

Jono. Find me a D80 body for about $500 and I'll take your advice for sure! :ROTFL: I keep watching them on eBay, but the foolish people bid them up too high! :angry: ;)
Ah well - just wait until the D90 is announced next month . . . then they'll be as cheap as chips (but not as cheap as the E520 you should be getting :p)

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I agree with Jono and he has very valid points. For a compact system with good IQ zoom lens, Olympus 3/4 system is hard to beat. An E420 or E520 with zoom 12-60 lens is a comb that Nikon system couldn't really match. I recently pick-up an Panasonic L-1 with Leica D 14-50/2,8-3.5 kit lens. I am very impressed with IQ compared to my Nikon system (D200 with 17-35 AFS, 70-200 VR).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One more vote for the D80. It's a real camera with a real viewfinder, and not that much bigger than the D40/60. Very cheap now too.

Since the Voigtländer 58/1.4 has been mentioned, I'm buying one soon as well, to use both on my S3 and on my E-1 with an adapter. It will be very interesting to see how it performs on 4/3.

Joan

Thanks again, everyone! I am grateful for all of your input and advice. Won't be getting the 18-200 until late next week, so have some time think about all this.
Will post some of my boring first shots with whichever camera once I have it! :D:D:D

helenhill

Since the Voigtländer 58/1.4 has been mentioned, I'm buying one soon as well, to use both on my S3 and on my E-1 with an adapter. It will be very interesting to see how it performs on 4/3.
Hi Jorgen
What adapter do you need for the Voiglander & 4/3rds ?
Thanx in advance for your help
best, H

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen
What adapter do you need for the Voiglander & 4/3rds ?
Thanx in advance for your help
best, H
Any F-mount to 4/3 adapter will do. I believe Cameraquest has one.There are also cheaper ones available on the auction site.

There's no glass involved, so image quality is usually maintained, at least for primes. 4/3 cameras will meter with Nikkors, but only stop-down metering. On cameras with IS, IS will work.

There are many interesting combinations to be had, and some very cheap Nikkors available, often cheaper than OM Zuikos.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Another lens which is interesting, and I have seen some raves, there are always pans as well for all gear, is the new 16-85mm VR lens. It is equal to 24mm at the wide end and thus I would find it to be a big advantage over the 18-200 for that alone. YMMV. I would also be backing it up with a second lens for the long end anyway, the 70-300VR....jmho...
It is also lighter and I believe smaller by a bit, then the 18-200VR....

jonoslack

Another lens which is interesting, and I have seen some raves, there are always pans as well for all gear, is the new 16-85mm VR lens. It is equal to 24mm at the wide end and thus I would find it to be a big advantage over the 18-200 for that alone. YMMV. I would also be backing it up with a second lens for the long end anyway, the 70-300VR....jmho...
I think it looks like a nice lens too - it's almost 100gm lighter than the 18-200, but it's slow (3.5-5.6) and it doesn't have VR.

I agree about the 70-300VR - I have one for the D3, it's only shortoming is that it doesn't focus very close, but it's a splendid lens.
. . . but this rather bears out my problem - as soon as you start looking at lenses for Nikon DX sensor cameras, every one you look at has some sort of gotcha.

Olympus? the 14-42 and the 40-150 are tiny, cheap, very sharp, almost macro in their close focusing, and if you get a camera with IS then the fact that they are a little slow doesn't matter.

If you want something a bit better, then the 12-60 f2.8-f3.5 is a stunning lens , fast, sharp, useable at all focal lengths, and all apertures, reasonably sized and priced.

Nikon certainly have the professional zooms nowadays, and decent(ish) kit lenses, but I really think the middle ground is badly served.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
I think it looks like a nice lens too - it's almost 100gm lighter than the 18-200, but it's slow (3.5-5.6) and it doesn't have VR.

I agree about the 70-300VR - I have one for the D3, it's only shortoming is that it doesn't focus very close, but it's a splendid lens.
. . . but this rather bears out my problem - as soon as you start looking at lenses for Nikon DX sensor cameras, every one you look at has some sort of gotcha.

Olympus? the 14-42 and the 40-150 are tiny, cheap, very sharp, almost macro in their close focusing, and if you get a camera with IS then the fact that they are a little slow doesn't matter.

If you want something a bit better, then the 12-60 f2.8-f3.5 is a stunning lens , fast, sharp, useable at all focal lengths, and all apertures, reasonably sized and priced.

Nikon certainly have the professional zooms nowadays, and decent(ish) kit lenses, but I really think the middle ground is badly served.
Jono - I hate to disagree but everything I have read on the 16-85mm afs lens is that it DOES have VR built in, look at any of the sites like B&H or Adorama..fwiw...
There are no perfect lenses, even Olympus must have some flaws...hehe, for someone....ehh?? The 70-300mmVR focuses well and accurately, at least my sample does, but not an issue as I have the 105mmVR when I need macro or my old 55Micro AIS...or just throw on a closeup filter or using a 10-12MP camera just crop the image slightly, always lots of options...

Personally, I might just forget the midrange and go with just my 50mm 1.4afd and go wider, like with a 10-22 or 12-24mm lens, but that is just me...:D

jonoslack

Jono - I hate to disagree but everything I have read on the 16-85mm afs lens is that it DOES have VR built in, look at any of the sites like B&H or Adorama..fwiw...
I beg your pardon Don - you are (of course) quite right - I was surprised too, I looked here:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1025671
and it doesn't mention it in the description . . . mind you, it says it in big writing on the lens, so it isn't much of an excuse!

There are no perfect lenses, even Olympus must have some flaws...hehe, for someone....ehh?? The 70-300mmVR focuses well and accurately, at least my sample does, but not an issue as I have the 105mmVR when I need macro or my old 55Micro AIS...or just throw on a closeup filter or using a 10-12MP camera just crop the image slightly, always lots of options...
Of course - they aren't 'magical', you shouldn't think I'm partisan either, I've just been out shooting with a bag of 3 Nikon and one Voigtlander lenses. I was trying to answer Joan's original position, NOT to slag off Nikon.

I have the 70-300 VR and the 105mm VR - both great lenses IMHO (and not huge), but neither is exactly pocket sized.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Jono - no pardon necessary, just wanted to provide accurate info. You usually are flawless with this kind of information:).

We have lots of great gear to choose from today. It used to be just the big C or N or L maybe for 35mm, today, the field is for ever growing, Sony, Olympus, Sigma, etc, etc.. It must be next to impossible for someone not into photography at times to make a decision....then again it is almost impossible for us.....to much gear, too little time and wallet....haha....

jonoslack

Jono - no pardon necessary, just wanted to provide accurate info. You usually are flawless with this kind of information:).
Kind of you to say so, but wrong I'm afraid - I'm always making mistakes, I'd think it was old age, but I always did make them!

We have lots of great gear to choose from today. It used to be just the big C or N or L maybe for 35mm, today, the field is for ever growing, Sony, Olympus, Sigma, etc, etc.. It must be next to impossible for someone not into photography at times to make a decision....then again it is almost impossible for us.....to much gear, too little time and wallet....haha....

Well, does it REALLY matter - they all work reasonably well, and if you aren't into photography you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference between them. I think it's all much better now, and although the internet can be infuriating, it really does make for better kit. Nikon fixed the bug in the d3 firmware update within 10 days . . . . AND we all knew about it! can you imagine that happening 15 years ago (and don't tell me there were no bugs then!).

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Kind of you to say so, but wrong I'm afraid - I'm always making mistakes, I'd think it was old age, but I always did make them!

Well, does it REALLY matter - they all work reasonably well, and if you aren't into photography you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference between them. I think it's all much better now, and although the internet can be infuriating, it really does make for better kit. Nikon fixed the bug in the d3 firmware update within 10 days . . . . AND we all knew about it! can you imagine that happening 15 years ago (and don't tell me there were no bugs then!).
Well, we should all thank Al Gore for creating the nternet, cause without him companies like Nikon would be back in the dark ages for sure, no massive complaint lists, no public forum for group issues....:D:D
and nothing would get fixed.....like in the old days. All gear had quirks, Nikons did their thing, Canon theirs and so on...

You are right, I am sure that you have found not one camera you advised some newbie to get and who was not into photography to ever complain about what they bought that we had recommended. They most likely would have been fine with any choice, as they lack both the experience and the interest to find a fault. They just use it as any other device they have.

Only pros or serious OCD hobbyists care about such stuff.... I need to go and obsess over my next camera and selling some stuff on ebay.....ta ta..

Terry

My advice to anyone getting the 16-85 is to back it up with a faster prime. The 16-85 is the lens more likely to be used indoors with it's focal length but it is just too slow for low ISO non flash work. At 50mm you are already at f5.6. Spend $100 more and add the 50mm f1.8 at the same time. Said from experience :D. I own the lens and tried to take pictures of little kids at a birthday party. I was in a very well lit gym and I needed to be at ISO 3200 the whole time. If you stay very wide indoors you are OK but outdoors and for travel, this lens is quite nice with a great focal length range. I ended up going out and buying the 24-70 and will probably sell the 16-85....it actually has VR II the newest version of VR .

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, if the distortion and CA characteristics of the 18-200 VR are a concern, I can highly recommend DxO Optics Pro which does a wonderful job of correcting the distortions of this lens. It'll tighten up the images too.

The 18-200 VR is a very convenient lens if you want a go anywhere combination in a single lens. I did a trip to Argentina for a week or so with just a D2x and 18-200 VR with great results. As mentioned, the post-processing in DxO really dials out the worst of any distortions and compromises from such a wide zoom. (Nikon Capture also does a good job with this lens too).

Joan

Finally got me a NI-KON camera, whooppee! :clap:

I decided to go against your advice, Jono (sorry) and bought the little D60. Feels nice in my hands and saved me a bit of $ over the D80. So far, I think it's a very nice, if simple, little guy. The 18-200 is quite comfortable on it for me, and I can't wait to take it somewhere fun.

Meanwhile, here are my obligatory first few boring shots:

Garbage day in the neighborhood

Crepe Myrtle

Heart of palm

I hope I can get some better ones to share in the "Fun with Nikon" thread soon. :)

Last edited:

Terry

Congratulations on the new camera! Well, we can arrange more shooting opportunities at the next NY meet up in July!

Joan

Thanks, Terry and Helen. I would love to come in July ... strongly doubt it though. Have to get my boy ready for college, so that's where ALL my money will be going.

Helen, what's this I just read about someone with a new Epson camera?? Congrats to YOU too, my dear. (What happened to the E420? Bye bye?)