The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One D3 or 2 D300

S

S.P.

Probably should have bought Kurts D3 but short on cash at the moment . I just bought a MF system but thinking ahead for my Nikon system , I do need a 24-70 for the event stuff but my real question is backup and primary. I have one D300 and maybe get a second backup or just screw it and get 1 D3 and call it a day. I hate not having a exact backup but is the D3 good enough not to fail. i always figure this with Nikon or Canon i am ten minutes from a store that can get a D300 either via rental or just buy it. Something to think about

Now for me this system is to do certain jobs like corporate meeting and such and the MF can do some of it but not all. The D300 does a good job so not overly worried about file quality. I am leaning at D300 backup
Hello Guy,

is it for the next two days, the next two week or the next two months?

This question is important for me to give you the right advice.

Stefan

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Good decisions on both cases, let me say that smart decisions don't abide in the area that I live in New England. Many of the parents here opt either for buying there kids big safe cocoons, like a small suv or bigger,[to protect then in the inevitable accident they know will happen, but hard to drive and apt to roll over] or buy them with little or no good driving experience high performance cars like Subaru WRX or even STi's...the results have been horrendous, in our little neck of the woods, we have lost 6-8 kids in the last 12-18 mos. Some of the WRX kids, the drivers had previous accidents, arrests for speeding, alcohol, etc, the parents rewarded them by buying even more speed and power...where are all the parents today, too much money and not enough sense..all I can say is, CONGRATULATIONS for being a smart parent and adult. Sorry for the rant, and it being OT, but this is most likely one of the most important decisions any of us will ever make....

Now back to our regular programming....

jonoslack

Hello Guy,

is it for the next two days, the next two week or the next two months?

This question is important for me to give you the right advice.

Stefan
Stefan - we are talking GUY here.
I understand his mindset perfectly - we are talking:
"until the next best comes along"
In this case, presumably, it'll be the D3x later on in the year (24mp with those nice new lenses may also stress some MF decisions I'd say).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good decisions on both cases, let me say that smart decisions don't abide in the area that I live in New England. Many of the parents here opt either for buying there kids big safe cocoons, like a small suv or bigger,[to protect then in the inevitable accident they know will happen, but hard to drive and apt to roll over] or buy them with little or no good driving experience high performance cars like Subaru WRX or even STi's...the results have been horrendous, in our little neck of the woods, we have lost 6-8 kids in the last 12-18 mos. Some of the WRX kids, the drivers had previous accidents, arrests for speeding, alcohol, etc, the parents rewarded them by buying even more speed and power...where are all the parents today, too much money and not enough sense..all I can say is, CONGRATULATIONS for being a smart parent and adult. Sorry for the rant, and it being OT, but this is most likely one of the most important decisions any of us will ever make....

Now back to our regular programming....

Well said Don and sometimes going OT is a good thing. Our thinking on this forum is if a thread wonders in a different but good direction , just let it be. Great data is Great data no matter how we get it.

Guy Mancuso

Stefan - we are talking GUY here.
I understand his mindset perfectly - we are talking:
"until the next best comes along"
In this case, presumably, it'll be the D3x later on in the year (24mp with those nice new lenses may also stress some MF decisions I'd say).
Yes Jono is right, it is what will the next best thing be and if it makes sense than you just switch it out. You can fall in love but just don't marry it is my motto.

S

S.P.

Yes Jono is right, it is what will the next best thing be and if it makes sense than you just switch it out. You can fall in love but just don't marry it is my motto.
If you want to deliver the best quality to your clients of course you have to buy the D3 AND keep the D300 as backup or second body if it´s not possible to change lenses very fast. That´s my combination and I keep the D200 too. It works fine as remote camera with the integrated interval timer or I give it to my assistent to take some "maikng of" pictures.

Stefan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
I have a D3 as you know a D200, and have ben using a D300 for awhile.
I am converting the D200 for IR at maxmax and have decided to keep the D3 above the D300 mainly for the wides. I am mostly using nikon primes that I have lying around and am selling off all my dx stuff. I will buy the 24-70 once I can find one that is not already called for an use the 80-400 for my wildlife stuff, but then I think I am set, er except that I hear that Phase back calling my name.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Phase one took a chunk out of me but frankly best move I made. The files are just amazing with detail

jonoslack

Phase one took a chunk out of me but frankly best move I made. The files are just amazing with detail
I'm waiting that one out, until I see what Nikon can do with those new lenses and a 24mp sensor - if it doesn't press the button then I guess I'll be heading MF.