The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon "Street"

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Also lots of thanks to you, Osman and Matt
Found one more

click for larger size (3.9 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/80 sec. at f/8 ISO 400 • Capture NX

C

capsfoto

Steve/Steen/Lloyd: Thanks. I agree Steen, "Street" is any public place. The moon was oddly low in the alley!

Steve: Well Arizona's almost far enough West. Just need to go North a bit.

Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
You work reminds of Henri Cartier-Bresso. I am thinking of getting the 85mm 1.4 AF Nikon.I use FX cameras now after 40 years of 4x5 and some medium format film cameras. I still have a lot to learn in my old days in regards to post processing etc. Again, great work !!!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
That's what the rumors say. Even Thom Hogan says so at bythom.com

At this link go to Apr 19: "Like More, Like Less", and read on for quite a bit, then you will find this sentence (you may search for the string "very, very soon now"):

"(the 85mm f/1.4D needs to be an 85mm f/1.4G VR AF-S, but that's coming very, very soon now)."

Lloyd

Also lots of thanks to you, Osman and Matt
Found one more

click for larger size (3.9 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/80 sec. at f/8 ISO 400 • Capture NX
Another winner Steen, and I'm impressed with the balance in the exposure. One would expect that lightbulb to be a hot spot here, but it seems to be in perfect balance with the rest of the image. Well done.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Cool market shots Steen. Like the way you focused some on the produce more than on people like with the garlic.
(hopefully it's not a random output of the aging eyes along with the small VF... :confused: :p)

Jokes aside, i concur with Lloyd about the last one. Exposure balance is impressive, and again you get those smooth details and colors everywhere in the photo. Quite nice.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you, Lloyd and Corlan !

Cool market shots Steen. Like the way you focused some on the produce more than on people like with the garlic.
(hopefully it's not a random output of the aging eyes along with the small VF... :confused: :p) (...)
Sorry Corlan, I'm afraid that is exactly the case :rolleyes: I simply didn't nail it. And my eyes are getting worse every year.
That shot was even not wide open but at an aperture of 2.8.
So I'm really looking forward to the coming Nikon 85mm f/1.4G VR AF-S, likely to be released in a not too distant future.
And please let it be a super high-end magic woodoo mojo optic, not just an average ok lens manufactured at the cheapest factory.
The problem is that so far the 85 ZF is my favorite lens, and I do not want to part with it ...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
On the other hand for this kind of shooting the combination of ZF + the smaller, dimmer VF of the D300 sure doesn't help. On the D700 i found the DK-17 to be an interesting crutch when it comes to quick MF. Maybe you had a chance to try it out?

Hopefully you nailed what the new 85 1.4 will be about. A top quality lens and not a lousy piece of plastic. I don't hold my breath too much though, if the pricing's in line with the recent 24mm's. :mad: Hopefully again, it'll be more in line with the 105Vr (or the 50/1.4G). Guess we could live with this kind of IQ, either on DX or FX indifferently, which represent probably the best value (and not far from the best IQ overall) one could hope for. Would love that.

P.S. i still like the "garlic shot", on purpose or not ;)

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks a lot, Corlan and Matt.

Corlan, I already use the DK-21M Magnifying Eyepiece (magnifying 1.17x).
The DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece (magnifying 1.2x) doesn't fit my D300 body.
Maybe I should just see it as a convenient excuse for upgrading to a larger and brighter viewfinder FX format camera and at the same time adding the DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece.
On the other hand I would prefer to save the money for a 4/400mm VR tele lens for birding. Or a 5.6/400mm VR. I wonder how many more years I will have to wait for one of those.
Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Not exactly a street shot, but just to illustrate what we are talking about :D

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/30 sec at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

click for larger - in some browsers F11 deactivates and again activates <-> menu lines

Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • 1/500 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Hey maybe this thread is waking up again. I've always wanted to have something to post on it. Here's a few that qualify for no other reason than they were taken on the street. Not sure they fit the conventional definition otherwise.

Best,
Tim

O

oneANT

Steen, it was your zf50 on a F3HP that got me here. I'll be joining you with the F3HP early next year. Love film, love Nikon ...and am nutz (NUTZ) about street.

I started around Dec09 (D90) after an accident and am now at 45days over the two years. Was a day a month then a fortnight and now I can do (and I do) 10hour days of constant walking ...I'll increase my days next year and have energy like a horse at the gate (that might be an apology).

I'll start with my trophy pic and then it can all be downhill after that (grin).

April 7th 2011, my eldest son's birthday and I had taken my bicycle into the city to extend my range beyond the trams. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him and raced ahead, leaping off my bike like a marine out of a chopper. I had my back to him and had to unpack from my backpack and stood as I saw his shoes. Was the craziest sunset, blazing orange and I had been playing in it for 3days.

D700 zf21/2.8

Ant.
ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ