The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon "Street"

jonoslack

Hey c'mon sizifo, I see no reason whatsoever to connect Jono's reply with any specific person.
And besides I cannot at all connect any of Jono's speifications with the member you mention.
Here's an extreme example of what Jono is talking about if I undertstand him correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM
Thank you Steen:)
Bruce Gilden - and after all, it's only my opinion, lots of people like him. My intention was only to congratulate Jorgen on his great photos. Tough to be slagged off for being complimentary!

grrrr! :mad:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seriously about 95 percent I have seen posted on this forum are very nice indeed . We have some good shooters here for sure. Not to miss anyone but I also liked Vivek and Steens as well

V

Vivek

A couple of more "IR Street"

a couple of non IR (D200)

30/1.4 Sigma @f/1.4

Zeiss S-Planar 120/4 with tilt @ f/8 and 8 deg tilt

Though the number is small (at the moment), there are some excellent photogs here. And what Jono said about too much aggression is the world is gold.

Jorgen, You are good.:)

I appreciate your (and Jack's) forum Guy.

sizifo

I definitely overreacted, and apologies for this to you Jono. But I do have something to say, and will try and do it more calmly. Jono, I've sent you a private message trying to explain myself, and in order to try and avoid creating a flame war (but if you want you can post it publicly).

Terry

Jorgen,
I like all of the shots. My favorite is still the woman on the scooter in the rain. If I took a trip to Hanoi and walked away with the number of really good shots that you've posted I would be a very happy woman!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I miss Mitch on this forum. He had a different way of seeing, and a different way of expressing himself. That made the streets of Bangkok look different from what I see through my eyes, and a great inspiration.

Focal length has always been a theme with regards to street photography. I've ended up with 85mm on DX, and would probably have used a 135mm on FX. That leaves enough distance for people to feel comfortable, and mostly to keep doing what they do. In Asia, people pose for photos ("You didn't say one, two, three!"), particularly if I get too close. The extra focal length also gives a bit of "compression" of the perspective, moving people and things closer together, something that I personally like, but obviously, others may think differently.

Too me, it's also a question of respect. During three days in Hanoi, I shot 1,700 individual photos, but that is nothing compared to all the photos that I did not take, mainly because it became apparent that the subject didn't want his or her photos taken.

Getting comments and criticism is obviously one of the reasons to post on a forum like this, and I'm very thankful for all the feedback here. Hopefully we'll all be here for quite a while, enjoying each other's work. Thank you everyone!

And Vivek, that b&w one with the girl over the shoulder is great :)

Here's another one. Don't ask, I didn't :eek:

sizifo

No need everyone is fine. We all have our moments.
That's nice. Thanks.

I have the following problem though:

"jonoslack has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

So I sent the message to the email on your website.

sizifo

Yes Indeed, and I've had a very graceful email discussion with Sizifo. I won't go into details, but we've certainly done much better than 'agreeing to differ'!

How civilised:)
Agreed, agreed, and I apologize again. Also, I realized today it may look like I was trying to attack Jorgen's photography, but this really wasn't the case. Well, the motivation for my ill-advised outburst is pretty well summarized by

I miss Mitch on this forum. He had a different way of seeing, and a different way of expressing himself.

Guy Mancuso

Well glad it all worked out instead of taking your ball and going to play somewhere else. Too many don't want to discuss anything and walk away. As far as Mitch looks like he took his ball and walked away. Jack and i have sent several PM's to him, his choice what can i say. The door has been open all along.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Yep, the door is open and that's what matters. Actually our friend does log in and visit us regularly, and I'm sure he will chime in whenever he wants to. I also take a break now and then, and then suddenly I'm inspired to participate again. That's how it's all so nice and relaxed here.

jonoslack

Yep, the door is open and that's what matters. Actually our friend does log in and visit us regularly, and I'm sure he will chime in whenever he wants to. I also take a break now and then, and then suddenly I'm inspired to participate again. That's how it's all so nice and relaxed here.
Hi Steen
Let's hope he does chip in soon - I'm sure that we all miss his contribution.

jonoslack

Agreed, agreed, and I apologize again. Also, I realized today it may look like I was trying to attack Jorgen's photography, but this really wasn't the case. Well, the motivation for my ill-advised outburst is pretty well summarized by
Well Vid
Let's hope it encourages Mitch back again, and then it's for the best all round.

I'm sure Jorgen didn't take it as an attack on his wonderful photography.

I'm not sure whether this is apocryphal or not, but it's certainly my motto in life: My father told me that he'd read an interview with Thelonious Monk from the 50's, the interviewer had said:

Well Mr Monk, it seems that you make a lot of mistakes when you are playing
The reply was:

Man, there is no such thing as a bum note . . . . it all depends on how you resolve it

sizifo

Well Vid
Let's hope it encourages Mitch back again, and then it's for the best all round.

I'm sure Jorgen didn't take it as an attack on his wonderful photography.

I'm not sure whether this is apocryphal or not, but it's certainly my motto in life: My father told me that he'd read an interview with Thelonious Monk from the 50's, the interviewer had said:

The reply was:
Ha ha.

Well I'm sure Mitch's resolve to stay pissed off will break at some point.

Guy Mancuso

"A place to exchange ideas, techniques, experiences AND images,
where the discussions are fun, respectful and geared toward the goal of
helping each other improve all aspects of our photography."

Anything outside of this statement is unacceptable and the owners and moderators will do whatever it takes to abide by this statement and take whatever action necessary at the time to insure that is what we live by. This is what makes this forum as good as it is.