The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any rumors about a new D3--?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm curious if there is any talk out "there" about a successor to the D3s. Any rumbles about another body with a higher MP count?

thanks,
Tim

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Tim, AFAIK there's no ongoing talk about such bodies. The D3S is quite recent and the next pro body supposed to be replaced is the D700. After considering going the simple upgrade route like with the D300 & D3 to their "s" version, it sounds like Nikon had abandoned the idea at least earlier this year, and that's why there was no D700s at Photokina.

The availability of the 16Mp sensor of the new D7000 probably played a role... and now certainly constitutes a disturbing factor in Nikon strategy and marketing. Until the D7000 Nikon line was easy to read, including what you were supposed to pay more for : APS-C -> pro body -> MP count.

Problem is, nobody is sure that Nikon can either source or manufacture a FF "FX" 16, or 18 or 24Mp sensor. So except for a big surprise... (though possible every information point to Nikon investment into a whole new amateur-oriented camera concept).

As always in this industry we're dealing in conjectures. Nikon pro dealers who were initially betting on a D700 replacement in 2010 apparently don't have a clue now, except that they don't expect it anytime soon, especially taking the FX sensor into account.

Possibly all of this is wrong, and we'll see a D800 and/or a D4/D5 in January.

Or, wait... maybe Leica will supply a sensor? :rolleyes:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I can easily predict what Nikon will do. All I have to do is go to the store and plunk down the cash for the D3s and within a few weeks of that date, Nikon will start promoting their new D5 with FF, 22 MP and a DR of 11 in a D700 body for $2,599.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sold my D3 to Lloyd, my D700 here also .... bought a Sony A900.

Would trade it for a D3s in a heartbeat....great color on the Sony but very limited system that seems stuck in a timewarp.

Now have a Sony EX1R for video that I love but will probably move back to Nikon with the D3s for stills.... nothing on the immediate horizon for them but I really do not care.

They are on a terror with new lenses and a few more megapixels translates to little when you look at output sizes.

High ISO good peripherals and robust build quality...plus get an upper body workout every time you shoot.

However, Tim

If you buy soon let me know ... I may wait a week or two to see how this shakes out.:ROTFL:

Bob

m_driscoll

Tim,

I look at all the "rumors" sites and haven't seen any conjecture on a new "D3s" replacement. The D700 replacement seems pushed off to next year. I'd sold mine, but, I like the size, so, I just bought another D700 body. Equipment junky that I am, i've pre-ordered a D7000, also.

I'm with you, they'll probably announce the D700 replacement next week!

IMHO, the D3s is enough better then the D3 to justify it (if you've won the lottery recently).

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Okay--- now we know what the real market trigger is. Please proceed, Tim :ROTFL:

Bob- you're absolutely right about the few MP. My point though was that introducing a new 12MP pro body now that the D7000 is out sounds like a tough one, to say the least, from the marketing standpoint.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Okay--- now we know what the real market trigger is. Please proceed, Tim :ROTFL:
OK, I'll do it. But I want you to know that it's strictly out of my respect for all of you and my desire to see you all end up with the camera you want. I'll take a hit for you guys, just don't forget it when it's your turn.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Sure thing. You'll be first in line to get a copy of the new body's firmware :D

Seirously, i don't know exactly the current second hand market, but if video is not a requirement, nor the super high ISO or higher pixel count, there should be excellent deals out there for low mileage under warranty D3 and D700.

They're excellent bodies, and color is more than OK since the early 2010 firmware release.

Maybe not for you Tim, but it's still something to consider for many prospecting buyers.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bob- you're absolutely right about the few MP. My point though was that introducing a new 12MP pro body now that the D7000 is out sounds like a tough one, to say the least, from the marketing standpoint.
For fun & giggles try: D800 & D4 Rumors

If true, then I've got to think that a 34MP D4x is going to be an absolute bitch in showing up your lens quality and no doubt sample variations too. :eek:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Graham, interesting news.
Two comments: considering the previsional dates it sounds like the info about the sensors' availability could be true, and that Nikon need to work on these FF/FX sensors -in house production or not.
After all, nothing's new otherwise. Maybe SD card, and possibly a couple of ISO stops in the top model, but that's minor details in terms of R&D.

The readability of the new line (if the rumors sustain reality check)
Let's see:
- top amateur body 16MP video high ISO + dual card (until now reserved to top pro bodies)
- entry level pro body 24 MP (!!) high ISO (dual card ?). Sounds terrific, though expected for already some time.
- pro body lower pixel count (16 MP) vs. higher ISO performance and possibly some fps + dual card.
- top pro body 34 MP, good to high ISO performance. All good.

A lot of confusion factors for the customers at the time of choice, and the whole thing might indeed turn into a marketing nightmare, and trap, for Nikon.

Especially for the D3(s) replacement which would be placed in an even dodgier position than before.

All that being said, wait and see.
D700 and D3(s) replacement are already almost a year late, and with the uncertainty about sensors, nothing will probably be certain for a while.

Things will happen till then.

m_driscoll

I was going to post the Nikon Rumors article, but Graham beat me to it. Gentlemen, Thank me. I just bought a new D700 body last week, so, i probably triggered this. Or, Tim bought a D3s and triggered it?

I returned the D700 body today. Might as well wait. I, also, seemed to notice an IQ quality difference between my D3s and the D700. I think the D3s is better at every ISO. I still have a D7000 on pre-order. They won't announce a replacement before they release it; will they?

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Graham, interesting news.
Two comments: considering the previsional dates it sounds like the info about the sensors' availability could be true, and that Nikon need to work on these FF/FX sensors -in house production or not.
After all, nothing's new otherwise. Maybe SD card, and possibly a couple of ISO stops in the top model, but that's minor details in terms of R&D.

The readability of the new line (if the rumors sustain reality check)
Let's see:
- top amateur body 16MP video high ISO + dual card (until now reserved to top pro bodies)
- entry level pro body 24 MP (!!) high ISO (dual card ?). Sounds terrific, though expected for already some time.
- pro body lower pixel count (16 MP) vs. higher ISO performance and possibly some fps + dual card.
- top pro body 34 MP, good to high ISO performance. All good.

A lot of confusion factors for the customers at the time of choice, and the whole thing might indeed turn into a marketing nightmare, and trap, for Nikon.

Especially for the D3(s) replacement which would be placed in an even dodgier position than before.

All that being said, wait and see.
D700 and D3(s) replacement are already almost a year late, and with the uncertainty about sensors, nothing will probably be certain for a while.

Things will happen till then.
Price point will be interesting. The D3s seems targeted to sports/journalism. It's a great camera now. A few more MP would be OK, but 24mp, or 34mp would be overkill for that.
D300s to D7000 15mp - $1,200
D700 to D800 24mp - $2,699
D3s to D4 16mp - $5,600
D3x to D4x 34mp - $7,300

Seems to be a big gap between the D800 and the D4? It will, also, be interesting to see what Canon's response is. Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a wild guess: I think the next Nikon camera will be an FX body based on the D7000. There are lots of large FF/FX bodies around, but none that are compact. This would clearly give Nikon the edge over the competition, and the specs of the D7000 are so god that they only really need to change the prism/housing and the mirror box.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I returned the D700 body today. Might as well wait. I, also, seemed to notice an IQ quality difference between my D3s and the D700. I think the D3s is better at every ISO.
I think that the D3s is a phenomenal camera and that there is a distinct improvement compared to the D3/D700 sensors. I know of at least two folks here who even dropped their D3x's in part due to the tremendous capabilities and image quality of this camera. In fact, I also just traded my D3x with a friend of mine :eek: but only because I need to pay for a new MFDB but a factor that made this even vaguely conceivable for me was actually the fact that the D3s does such a good job overall.

As part of my trade I picked up another D3 to go with the D3s because i need it for a wildlife safari later in the month. However, this reminds me again of the fact that I found the D3 -> D3s a worthwhile upgrade for both imaging and ergonomic reasons.

Personally I think that Nikon understand their customers and also recognize how p*****d we'd be if they constantly upgraded/replaced the high end DSLRs like some other companies do. As a D series shooter I'm in no hurry for lots more pixels. I do think that the D4 move to more pixels is inevitable and so long as it has the same characteristics as the D3s it'll be a winner. A D4x almost has to be a super premium model again like D3x - no doubt folks will bitch and moan about it again but i have to say that I've NEVER regretted getting the D3x at it's apparent noise bleed DSLR pricing.

I like that Nikon's upgrade cycle is frustratingly long personally. I do think that they need a 5D II peer competitor though.