The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Saying hello and some opening shots

Arne Hvaring

This is my first post here at the GetDPI Workshop Forums, so hello everyone. First of all, congratulations to Guy and Jack with the success of the site. You've attracted a lot of talented cntributors here, and I've already had the pleasure of following a number of interesting and entertaining threads.
Some of the people here I know from the FM Forum (I'm known as photoArne over there btw), my first encounter with Guy and Jack goes back to the old RG forum. So I suppose it's about time for me to register here and try to contribute in a small manner.

Those who know me may wonder why I put my first post on the Nikon board as I mainly use Canon and Leica equipment. Well, I just got a D3 ( a decision somewhat influenced by posts on this board :)) and am trying to come to grips with this landmark camera. More about that later.

For now, here are a few early shots with the D3. First 3 from the south of France, last one from Norway.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hey Arne, great to see you here !
I have always admired your work deeply and I'm looking so much forward to see your contributions to this great community.
Congrats with the D3, I think you will be surprised.
Beautifull images !
Stor hilsen
Steen

jonoslack

Welcome Arne
I'm not sure if we've met before, but we are at least mutual D3 victims.

I love especially that last shot with the lichen.

jlm

Workshop Member
Arne:
your consistently outstanding photos are the reason I keep checking the alternative image threads on FM. glad to see you here

john

woodyspedden

Aarne

I* have followed your work for a few years in the FM alternative lens thread and have really admired much of your work. It will be great to have you here to learn from your work and comments.

Woody

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Arne:
your consistently outstanding photos are the reason I keep checking the alternative image threads on FM. glad to see you here

john
I second that! In addition to Guy's historic DMR thread on FM, Arne's images from the DMR really sold me on getting one, although, I will add that I have greatly admired Arne's images from any system he uses.

A warm welcome to you, Arne.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Arne wonderful to see you join in on the fun. Really great you decided to join , we have outstanding members here and we learn a lot and in the process have a lot of fun doing it . So please kick your shoes off and hang out. Guy

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice to see you here, Arne. Looking forward to see more of your great photos in what must be the friendliest photo forum in the universe :)

David K

Workshop Member
Arne... I remember you and your images well from the FM alt site (I was zaknat over there). Good to have you over here too. Great colors in those posted shots, and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Beautiful shots, Arne. It looks like the D3 is a good tool for you.
I'm glad to see you here. I remember you from the alternative lens threads at FM. Welcome.

etrigan63

Well Arne, I don't know you, and I don't hang out at FM's site. I hope to get to know you and learn from you. Excellent shots! And welcome to this group of friends.

Arne Hvaring

Thanks everyone, I'm overwhelmed. Hopefully I can live up to it all :D.
I believe Jorgen is right, this is indeed the friendliest of photo forums and I promise to do my part to keep it that way.

robmac

Arne

Welcome - looking fwd to seeing some of your great work here. Rob MacLellan. Love shots 2, 3 BTW. One of the nicest things of this forum is the payers are very agnostic - whatever works, regardless of who makes it.

Looking fwd to your impressions of the D3.

Arne Hvaring

Hello Rob,
yeah, I suspected robmac would be you :) Glad to see you're making some great contributions to this forum.
As for the D3, although it's early days yet, here are some impressions. This camera is *fast*, and I don't mean only fps, but everything; AF, appearance of image on the LCD screen, start up, you name it. It makes me realise just how slow my M8 is...
Viewfinder is big and bright, but 1DsIII slightly bigger and brighter. Manual focusing OK, but not optimal. File quality (or rather resolution) a little dissapointing at base ISO, this may or may not improve as I optimize PP and explore the most suitable glass. OTOH file quality holds up amazingly well at high ISO, this is no hype. Colours are very good, subtly differentiated developing with NX, a highly complex RAW converter with some unique and useful capabitlities.
I'm less happy with the way Live-view is implemented. I use LV a lot and mainly for precision focusing (with a loupe on the LCD screen), i.e. on tripod and MLU. With Canon this is a breeze; select MLU from the menu (yes I know, how difficult can it be to dedicate a button to this most useful feature, but they seem impervious to reason) then switch on LV by pushing the set button, focus, leave LV by pushing the set button and expose. On the D3 you first have to choose LV by turning the little wheel top left (after releasing it by pushing a knob) then switch LV on by pushing the release button on the camera, focus, and then leave LV by turning the same wheel and choosing MLU. IOW you can't have LV and MLU operating at the same time because both functions are on the same wheel and you can only select one at a time. Then the same procedure for next photo. Not brilliant.
Having said that I must add that the screen on the D3 is very good for focusing, the Canon screen is just adequate.
All this IMO of course and (most likely) subject to change as I gain more experience with the beast. Hope it can be of some use.

etrigan63

I use LV a lot and mainly for precision focusing (with a loupe on the LCD screen), i.e. on tripod and MLU.
Forgive me for being dense Arne, but why can't you just zoom in on the Live View image using the zoom buttons on the side of the display? That's what I do on my D300 and I don't need to use a loupe.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Arne, have you found a screen loupe that effectively blocks out sunlight and at the same time actually does magnify, in that case I would be interested in the brand and product name ?

(Carlos, I think the main point is to block out sunlight, but so far I have never tried a screen loupe myself).

etrigan63

I do most of my LV work with a tabletop tent stand so the room tends to be dark around my work. Never having seen Arne's body of work (an oversight I intend to correct), I had no frame of reference for his use of LV + screen loupe.

Arne Hvaring

Carlos, sure you can use the zoom, but zooming in on various elements in the image to check sharpness is rather slow and tedious and sometimes difficult (sunlight). My method is to enlarge the image a bit (the important part that I want to be in focus) with the zoom and then fine-tune focus with the loupe. The loupe has a 45 mm coverage (see post below) so it's fast and easy to work with. Of course if the subject is such that you only need to check sharpness at one or two specific points then just zooming in works very well.

Arne Hvaring

Arne, have you found a screen loupe that effectively blocks out sunlight and at the same time actually does magnify, in that case I would be interested in the brand and product name ?

(Carlos, I think the main point is to block out sunlight, but so far I have never tried a screen loupe myself).
Steen, below a picture of one of my battered 4x loupes that I've used for the last 15+ years. Originally used directly on the groundglass of my view-cameras, now revived to aid in focusing the latest digital wonders :)
It came with two exchangeable skirts, one translucent and one black (to keep light out). As you can see I've taped the black skirt to keep it from falling off. Present day models look a little different, but the principle is the same. It blocks a lot of extraneous light, but direct sunlight from the side is still annoying so I might have to revive my dark-cloth too :D

Last edited: